old OC rig suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old OC rig suggestions

I fianlly found th missing parts to an old HEC case I had sitting.

the case needs repainted and the front door latch redesigned (old one broke), but otherwise is in good shape.

it has room for 4 case fans; an 80mm on the forward middle right (by the hdd cage) and 92mm on the right side (center), lower front, and back (below PSU, where the cpu would be).

it is the beefiest case I have ever seen.

it also has 2 usb 2.0 ports and a firewire on the front

the issue is I have virtually nothing to put in it, aside from an asus s462 board that has one of the rear usb ports burned out.

I also am semi cash-strapped at this time.

I am thinkiing that it would be a good OC case, since it has plenty of fan space.

I had a few ideas for it, but most were likely out of budget, such as a dualie tualie setup.

I also may or may not have a psu for it... I have the infamous "old blue" ultra 650w unit on my shelf, but it needs the 2 transistor fix (and a recap) and I have't gotten much in the way of help (what I got was kinda vague).

I also don't have any spare hdds... but that is another issue for another time.

what I was thinking may be good for a pontential board to have:
    • full atx board (eatx with the upper right corner notched out will also work)
    • 2 usb headers (so i can give it an internal crad reader)
    • firewire (sem-optional)
    • OC ability
    • agp (or pci-e)
    • floppy port

it wouldn't need much else onboard, since i have no front audio ports, a sound card is perfectly ok here.

the other option in my mind was to sell the case... but even after a repaint, who would buy it?

any suggestions?
    Last edited by ratdude747; 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: old OC rig suggestions

looks like I have the correct case fans in my bin... 3 92mm sleeve bearing antecs (NOS i got free) and an 80mm xinrulian sleeve bearing fan pulled from a dead allied (the fan is in great shape, no bearing noises).

if i were to use the fans, I'd splice them in parallel to one molex plug, with an axillary plug from the side door fan for easy door removal. the wires would be zip tied to wire buttons attached to the inside of the case, to make the wiring clean and out of the way.

I also am thinking that for an old system, my old compaq 300w unit (made by delta) would be a better choice... no SATA obviously, but for 5v based sytems, it is nice. it also has that screwball 5 pin aux plug.

for a board, I just remembered that i have an old gateway lexington board at my old house. it needs 4 rambus sticks and a s478 cpu. (I have a modded dell cooler for it). too bad it is too old of a revision to use most northwood chips.

i have that board in a thread somewhere...

edit- it is this:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12281

I have a potential cpu for it and last I checked I may be able to get rambus cheap on geeks.com.

edit2- crap, I forgot that intel boards don't do OC. CRAP! Back to the drawing board...
    Last edited by ratdude747; 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

I say sell the case for $10
      But that's just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        I say sell the case for $10
        But that's just my $0.02
        factor in the cost of spray paint and you end up breaking even... see what i mean about money management?
        sigpic

Comment

Instead of the transistor fix, just use a higher value/better cap for the "critical 5v" cap. I wonder if it can even be a higher-esr polymer. Maybe everell could elaborate.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            factor in the cost of spray paint and you end up breaking even... see what i mean about money management?
            Who said anything about spray paint?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              Who said anything about spray paint?
              well, the existign paint is scuffed, scratched, and otherwise messed up. there is a gouge on the plastic that can be filled in and sanded quite easily, but would need painted over.

as for the alternatives to the 2 transistor fix, everell was vague on his suggestions... if there was a way to poly mod that cap, then i'd do it, since teh caps for it are not on BCN anyway (it takes 2 16v 6800uf monsters)
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, I tried to follow his instructions, not vague, rather I'm not skilled enough to do it.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i might have a mainboard, as another bcn member still has a board on the shelf that i may buy off him.

it is a DFI AD70-SR

I have a T-bred 1800+ cpu and a large cooler for it. In addtion, I have a fan that I could at to the northbridge heatsink to help there.

for this, I would likely use the 300W psu with it, as i am not 100% sure that the 650W has enough juice on the +5v.

would that be a good start?
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 11-09-2011, 04:05 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

If it has at least 30A, it will be fine
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

just got done wiring up the fans for the case.

noisy as hell at 12v, so I may add a SPDT switch to toggle between 12v and 7v.
                      sigpic

Comment

the SPDT idea was scrapped, after the switch I bought fell aparyt and i discovered my bestec 12z didn't like the 7v fan trick.

anyway, time for some pics:

Sorry about a messy test bench, it was cleaned after i took the pic.

this is the case... it is very beefy.

the PSU is the metal shell to the 650W. the guts are on a shelf. I installed it to test the fit.

the short molex wire is the PSU connection to the fans, the long wire is the connection to the side panel fan.

the rear fan and wiring. notice how the wire is hot glued to the frame, as opposed to just being left to flop in the wind.

the other 2 fans mounted to the frame. I removed the hdd cage for this shot.

the side panel fan and wiring harness. the female plug is modified so it won't fit in a normal molex device (hdd, cdrom, etc.).

so, how does the case and my wiring look?
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Transplant an Xbox 360 into it. "Uber cooling mod"

Comment

sigpic

Comment

well, the quasi-final plans for the rig are mentally complete... minus some parts yet to come in and some, er, mods, it should be runnable in the semi-near future.

some hints to what will be going inside soon:

1. it is pretty epic.
                              2. it will use socket A.
                              3. the 600w Xfinity from a few threads in the psu forum will be used for this.
                              4. Registered DDR will be involved.
                              5. there will be a LOT of recapping involved
                              6. the whole system will have a total of 10 fans, psu included. this assumes i add a fan to the gpu (otherwise, there will be 9)
                              7. you couldn't run windows xp home edition on it in the system's final config.

happy guessing! the first to guess gets a virtual cookie!
                              sigpic

Comment

linux media center thats going to be very loud with all the fans running in it?

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
                                  linux media center thats going to be very loud with all the fans running in it?
                                  linux, yes

media center, no. I already have that, aka my main rig, which is in another thread.

loud with fans? no, it will be very loud!

maybe not that loud...
                                  sigpic

Comment

ok lets guess which linux distro.... and the purpose of it ?

puppy

file server

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
                                      ok lets guess which linux distro.... and the purpose of it ?

puppy

file server
                                      wrong and wrong.

my file server is yet another rig, in yet another thread. that is a no gui debian beast...

i was meaning more like hardware guesses, but i have plenty virtual cookies so keep guessing.

edit- the hint regarding xp was not a linux vs windows issue. there is one word in the clue that makes it important.
                                      sigpic

Comment

too much memory for a 32 bit os?

really i have nothing but time to keep guessing tonight...

Comment

Working...
                                        X