ATTN Gmail users: new Tabbed Interface may hide Badcaps Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN Gmail users: new Tabbed Interface may hide Badcaps Notifications

I just got this email fowarded from my mother... and FYI, if you do use gmail, it WILL affect your Badcap.net notification emails.

(in the context of a company she works for)

Dear Janet
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate to bother you on a summer Friday when you are getting ready for your weekend,
    but I felt this was too important to not share with you as soon as possible!

In case you didn't know, Gmail has decided to filter your messages on your behalf
    and, that means a lot of important messages you've asked to receive will likely
    be kind of, sort of, hidden from you -- including the ones from Market Viewpoint.

[company stuff removed]

Over the next couple of weeks, Gmail is phasing in a new "tabbed inbox" system.
    Yours may still look the way it always has, but it won't soon.

This tabbed system splits your mail into up to 5 different categories across the
    top (Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates, and Forums.)

By itself, it's not such a bad idea, after all - who doesn't like a little bit of
    sorting and organizing? But then they took it a little too far, at least we think
    they did.

They've decided FOR YOU how to sort your mail. That means a lot of emails you asked
    to receive will automatically be sent to "promotions" where you are unlikely to
    find them. If you've subscribed to updates or information from bloggers and other
    websites -- including ours -- they likely will not show up in your regular email
    box. They will be hidden in the Promotions tab.

Fortunately, you can take back the power!

1. When you open your Gmail account, look to see if the new tabs have been turned
    on yet (if not, they will be soon.)

2. If they are on, click on the Promotions tab and simply drag the messages from
    people you want to hear from into the Primary tab. It's supposed to ask you if
    you want future emails from that person to go to the Primary inbox. If so, just
    say yes.

3. For the next little bit, just make sure to regularly check your Promotions tab
    to make sure you haven't lost any messages there. This way we will be sure you
    don't miss out on job opportunities and special announcements from Market Viewpoint.

To your success,

Angela Megasko
    Market Viewpoint, LLC
    Well, I checked mine, and what do ya know, all my BCN notifications ended up there in promotions. The instructions worked.

FYI, I do get a lot (one per subscribed thread that gets an update on a given day, plus reported posts and other notifications)... so much that usually windows live mail will try to flag them as spam.

However, if you don't get that much, this gmail thing may still affect you... and other stuff too (other forums, facebook, ETCG Premium membership, etc.). My inbox was pretty farked up when I took a look.

I'm not sure if it affects POP/IMAP folders or not... my guess would be "no", but I was using a rig w/o an email client and I didn't feel like dragging out a rig that did. However, I bet it does affect the android gmail app... but again, I didn't feel like checking.

Just thought I'd let you all know.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: ATTN Gmail users: new Tabbed Interface may hide Badcaps Notifications

^ hence why i use thunderbird with folder compression disabled because its not affected by this. but i need to check this out along with an error.
    Last edited by goontron; 08-02-2013, 05:19 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Yeah, that annoyed me so. The instructions in the OP worked.
      Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
      I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Fuckin google!

(Pardon me!)

And, where it used to say 'inbox', it now says 'Primary'. What the hell is that supposed to mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I was wondering why the badcaps.net forum notifications weren't showing up!...
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I turned the tabs off as soon as I saw them.

Comment

You can also set Gmail to display in "HTML version" only. Not only does it speed up Gmail considerably, but it also gets rid of all of these "new and improved" features that really only make you pull your hair.

Microsoft has a similar option as well. I think it's called something like blind and low-vision experience. Once you enable it, it too runs 100x faster with all of nonsense turned off.

I wish Yahoo! gave me that option. Those bastards add and remove stuff as they please and then shove it down your throat, no questions asked.

Comment

Working...
            X