DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Venus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Venus

Hi all, I'm new to researching capacitors, but may need badcaps.net's services soon (though I hope not). So I came across this forum and have a question.

DFI is releasing a new motherboard, the LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Venus, that brags the use of "solid aluminum electrolytic capacitors." You can see pictures of the motherboard here, but unfortunately no specs on the caps:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_hea...07.jsp&SITE=US

Does anyone know if these are as great as they claim to be? Better or worse than MCZs?

Re: DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Venus

damn i never seen so many polymers on one board
    http://www.vrforums.com/showthread.php?t=55726

they look like chemicon polymer caps. if you can find a pic focusing on the cap writing i can tell you.

better than MCZ yes.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

SWEET!!!

Comment

So I guess the real question then is this: how expensive would it be to recap a board with those caps?

Comment

depends on your connections, i think it would be overkill anyway. for vdimm, vcore ok but not all over the board.

for that board though, hopefully the chemicon quality is consistent and there will be no capacitor problems. i would be interested to see if there is a significant superior overclock with that board full of polymer caps when compared to other competing models without.

nice to see also 2 ide and 3 pci. very useful. pity the board looks like lego though with all that damn yellow.

is the nf4 a stable chipset now?

Comment

I wouldn't know, I'm still messing around with NF2. The reason I asked is because I have a DFI LanParty NFII Ultra B that I plan on overclocking as far as I can push it. It seems that a couple of the caps DFI used on that board aren't the best quality though. I wouldn't mind getting the caps changed, and if some of them should go polymer, I'm all for it.

Comment

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=89005

ah i missed the part where it said limited edition

With this special edition LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Venus, DFI becomes the first motherboard maker to use 100% Japanese, low ESR solid Aluminum electrolytic capacitors.
              is that correct? evga were the first with all polymers but perhaps they were not jap caps?

Comment

You mainly find these caps in the higher end boards. I have a few Tyan boards in which the majority of the caps are these polymer type shown on this DFI. Maybe thats what makes Tyan such a trusted brand...

Comment

I don't think Tyan has any other choice. They're making boards that support billions of dollars worth of data worldwide, I'd expect them to be as reliable as possible.

Honestly, how much more expensive are these caps over the usual Rubycons?

Comment

Polymer caps can be 300% or more costly in the replacement market. Who knows what deal a manufacturer might get.

A good way to go as long as the price is affordable and it makes a real difference.

Some of the advertisment description is quaint, such as the caps make for better voltage regulation. Regulation is controlled by active components within a controller chip.
                    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                    Samsung 18x DVD writer
                    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                    33 way card reader
                    Windows XP Pro SP3
                    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Nice seeing all those Oscon's on there.. Now we'll have to see how much this board costs.. I'm sure as a gamer oriented board, it'll be more than $100 USD, though i doubt it'll be $200. You can get a Nvidia SLI 32X board for $200. I don't care much for the PCIe slot layout as if you put a double wide SLI card in the first X16 slot, you're losing one of your two PCIe slots. Wonder why they put the DIMMs behind the CPU instead of in front, unless it's to improve access to DIMM's with a videocard installed??

Comment

>evga were the first with all polymers but perhaps they were not jap caps?
                        yes, eVGA were the first; they used taiwanese Lelon polymers.
                        The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

nope its $289.99 at newegg
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136008

Comment

gg1978; The layout is the same on all nForce4 Lanparty boards, this one is just a minor improvement over the "Expert" board...

The DIMM's are on that side because it somehow improved the latency or crosstalk problems at overclocked frequencies, I can't remember which... The DFI is designed for overclocking...
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                              gg1978; The layout is the same on all nForce4 Lanparty boards, this one is just a minor improvement over the "Expert" board...

The DIMM's are on that side because it somehow improved the latency or crosstalk problems at overclocked frequencies, I can't remember which... The DFI is designed for overclocking...

Interesting.. I guess they do look a little bit closer to the CPU socket than usual, but not that much. As long as the board layout is done well, crosstalk shouldn't be a big deal. That's why i love A64's, as you can set the memory to run at whatever divider you need it to run at, overclocked, or even underclocked.

At $290, that board is damned expensive. I agree with willawake that the OSCON's would be of more benefit on Vcore and Vdimm primarily.

Comment

hehehe we are second in google under DFI itself for "DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Venus"

Comment

I think that DFI replaced even the standard decoupling caps with oscons seems to me a bit of overkill. There some god stadard long life caps like rubycons would be always good enough. But ok,if marketing don`t allow any other than polymers......
                                  But have they used the same amount polymers than in the other board elektrolytics ? or have they saved some due to the high cost of the üpolymers?

Comment

It seems that DFI has realized the overkill attained with the Venus, and will be releasing the AM2 LanParty (when AM2 rolls out), seen below, with polymers only in places they might be needed:
                                    http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2709&p=3
                                    Epox appears to be following suit, as well as ASUS, as seen on Page 2 of that article, if these test boards are a good indication.

Comment

It seems that DFI has realized the overkill attained with the Venus
                                      nope it was a special limited edition

check the oscon ripoffs on vcore on all the epox boards, along with genuine looking oscon in other locations. looks like you get some teapo with the EP-MNF55P-SLI.

Comment

lots of polymers on this board for dual dualcore xeons
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by willawake; 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X