This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi - just joined the forum whilst looking for some info on repairing a JBL sub-amp.
    Seems like a useful resource for tech info!

Comment

Hi there, I just became a member because I am having some issues with my plasma tv. I will certainly post in the correct forum.
      Thanks everyone.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have registered months ago and have read a lot of interesting forums that are very informative and deep (for me due to my novice abilities ).

I appreciate the skills you electronic wizards possess. Maybe in time with everyone's help I might understand some basic trouble shooting tips. For now I pretty much try to find the obvious blow caps or blown fuses.

I have acquired many tv's and electronic devices that have needed repair. I am a local cable/internet/phone serviceman,fyi. People like to give me their junk, and I am the type of person that will take just about anything for free as long as I think I can profit from repairing it, or can use it if I repair it.

thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          A WELCOME to everyone that joins in!!

Peta, ofcourse some advertising would always be helpful to making this a success.... This forum has existed since October 6th 2003, online the first time at about 9:00PM CST. Being a couple days old, atleast there's traffic...

I don't know if this forum will be a huge success or not, I created it out of requests from viewers, so we'll see how many actually join... If it takes off, I'll be tickled pink!! If it flops, I'll simply remove it.

A little about me?!?

HMMM I'll give a little info... I've been in the electronics field since 1991, with experience ranging from TV/VCR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer. I started in computers in 1994, just for a change and something I thought would be more challenging.... First of all, in the computer field, I AM NOT a number cruncher (programmer) YUK!!!!! I'm a hardware/network guy... I can install any OS, repair and make it work, but sitting and typing code is more boring than watching flies mate!! So I stick to hardware!! I get the 'thrill' from coming up with cures for problems, creative and USEFUL mods (this DOES NOT include neon lights and corny batman windows in my cases)...

Before the VP6 was around, Abit's poster child was the BP6, dual celeron board... Being one of the pioneers to run dual Coppermines in my BP6 was quite a thrill... Then came the VP6, and the dreaded crap cap problem... Thus was born PROJECT:VP6, which is over a year old... It can be viewed at www.kabalsrealm.com/systems/projects/vp6/. That single article ultimately led to badcaps.net and this forum... I was shocked at the publicity it drew...

A little inside info?!?
          Well, age?! I'll say late 20's and that's close enough... I enjoy dealing with the computers, all of this is just a hobby these days, so if it did flop, it's no loss... I'm also a car nut... (300ZX!!!)... I also enjoy flying immencely, although, no I don't own an airplane... YET!!! Maybe if I sell off all this computer junk, I could afford one... HEH I own 3 domain names, and host sites for a few friends on this array... Of course they pay me nothing... HMMM Ohh well... Money isn't all... That's about all I think needs to be revealed... If there's something you really need to know about me, ask... The answer all depends on the question you asked...

Anyhow,
          Peta, and everyone else that has joined, Welcome to the forums!! Bring some friends with ya!! :roll:

Comment

Hello everyone!
            I'm Alen from Croatia. I found this forum on Google searching for info about bad motherboard caps.
            Have some experience with PC hardware, but only basic experience with electronics. I'm really a software guy - yes, on the Dark Side :-)

Comment

hello..Im from Philippines..i want to know about repairing laptops,specially hardware trouble shooting

Comment

Hello,
                Im from Scotland and have been in the servicing trade for over 25 years.

Comment

New to this site and still learning how to diagnose these things properly, especially since I don't have any back ground in electrical other than automotive.

Comment

Hi all- Found this forum while trying to figure out how to repair my Samsung LN40B530P7FXZA and found a ton of useful information. Wanted to dig deeper so I decided to join and explore this great site. Thanks for all of the great dialogue and helpful discussion!

Comment

Just joined the forum as I was looking for info on repairing a 2009 Panasonic TC-P58S1 plasma TV with the 7 blinks of death.

Roger Petrella
                      CO Springs, CO

Comment

Hey everybody, I'm new at this so bear with me, I have always wanted to know what makes thing work, come on, and do something. My first project was getting the bolts off the sides of my crib, got that one done quick. anyway, I just like to fix stuff that's broke, if I cant fix it, I fix it so it cant be fixed.
                        My first PC was back in 89 a friend gave me to tinker with, IBM 8086, DOS 3.0 5.24 floppy, 10 meg HD, I wasn't impressed, so I bought a Commodore 64, and discovered their version of windows. I worked my way up through all the Intel cpu's till I got to Pentium 4 dual core, working on a newer system now though.
                        I am a certified auto-mechanic from long ago, I did construction for 30 years, now I work for myself buying and selling whatever on eBay, I get stuff for free and fix it and try to make a buck or two on it, that's my story. My dogs name is Joe Dirt, he likes it when I sell stuff, then he gets his cut out of it in "Beggin Strips"
                        I have found some really good info, thanks for creating the forum Topcat.
                        I am presently diagnosing a Vizio VP433 plasma HDTV

Comment

Hello!
                          I hope I am doing this correctly.....
                          The first computer I used required punched cards, then upgraded to a teletype. CRTs didn't come along until much later.
                          I am still an active consulting engineer (currently in the LED lighting world).
                          I am working on lighting power supplies, and specifically longevity issues. Electrolytics will be the weakest link in the PS. This forum looks like it will provide some great support!

Greg Rhoads

Comment

Hello

Joined because I have a LCD screen wich is malfunctioning.

I hope I can get it fixed with your help.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                              I am from Serbia, student of computer engineering. I'd like to learn more from the hardware world, that's why I'm on this forum.

Comment

Hey,

Im Mike from Michigan. Spent 5 years in the USMC doing circuit card diagnosis and repair.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as TopCat, except I cut my teeth on Atari computers until I purchased a Tandy 1000 in 1988. I remember purchasing my first HD from Dirt Cheap Hard Drives and though it was massive at 80mb. I hate to say what I paid for it but today, I could purchase a fairly nice laptop for the same cost as that drive. In the 90's, I started attending local Computer Shows to purchase wholesale components and began building systems for myself, family members and friends. I thought about leaving my teaching job and selling computer systems full time but with a family to support and kids in college, I was not willing to take the chance.

My profession was in secondary education as a physics, chemistry and mathematics instructor. I really enjoyed working with all the young people for my 38 years in the classroom and have many former students that have become very successful in spite of my influence. Unfortunately, I am somewhat more familiar with electronic theory and not the technical aspect of building and repairing electronic equipment. Even in the 'winter' of my life, I hope to be able to gain some technical abilities. I have the help of my very intelligent 14 year old grandson who is eager to learn. He built his first gaming computer this summer and it turned out great. Tomorrow, we are tackling the repair of a 24" computer monitor his 22 year old brother sit out to trash. We are in hopes it only needs some caps replaced.

I also enjoy fishing, camping and working on my old VW Bug, especially if one of the grand-kids or great grand-kids is alongside me.

Comment

Hello there! Part time stay at home dad here who likes to tinker. We live in a large US military community overseas and I help out with many things "handy" and more recently stumbled upon replacing bad caps. Hope to get some helpful info/tips here. Thanks!

Comment

Hi all. Just joined for some help with my LG Plasma. This seems like the best place to be

Comment

Hello from Maine. Joined forum to get answers fixing TV's. Started by repairing a bunch of the Hitachi projection TVs with the defective convergence chips. At one point everyone in my family had a 42" or higher Hitachi.
                                        Have since moved on to LCD and Plasma. The caps part seems to be a straight-forward repair, it's the more involved issues I'll need help with. Absolutely no formal electronics training other that what I've been able to learn on the web.
                                        I look forward to interacting with and learning from all the talented and helpful people of this community.

Comment

Hello, joined this forum a while ago and now decided to say HI! Because i need some help on hopefully repair a couple of motherboards that i have laying around.

Comment

Working...
                                          X