Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor Leakage Current

Hi I'm leaning the capacitor world and I would like to know if the
    Capacitor Leakage Current high or lower is better. which one?

Thank you

Re: Capacitor Leakage Current

Lower. Capacitors with high leakage current (or low insulation resistance) won't hold a voltage very well.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

In an audio circuit they can cause a high noise floor(hiss).
        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

I was checking the
          nichicon UKA
          I can't find the leakage on this cap

the UKA here don't have leakage on the datasheet. or even @ Mouser.com

and

nichicon UFW
          has a Leakage Current: 3300 uA Mouser.com

the datasheet from both cap UKA and UFW looks almost the same accept the UFW that has 63v and 100v caps besides that its very identical.

can you guys give some light in my dark tunnel and tell me if both caps has the same leakage.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by M-BX5 View Post
            I was checking the
            nichicon UKA
            I can't find the leakage on this cap

the UKA here don't have leakage on the datasheet. or even @ Mouser.com

and

nichicon UFW
            has a Leakage Current: 3300 uA Mouser.com

the datasheet from both cap UKA and UFW looks almost the same accept the UFW that has 63v and 100v caps besides that its very identical.

can you guys give some light in my dark tunnel and tell me if both caps has the same leakage.

Thank you.
            On the UKA series, leakage is specified in the chart of "Performance Characteristics", above the matrix of values and voltages. The same is true of the UFW series, and the leakage specification for the two series is the same.
            Last edited by PeteS in CA; 05-30-2017, 09:54 AM.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
              On the UKA series, leakage is specified in the chart of "Performance Characteristics", above the matrix of values and voltages. The same is true of the UFW series, and the leakage specification for the two series is the same.

Thank you. you made it very clear for me now, since some vendors tell you the leakage in one cap but not in other. Now for sure i can look the chart and get it right next time.

Thank you again.

I'm still leaning

Comment

Originally posted by M-BX5 View Post
                Thank you. you made it very clear for me now, since some vendors tell you the leakage in one cap but not in other. Now for sure i can look the chart and get it right next time.

Thank you again.

I'm still leaning
                The only time you should worry about learning is when you've stopped.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                  The only time you should worry about learning is when you've stopped.

That not going to happen.

Comment

Capacitor leakage current is an important parameter in amplifier coupling circuits or in power supply circuits. Best choices for coupling and storage applications being Teflon and the other plastic capacitor types (polypropylene, polystyrene, etc) because the lower the dielectric constant, the higher the insulation resistance.

Comment

Working...
                    X