Gateway FPD2185W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2185W

I ordered the capacitors from Digikey, including the logic board caps. I will post back after I have received and installed the new caps. It sounds like taking the LCD panel apart is tricky, so I am hoping the caps solve the problem.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Just finished disassembling my LCD panel. You wanna see bad CCFL's? Have a look at the top bank:

The other side:

Here are the connections on each side:

The bottom bank was not so bad, but will probably be replaced anyway:

The other side:

Looks like I found the problem in my monitor. Will be ordering new CCFL's soon. The question is, do those wires looks good? They do seem a little charred.

Comment

Good for you. Right now I wish I could reach through my monitor and throttle you. The $@#@$#%@$ oversize pictures you post inline really mess up the thread. Use 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          Good for you. Right now I wish I could reach through my monitor and throttle you. The $@#@$#%@$ oversize pictures you post inline really mess up the thread.

PlainBill
          At first yes, but the resizing fixes the alignment after the page loads...unless your screen resolution is something ridiculous like 480x320 of course. Perhaps if badcaps was hosted on an internet connection with some decent speed that doesn't make me wait minutes for attachments and allows me to browse the forum with ease, then perhaps I wouldn't have opted to do that first.

Heck, I'm doing the site a service by using bandwidth I paid for instead of wasting bandwidth paid for by the site.

Use 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.
          I will do so in future. I would do it for my previous post, but it seems I cannot edit posts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dfx View Post
            At first yes, but the resizing fixes the alignment after the page loads...unless your screen resolution is something ridiculous like 480x320 of course.
            At first I wasn't going to say anything, but now I have to.

1) In my original response, my sig file clearly says not to post inline pictures. I also mentioned to see misc suggestion 1. In that paragraph, it also says not to post inline pictures. So TWICE, I ask people not to post inline. I even use the word PLEASE.

2) While loading your inline images on my 10 inch netbook, my CPU went to 70% CPU solid for more than 60 seconds while loading and resizing your pictures. During that entire time, I can't read or do anything else because my screen goes nuts and my keyboard/mouse is unresponsive.

3) On my dual core AMD X2 CPU, it took 15 to 20 seconds of resizing, shifting the screen, etc before I could even get this reply display box. This monitor runs at 1280x1024.

4) Here are the rest of the reasons why you should not post inline

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=12

5) With manage attachments, I can "opt in" to view the pictures at higher resolution. With inline, I have no option but to view and load your pictures again and again even though I just saw them 20 minutes ago or 2 hours ago or 2 days ago. My memory isn't what it used to be, but it isn't that bad.

6) And, I don't know if this is coincidence or not, buy my browser (Opera 11.60) just crashed on this thread.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

4) Here are the rest of the reasons why you should not post inline

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=12
              There are many good points, along with many poor ones to this link. While I agree with Canadian stringent BW caps & the fact that offsite hosting comes and goes, I cannot sympathize for slow loading and small screens.

Inline-posting (or lack thereof) is not stated anywhere in the rules or the FAQ. Can be confusing for new users here, no? If the forum rules/FAQ is where new members go for a concrete starting point for etiquette in a forum, it is poorly written and needs to be updated.

Beyond that, effective websites & forums have options for scaling to a user's particular platform whether it be low-bandwidth, high-bandwidth, or mobile devices. This forum currently supports none of those features. vBulletin is highly scalable in this regard with many no cost options available. Even if it costs a little here and there to ensure a workable user experience, as it states in the rules "this website is a business". Investing in a better user experience results in less headaches and frustrations for all members.

Regarding the previous posts...again, if I had the ability to edit my own posts, I would. But in the confines of what this forum lets its users do, and not do, I am stuck with my original posting scheme.

Comment

From everything that I have read so far, I would guess that using caps from Radio Shack was a bad idea? I think I may have found this site too late..
                Also, the logic board ( 200-100-GJ2012 ) seems to have a part that rattles. a small black box on the far side of the video connections ( RBS31 )?? Can anyone identify that part?
                Attached Files

Comment

It is a tilt sensor Opto-isolator with transistor output.
                  https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...73be29385b.pdf
                  You are hearing ball moving inside.
                  Last edited by budm; 06-15-2012, 10:02 PM.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Wish i could figure out whats wrong now. Changed all the caps and now the power won't even come on. Not sure what i did...??

Comment

Originally posted by blunose5 View Post
                      Changed all the caps and now the power won't even come on.
                      1) If you used Radio Shack caps, they are likely general purpose caps and not low ESR caps. The difference between the 2 in terms of ESR can be an order of magnitude (10x).

2) Reseat and check all your connections.

3) Check all your soldering. Give each cap a gentle tug to make sure they are soldered in firmly.

4) Check the polarity of all your caps to ensure they were installed correctly.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

As above but I will add the instructions on how to post pics.
                        Welcome to the forum-
                        We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures (without Flash if possible) of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Examples of what is needed
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Got my caps from Digi-Key, going to do the work soon. Will report back afterwards..

Comment

Does any member know the value for R107 on the power supply board, mine is reading 51.2Kohms. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by elegey View Post
                              Does any member know the value for R107 on the power supply board, mine is reading 51.2Kohms. Thanks in advance.
                              Picture? position? Markings? Board part number?
                              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by whitejohnny71 View Post
                                There are six lamps. One side of each lamp connects to a bigger transformer. The other side connects to a smaller transformer, which appears to be only for sensing (although I could be wrong).
                                Probably for starting them too?
                                Originally posted by whitejohnny71 View Post
                                I swapped the returns so that the second bulb (small black wire) feeds the single lamp sensing circuit and the first one (small yellow) feeds the five piece circuit. Turns out the first bulb was pretty worn, and was making the protection trip.
                                This design uses the current through one CCFL to set the current for all six.
                                Having a similar problem with the same model here -- 2 seconds up then black, but happening intermittently for quite some time; powering of and back on sometimes helps, other times doesn't... with the frequency of the latter increasing over time.

After isolating the problem to the CCFL circuit, tested each CCFL separately by leaving their leads connected, unplugging all others; each bulb would light up before the protection kicks in (of course, leads of the other transformers would arc in the meantime)... There never was a flicker (which would indicate some bulbs going out repeatedly) and none of the leads are short to others. So, decided not to take apart the flat panel itself, since there are plastic locks all over the place and it seemed like a high chance of accidentally ripping the matrix signal leads (with obvious consequences).

Concluded that the CCFLs are worn and trip the overvoltage protection (after all, this thing has seen 7 years of use). Got a datasheet for the PWM regulator (BIT3193), cut the lead to CLAMP pin (14) and shorted it to ground, then cut the lead to ISEN pin (15) and connected it to VDD, thus disabling the overvoltage and open-load protection.

Works for the moment, not sure for how long -- talk about fixing things by turning off alarms. Next time this thing breaks, it should be with sparks and smoke, just like old TVs (you know it's time to replace the flyback transformer once it catches fire).

Comment

hello this site was a great help for me, does anyone could send me a near shot of r221 r222 near u204, i've damaged a resistor and i need to have the value of the two to be sure, the monitor won't power because of the defective crtl line thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pa3PyX View Post
                                    ... Got a datasheet for the PWM regulator (BIT3193), cut the lead to CLAMP pin (14) and shorted it to ground, then cut the lead to ISEN pin (15) and connected it to VDD, thus disabling the overvoltage and open-load protection.
                                    Without looking at the datasheet, would I be correct in assuming that cutting and grounding the clamp pin disables over-voltage protection and that cutting ISEN and pulling it up to VDD disables open-load protection?

If that's the case, would it be a valuable troubleshooting measure to disable one protection, test, then disable the other and test to isolate issues that trip only over-voltage or open-load?

Comment

That being said, how difficult/feasible would it be to completely disable the HV lamp drivers and add in an led driver circuit and replace the CFL tubes with LEDs?

Comment

Working...
                                      X