Westinghouse TW-80001-S024A Flashing red power led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse TW-80001-S024A Flashing red power led

This monitor was knocked over by the household kitty (another reason to have a dog). It caused the connection where the external power supply connects to be a little loose. The owner tried to fix it himself, and it worked for awhile, but eventually it must have shorted something out.

The power supply tests at 12.5v. I found bad caps at EC1 and C58, both 470uf, 16v, on the power board. I had replaced these and powered it up.

When turned on, the power board/inverter connection shows proper voltages, but the on/off wire is not on and the red power led flashes. I then found another bad cap at C5, 220uf, 25v, on the inverter.

The inverter also has a blown fuse at F1, not sure what size.

There are two 8 pin smd's on the inverter board labeled U1 and U2. When I test them with the ohm meter two legs across from each other on U1 show a closed circuit, which is different from U2. B3942, C8501, T0820 is what is printed on each of them, and appears to be a mosfet?

I am learning electronics and have only gotten to this problem a couple of times and am in over my head. Can someone help me with what steps to try next to figure out if this can be repaired within reason before trying to replace one or two parts at a time and hoping it will work? I realize something shorted to blow the fuse, but is it the mosfet, or does something else short that causes the mosfet to short also, could there be a dozen components that also got shorted?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Westinghouse TW-80001-S024A Flashing red power led

Just for kicks I tested for shorts in the transformers at T1 and T2 on the inverter bd. Both showed .8 ohms with the meter at 2k, across the secondary.
    T1 on the primary side showed the bottom 4 leads all closed (with each other), and the top 3 open.
    T2 showed all of the primary leads closed with each other except the 3rd leg from the top.
    Don't have a flyback tester...

Comment

Any suggestions on whether anyone thinks the transformers are OK or not? If they are OK, I think I will try to find the mosfets and fuse and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

I am having trouble finding the replacement mosfets. The number is B3942, and I have attached some info from a datasheet (the complete pdf was too large to attach), but I don't know how to find a suitable alternative.

(I am beginning to think that kitty jokes are not in good taste in this forum?)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sceva
          This monitor was knocked over by the household kitty (another reason to have a dog).
          I'm not so sure about that. We were watching our 50" plasma the other night and a commercial came on that had a large dog, full screen.
          Our 1 year old Golden leapt off the couch barking at it. Luckily the 50" is above the fireplace. Had it been lower, I might be posting plasma boards for sale....

'course we have 2 goldens AND a cat (formerly 2 cats, that fought) and I recently finished fixing a DMM that got, umm christened by one of them.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason
            Our 1 year old Golden leapt off the couch barking at it.
            It's incredible how lifelike TV is these days.

Any suggestions on how I can find alternative mosfets or if it appears the transformer is bad? - btw, I tested the transformers on the board, and maybe the shorted component is in circuit with the transformer?

Comment

Something is shorted out on the inverter board. I don't have the best tools for working on a board like this. Does anyone have a spare they would like to sell? The part number on the back of the board is Honja, HI04AO-7A3. A pic is in the first post. Thanks.

Comment

I have given up on repairing the inverter, or finding an exact replacement, but I am now wondering if I can swap another inverter board. There is plenty of room in the case to modify it.

On the current inverter the pins (per attached datasheet) are:
                pin 1 & 2 12v : 10.8 - 13.2V
                pin 3 Von/off : On 2.8 - 5V, Off 0 - 1V
                pin 4 Vb dimming control : 0V Max, 5V Min
                pin 5 & 6 ground

I have another inverter out of a Viewsonic VP930B, part number IS159. I can't find a datasheet for it, but I was able to test it with its original Power supply and it showed these voltages when the backlights were on:
                Pin 1 & 2 : 12V
                Pin 3 & 5 : ground
                Pin 4 : 3.6V
                Pin 6 : 2.4V

I was not able to dim the Viewsonic to see if pin 4 or 6 was the dimming control.

Anyone know how I can figure out which pin is Von/off and which is dimming?

Thanks.
                Attached Files

Comment

Trial and Error is probably the quickest,Apply and external(bty)3volts to either pin 4 or 6 ,and the one that lights the lamps is the on/off.You cannot damage anything if you put it on the wrong one first
                  regards

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                    Trial and Error is probably the quickest,Apply and external(bty)3volts to either pin 4 or 6 ,and the one that lights the lamps is the on/off.You cannot damage anything if you put it on the wrong one first
                    regards
                    It was pin 6. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Any luck in finding the B3942 I have a smoked chip as well. Everthing else checks out good. cant find a replacement. main board is good but inverter board cap was bad and shorted and burned up one of the chips label B3942.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalsnakes View Post
                        Any luck in finding the B3942 I have a smoked chip as well. Everthing else checks out good. cant find a replacement. main board is good but inverter board cap was bad and shorted and burned up one of the chips label B3942.
                        Sceva only supplied a partial datasheet, and I haven't had any luck identifying the original part. The part doesn't seem to list the design voltage and current, and I'm not smart enough to figure out what they are from the data given.

What you are looking for is a dual N and P channel MOS FET an SOP-8 (or 8-SOP) package. A POSSIBLE replacement part is the Rohm SH8M24TB1

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalsnakes View Post
                          I don't have the datasheet any longer, but here is some info I found that might help in your search:
                          B3942
                          30V/6.9A,
                          RDS(ON)=25m&@VGS=10V (N-Ch)
                          30V/5.8A,
                          RDS(ON)=40m&@VGS=4.5V (N-Ch)
                          -30V/-6.1A,
                          RDS(ON)=35m&@VGS=-10V (P-Ch)
                          -30V/-5.1A,

RDS(ON)=58m&@VGS=-4.5V

Super High Density Cell Design for
                          Extremely Low RDS(ON)
                          Exceptional On-Resistance and
                          Maximum DC Current
                          SOP-8 Package

By the way, I kept this one and it is working well after several weeks. My only complaint is the resolution isn't as high as I prefer.

Comment

Original datasheet at

page 41 at (long URL at google docs, hopefully it cut and pastes properly)

--- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Will this help
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bonney View Post
                                Will this help
                                Yes, it does. We're looking for a dual N-channel P-Channel mosfet in a SOT-8 package rated at 30V and 6.9A (N-ch) and 6.1A (P-ch). The Rohm SH8M2TB1 might work, but the maximum current is rather low. Mouser doesn't seem to have anything at all that meets the description.

I suspect I'm not entering search parameters correctly; this is a common configuration on inverters.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Have a look at Fairchild Semiconductor FDS8958A

Comment

Originally posted by bonney View Post
                                    Have a look at Fairchild Semiconductor FDS8958A
                                    Those have enough current capacity. I have two reservations about them. The package appears to be different 8-SOT vs 8-SOIC and this has logic level inputs. I'm not sure what kind of inputs the original parts have.

PlainBill

Comment

Hello to all, i am a new member here.
                                      I use an fsd8958a on the place off b3942 and work fine to me.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to all, i am a new member here.
                                        MY Westinghouse TW-80001-S024A AFTER I REPLACE THE INVERTER NO DISPLAY
                                        BUT THE bakelite IS OK
                                        CAN ENY BODY TEL MY WHAT TO DO ?
                                        SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

Comment

Working...
                                        X