Good Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Idea

I was looking for something to cool off those hot-running Seagate Cheetah SCSI Drives and this is it. At $2 each, I gave it a try, ordered 3 from a HK supplier off Ebay and can report that they really do the trick, quiet too! If you don't like the gold colour they come in black (and white) as well. I used screws from the SCSI tray i removed the drives from to attach the cooler to the SCSI drive.
    Attached Files

Re: Good Idea

Garbage fans. They certainly are sleeve bearing and will run silently for awhile then start to wear and rattle, seize.

There are quality small fans to fit these. Run at 5V, does not need to be so fast rpm at 12V.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

if anyone knows of a cheap and good version, i may buy a few myself...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Cheap and good? Pick one or the other... Wizard is right; buy the cheap Hong Kong unit and change the fans out with something of your choice.

My solution for cooling drives is to park them in front of a 120mm case fan. They stay only a few degrees above ambient. It's not what I would call quiet, though.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
          Garbage fans. They certainly are sleeve bearing and will run silently for awhile then start to wear and rattle, seize.

There are quality small fans to fit these. Run at 5V, does not need to be so fast rpm at 12V.

Cheers, Wizard
          Probably no worse than the chipset fans motherboard manufacturers use. I'll see how long these last. Don't know what the RPM is, but they don't seem high-speed to me, and the reduction in operating temperature is very noticeable. Probably extends the life of the drives too.

Comment

given that they run horizontal, the friction on the bearing is minimal.

Comment

The best thing you can do is have a case which mounts the drives properly. In my Lian Li PC7, there is a 3 HDD tray at the bottom of the case in front of a 12cm fan. And then you have some REAL fan choice.

Comment

I pulled one of these out of a customers PC after approx 3 years.
                Prepare for epic dust build-up on the HDDs if you don't regularly clean your PC.

Comment

For this reason I didn't use these devices because of garbage fans and space they take up below each HD. What I did is modify my case to have neat array of holes full width of each hard drives and rely on the case fans to pull air through. Simplest and very reliable, quiet, also does not overheat the CPU or video card because of only two smooth flowing pulling towards upper rear fan under power supply and power supply's fan.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                    Cheap and good? Pick one or the other... Wizard is right; buy the cheap Hong Kong unit and change the fans out with something of your choice.

My solution for cooling drives is to park them in front of a 120mm case fan. They stay only a few degrees above ambient. It's not what I would call quiet, though.
                    Try some lower rpm fans. I have 7-9x 120's running in my case and the loudest one is the chipset fan and cpu fan when it speeds up.

I ran a drive cooler similar in another case and even with regular cleaning alot of dust built up. Some case layouts do make it hard to find a cooling solution though.

Comment

I don't mind having the extra noise. The computer is in my office and I don't hear it unless I'm sitting there.
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                      X