Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: samsung 80gb hard drives

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post

Neither have I because I refuse to buy them based on reading [analyzing] the complaints about them. They suffer from 'stealth' data loss without the drive actually failing. Meaning corrupt/missing files but the tests good. .
    I encountered stealth data corruption before with a Caviar WD5000AAJS 500 GB, (made in 2007) before eventually failing to stay spinning. The symptoms were:

Windows Vista installation fails with an error about being unable to "re-deploy" the setup engine. Or it gets past that part, then on reboot, the Windows loader gives an error about a CRC mismatch (or other type of mismatch).

And if plugged in as a non-OS HDD:

If you try to format it: Windows usually displays "Windows was unable to complete the format."
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

i have heard that wd had a probem with their motors in some caviars but they remedied it quickly
      Last edited by shovenose; 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        I encountered stealth data corruption before with a Caviar WD5000AAJS 500 GB, (made in 2007) before eventually failing to stay spinning. The symptoms were:

Windows Vista installation fails with an error about being unable to "re-deploy" the setup engine. Or it gets past that part, then on reboot, the Windows loader gives an error about a CRC mismatch (or other type of mismatch).

If you try to format it: Windows usually displays "Windows was unable to complete the format."
        Perpendicular Recording and <5yr warranty. - I'm not even surprised.

Perpendicular Recording is problematic to start with and using huge drives just magnifies the risk.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          ok, done.

the sammy has 8 bad sectors.
          Run Victoria on it (http://hdd-911.com/ , yes it's in Russian but use google translate, and most of the program itself is in english). Hit F4, select Advanced Remap, hit enter, wait. Oh and make sure to set all SATA controllers to IDE mode before you run it.

I've been given a 120GB Maxtor with physical damage a couple months ago. I actually opened it up and peeked inside, there are a few scratch marks at the beginning of the drive. But the bad sectors weren't just at the beginning, they were all over the place. Windows wouldn't even boot with it connected, and all other HDD utilities failed to do anything useful.

I ran Victoria on it. I lost count at ~2700 remapped sectors... Since then it's been running fine as a non-critical data drive, it holds mostly movies.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

If you write zeros to the whole drive with Killdisk you just might get it back.
            It will remap anything bad on the next format.
            http://www.killdisk.com/
            The Free version is good enough.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I like HDAT2 myself.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
              X