Cheapskate Webcam design.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapskate Webcam design.

Recently I have been using skype to video chat with buddies abroad. While the webcam I use with my laptop is running great, the old crappy Quickcam Chat I had was DOA.

I happened to have the remains of an EEE PC 1000HEb lid that I pilfered a screen out of last fall... combine that with a skinny useless Canon USB cord and you get:

Yes, I used double-sided tape to attach it. To connect it to the computer, I chopped off the mini-USB plug from the donor cable and solder spliced it to the cable pulled from the EEE lid.

Splice pattern:

EEE cable : Standard USB

Black : Red (5V+)
    Brown : White (Data+)
    Red : Green (Data-)
    Orange : Black (GND)

So far it has been working great.

However, it has no built-in Mic so I am using this instead:

What happened was I was given this Logitech stand Mic for free but the base was slipping and wasn't really fixable. I had tried bolting it to something but that failed (hence why it's drilled out). This desing, Using a 462 Cooler clip, zip ties, and an old bolt (counterweight) actually works pretty well. I may eventually get a headset mic but for now this will do. Besides, its noisy down in the basement and webcam mics picked up too much background clutter.

Pretty ghetto, eh?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 07-09-2012, 12:12 AM. Reason: Fixed a photo error.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Cheapskate Webcam design.

You might edit your name out of that first pic....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I will... Locking the thread in the mean time, as the cable to the webcam broke
      sigpic

Comment

not bad. i like the junk-drawer engineering.
        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

no pics of the fix

It was probably the hardest solder mod I've done in some time... I stole a mini-usb jack off a dead mp3 player, nipped the "x" pin between pins 3 and 4, and nudged over pin 4 to make the legs match the solder pads.

after soldering all 6 joints (4 data + 2 anchors), I added super glue to reinforce the jack.... I accidentally glued the USB cable into the jack in the process, at least it's solid

the tape isn't working too well... I'll probably just buy another webcam but I figured this would be a fun project.

once I get that pic edited this is going back to the public forum.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Fixed.

Still no pics of the final job, as it has been finicky... I should have remembered that that particular cable was on the "iffy" list before I glued it into the plug... . I wish there was a good way to fix that... oh well, I'll probably buy a webcam like I was going to in the first place.
            sigpic

Comment

You should put it inside the monitor, and take the mic out of the stand and stick that in the monitor too.
              Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

Originally posted by gilly1984 View Post
                You should put it inside the monitor, and take the mic out of the stand and stick that in the monitor too.
                now THAT would be epic...

Comment

Now how did I miss this thread?

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Pretty ghetto, eh?
                  No, genius! Like stretch, I too think "junk-drawer engineering" is quite awesome.

Don't buy new webcam - make something creative with this one. gilly1984's suggestion would indeed yield epic results if you made it.
                  If you have time, have a look at my headphone amp thread. I used mostly junk parts for that and very soon this week I'll be posting pictures of the case too (which, doesn't even look ghetto or rigged at all - in fact quite the opposite IMO).

Comment

Umm... It broke. The glue and solder holding the jack to the board broke before the glue holding the bad cable into the plug did.

I'll buy a new one when the time comes...
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X