X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    This single-transistor self oscillating design is crap. It should not be used in any electronic device, except for perhaps a classroom experiment.
    Yeah it's kinda cool to see just how basic you can go with something like that
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Notice that it is the same model with this charger but they are different inside.

They never fail. I don't think they are so bad after all.

Comment

They may not fail, but these single-transistor self-osc. designs have absolutely no feedback. I guess for a phone, that is okay since the phone does have some high quality internal regulators to charge the battery. Just don't try to use those chargers for anything else that requires a constant, stable voltage.
        I'm still surprised Astec would build something like that, though. I have a bunch of old PSUs made by them, and they are all top-notch, high quality inside with all Japanese caps.

Comment

As far as I can see, the first one mariushm posted doesn't actually say Astec.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

FSP FSP-300-60GHS

180uF 420V Teapo LH primary unit.
            2200uF 16V OST RLS before +5VSB inductor with 1000uF 16V Suscon HG after it.
            2200uF Teapo SZ before and after +3.3V inductor.
            1000uF 16V Suscon HG before and after +5V inductor.
            1000uF 16V Suscon HG before +12V inductors and on both +12V rails after each inductor.
            1000uF 16V Suscon HG for -12V rail.

SDB30A40CT rectifier for +3.3V and +5V rails.
            STPS30L45CT rectifier for +12V rail.
            GBU606 primary side rectifier.

FSBH0270 IC for +5VSB.
            FDP18N50 with BYC5-600 rectifier for PFC stage.
            AOTF8N50 x2 for output stage.
            Attached Files
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

An otherwise nice design let down by trashy capacitors.
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Looks on par with the FSP250-60HEN...which isn't saying much. After a recap, I'd prefer this, or maybe even this, even though they have no PFC.

Comment

Those heat sinks look awful
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah, as Fortron increses efficiency, they use smaller and smaller heatsinks.
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

yeah, but they are still too small (unless that PSU is 80+ platinum, which I doubt very much)
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That's why, despite general talk, their PSU's aren't really quiet
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          Agreed, I've seen much bigger heatsinks on stuff like L&C and Powmax...

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                            Might look inadequate at first glance but it's really not.
                            FSP-300-60GHS is an SFX type and it's 80+.
                            20% of 300w is only 60w of heat to cool [for the whole supply at 100% load] and due to the reduced casing size the 80mm fan is basically right on the PCB.
                            That's a lot of air for a little guy..
                            Hardware Secrets tested this one and he had to do it at 39C because he couldn't get enough heat out of it to make the test box heat to 45C.
                            It looked like a good unit all the way around.
                            Shame on FSP for the crappy caps though.
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-11-2012, 08:32 AM.
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Here is whats inside a nice AT Compaq PSU. I saved it from getting "recycled". The cover is all messed up with some brown goo...
                              It's a 150W unit; +5V 18A, +12V 4A, -5V .3A -12V .4A. There was almost no dust inside. I couldn't find out anything about the OEM but it sure has quality all over it. It works fine too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
                                Here is whats inside a nice AT Compaq PSU. I saved it from getting "recycled". The cover is all messed up with some brown goo...
                                It's a 150W unit; +5V 18A, +12V 4A, -5V .3A -12V .4A. There was almost no dust inside. I couldn't find out anything about the OEM but it sure has quality all over it. It works fine too.
                                UL Number?
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

It says something in the first pic on the right edge of the board

G???EN PO??? (power?) SYSTEMS INC

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                    UL Number?
                                    I havent found any UL number on the label just comaq spare, part numebr and s/n. On the pcb its writen: GOLDEN POWER SYSTEMS and product of India. All I found was that it's a Compaq GPC150 4000K Power supply.

Comment

Maybe it's OK with a helicopter grade fan, but my first reaction, just seeing the thumbnails, was, "Where's the beef?!"

The core of the O/P inductor has me curious. A Micrometals -26 core is painted yellow, with one side painted white. It's a very decent GP core, assuming it's sized right, the switch frequency isn't too high, and cooling is decent. A better choice is the -52 material, which, IIRC, is green body with one side blue - lower loss (less heat!), better for higher switch frequencies. That core looks to be black, with writing on it.
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I really wouldn't like to rip apart that inductor The core is yellow, it's visable at the bottom where windings are less dense.

Comment

Yeah, those coupled inductors - where most or all the O/Ps have windings on the one core - are not as simple as they seem. The number of turns and wire gauge for each winding, and the order in which the windings are wound are optimized so that the inductor helps with the regulation of the O/Ps that are not part of the main regulator loop. Sounds like the core is Micrometals -26 material, which has been standard for use in P/S since before 1980, when I started working with power supplies.
                                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X