X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

hello to all,

I am a computer tech for over 20 years. I have raveled all around the country to install systems and teach others. I am in no way an all electronic repair person like my dad was he would take on anything and usually he could fix it.

Comment

Hello,

I'm looking for some information regarding fixing my Dell Motherboard from our Server.

I was initially thinking it had 'capacitor plague' but then on closer inspection I found that dell had used Rubycon MCZ caps, which are supposed to be good ?

Well I have about 10 out of 50 which have broken the vent, or have lifted off the PCB and look 'suspect' - several have vented brown crusty stuff !

So I'm looking for advice :-)

Comment

Hello all. I'm Andy and I've already used some great info to fix a LG Plasma in my garage. I look forward to learning more!

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hi--I came upon this site while searching for help with my Panasonic plasma and its blinks of death. I'll look around a bit and then probably start a thread. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hello to all, my name is Mike Castillo and I live in sunny South Florida.
              Right now it's a balmy, and I mean 70% humidity balmy, 77 degrees.
              I am an arborist by trade and I have always loved to tinker and repair electronic/robotic toys. I have recently discovered how to make minor repairs to flat screen televisions and I actually enjoy it, even more than fixing toys.
              I am also a certified GM technician from the muscle car era; that's from 1960 up to 1972.
              I enjoy NASCAR Racing and absolutely love Landscaping and Arboriculture.
              Topcat, thank you for making this forum happen and existing. I look forward to gleaming all the knowledge and experiences I can get through-out the postings in your forum. You kinda remind me of MR. Big..

Regards to all of you electronistas...

Mike Castillo

Comment

Hi all,

Name: Gyanendra Bhattarai
                Address: Kansas City, Missouri

No experience in repairing electronics but do some like this for my own instruments.

Purpose of joining the network:

Well being honest, though I have interested in electronics and repairing, I had not known about this site. Recently, the backlight of my Samsung UN32F5500afxza smart TV went bad and started searching for repair. Today, I found this site and wanted to join.

Story:
                My TV is just 1 year old and samsung warranty just ended. Thinking that the problem might be because of PS failure, I ordered one PS board from eBay. But that did not help. I opened the LED panel. The set has 5 LED strips with 9 LEDS on each. I found that one of the strip had open circuit. As I am not experienced, I burned two strips entirely while trying fixing.

I had a 5m LED strip (12 V, 4.8 watt/meter) and thought of using the leds. But, the power that the board sends to led panel seems to be 51.2 Watt (160 V, 320 mA from PS output reading) which is 10.24 watt, 32 V per strip as they seem to be in series. I combined the led strips (series combo of 3 strips = 36 V and parallel combo to make 240 mA) and replaced two LED strips of TV. Now, the TV is working for 2 days ( though the light is not uniform) but don't know when the leds burn again.

Purpose:

1. I want to know if I can find the LED strips somewhere to buy (TV model again, UN32F5500afxza.

if Not,

2. If I can find surface mount LEDs suitable to fix the strips. ( I believe 3.5 V, 320 mA) but not sure if the reading on PS board is the correct value that goes to LED panel.

If not,

3. Another crazy thinking: If I can take 12 V output somewhere from TV ( when switched on, preferably from LED supply so the PS board does not feel overload) to drive 12V led strips (very cheap) and replace all the original LEDS. The down side if possible is I can not change the backlight level. However, I can watch my TV.

Comment

Elloo,

Im Alex, im in my mid 20s and come from nsw Australia. I enjoy pulling pretty much anything apart to figure out how it works, or if it doesnt work to fix it! (i draw the line at living things, dont worry)
                  Electronic or mechanical, cars are just messier when you pull them apart...

A good number of things i own actually ive gained either for free, or a very small price. Either because its been thrown out or as an ex warranty product.
                  Ive figured hey, if it isnt fubar i can probably fix it, and thats served me very well!

No formal training, just a Dad whos an electrician and repairman and a lot of self learning

Comment

Kishorko,

Best bet is to first search the forum, "LED backlight replacement" for example.

If its not already answered, start a new thread in the right section and someone can help

Comment

Names chris and im from south jersey. Trying to help a friend out an I found this wonderful website so glad to be a part of it!

Comment

Hi, my name is Jason, I am from Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Hello! I'm Jani from Finland and registered here to find solution for my samsung le46c755 problem.

Comment

Hi, I'm kymita from Viet Nam. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi, folks.
                              I'm Ade from the UK.
                              About to dismantle my HP laptop.
                              It will never be the same again!
                              Cheers . . .

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                I'm Jeremy, and after fixing one at work I've suddenly become the TV repair guy for my friends. I hope this forum will be able to help me help them

Comment

Hello,
                                  I'm Tom. I've been using this site as a referenc for years now. I've finally come across an issue that hasn't already been solved and need to stop lurking about and start posting some questions!

Comment

Hello,
                                    Im Mike, great info here!

Comment

Hellow my name is Joe and My hat is off to all the post of great wisdom. I like this forum because I love to tinker around with bad electrical stuff. Find good advice in all forums. I live in sunny CA and I love it. Thanks jhd2112

Comment

Hello all My name is Scott

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                        As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                        So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                        where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Hi my name is Joe and I am working on a Magnavox 50MF231D/37 that I got for Free! it had bad power supply because it smoked two capacitors 35V 470uF 105C replaced. I got power to all boards and adjusted all voltage to right settings + or - 2v. I do not have video or sound but all boards light up but the asic main logic board has one led power side light on and on start up one lower has two leds one lights and goes out and the other starts flashing. Is the main logic board fried?

Comment

Working...
                                          X