Building my first HTPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building my first HTPC

The biggest telltale PC requirements is PIII class for these latest 7 series of DVICO Fusion tuners means low datarate, too much loss even capturing or watching live on 480 via s-video. Based on CX23886

I had a video/tuner capture card that is based on CX23883 and had to modify it to screen the long unshielded traces from s-video input to stop herringbone pattern to the chipset. Conexent is not stuff of good stuff if one wants quality.

But no matter how much I tinkered with software downloaded from various sources, the consumer chipset betrays the quality. I was not able to turn off hardware compression.

I forgot to tell you how much processing power of a typical TV chipset, it usually have 1 or 2 CPUs usually based on ARM 8 or so, and DACs but they tend to put bit depth too low on analog input except component. This results in banding. And due to chipsets used, they don't use good one to get high quality cap/quality scaling due to wattage issues and using small chipset heatsinks.

I forgot to address another issue. Some need closed caption functioning of acceptable quality. I had seen many makers not put their effort to give a crisp, easy readable font design. One generic plasma tv brand I worked on was so TINY. Some made it so large that I find this comical or so shaggy and rough. Second issue with some TVs, many lost CC decoding on component (have witnessed this) even at 480.

I had sent email to Anchor Bay that made DVDO series about embedding decoded EIA-608 text onto video during video processing and send it out via HDMI or component and they refused because they said several methods they found were unacceptable. HUH? In fact I had told them about Panasonic doing this already with DMR-EZ28K when I posed the question last year.

FYI:
    Datarate on EIA-608 is only 960 bps and not very many character set, very easy for a simple chipset even to extract data and translate EIA-608 to digital EIA-708 (this is digital CC data) and mux into upconverted video and out via HDMI or component. This is what quality upconverting boxes should have done.

I was that close to save up and buy DVDO box. The lack of CC support is what killed it.

If VLC was able to support the Intensity Pro uncompressed or MPEG2 low compression from analog input I would be all over it as well. VLC has outstanding CC decoding and font quality and quality video was very good.

The chipset for video capture devices that you can buy except few is what letting me down.

Also, ATi Radeon Theater 550/650 enforces compression despite outstanding 10 bit depth and potential for outstanding video but software and not able to adjust the compression up and down, support direct like VLC is what let it down BIG TIME. Very unfocused and fuzzy even they tried to hide the raggies by defocusing. I did use MythTV before but it was still immature and not easy to set up and use.

I had tried at least 4-5 capture even with tuner cards and all had these issues.

Oh yes, I tried Dscaler but the software development have not kept up so it got fell wayside few years ago. It had TONS of potential but chipset makers even ATI are very unwilling to have this info avaible with this such flexibility.

The only letdown with DMR-EZ28K is lack of video adjustment to fix the "errors". My analog TV doesn't react to this extremes due to correct low and high levels of adjustments. My LCD TV does not handle this well even it has RGB adjustments. What is needed is another six adjustments covering magenta, cyan and yellow. And ability to adjust in DMR-EZ28K is needed as well but it only have 2 levels of outputs. That is it.

I was seriously thinking of grabbing the LG 32LE5300 has this features built in already but people would think I'm crazy having two 32" LCD TVs in short time. LOL

The issue I'm trying to fix right now is COGECO cable is putting too green tint on the video signal. Adjusting this out results worse picture (purple). Not R-G tint.

Cheers, Wizard
    Last edited by Wizard; 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

<my head hurts now....>

I started building an HTPC a while back. I wanted a place to store all my DVDs. My main concern was the investing all the time to rip the DVDs and then losing them to a bad hard drive. The solution: 2.4TB RAID5 using 6 500MB drives (that was the largest cost effective drive at the time)

Now...I'm known for being a great project starter, bad project finisher. What hung me up was a lack of quality of the video. I was using a PS3 as a media center. It just didn't look good to me....and yes the video files were H.264. I tried a couple DVD rippers as well. Lately, I've been thinking about getting a new video card with HDMI output and hooking it directly to my A/V receiver, but I'm lazy. (heck....the htpc doesn't even fold anymore )

btw....i run on a wired gigabit network. (again...too lazy to learn about wireless... )
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

@stretch
        I've always just ripped all my DVD's as ISOs and when I want to watch one I mount it as a drive using MagicISO. This is probably the simplest method there is without losing any quality/features of the original disc.

How were you hooking up your HTPC to your tv before? DVI would be no different than HDMI aside from not passing any audio to the TV. S-video and even worse, vga are vastly inferior and I wouldn't even bother with those.

After putting together my HTPC and spending hours installing/configuring software I watched some tv shows in Divx HD 720p by streaming them wirelessly from the computer in my room and it worked flawlessly. There was a bit of lag at first but once it started playing it was fine. After fine tuning some settings on my tv specifically for the HTPC, the picture quality really wasn't any different from what I watch via satellite.

Comment

I had the files on my HTPC. Then I used the PS3 to play them on the TV using HDMI.

I'm thinking about going the ISO route and getting a good video card with HDMI out. however, I do like the feature of dvdshrink in that I can pull out all the BS and have TV episodes as individual files.

.....but that would take research and i'm a bit lazy right now.
          "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
          AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
            The biggest telltale PC requirements is PIII class for these latest 7 series of DVICO Fusion tuners means low datarate, too much loss even capturing or watching live on 480 via s-video. Based on CX23886

I had a video/tuner capture card that is based on CX23883 and had to modify it to screen the long unshielded traces from s-video input to stop herringbone pattern to the chipset. Conexent is not stuff of good stuff if one wants quality.

But no matter how much I tinkered with software downloaded from various sources, the consumer chipset betrays the quality. I was not able to turn off hardware compression.

I forgot to tell you how much processing power of a typical TV chipset, it usually have 1 or 2 CPUs usually based on ARM 8 or so, and DACs but they tend to put bit depth too low on analog input except component. This results in banding. And due to chipsets used, they don't use good one to get high quality cap/quality scaling due to wattage issues and using small chipset heatsinks.

I forgot to address another issue. Some need closed caption functioning of acceptable quality. I had seen many makers not put their effort to give a crisp, easy readable font design. One generic plasma tv brand I worked on was so TINY. Some made it so large that I find this comical or so shaggy and rough. Second issue with some TVs, many lost CC decoding on component (have witnessed this) even at 480.

I had sent email to Anchor Bay that made DVDO series about embedding decoded EIA-608 text onto video during video processing and send it out via HDMI or component and they refused because they said several methods they found were unacceptable. HUH? In fact I had told them about Panasonic doing this already with DMR-EZ28K when I posed the question last year.

FYI:
            Datarate on EIA-608 is only 960 bps and not very many character set, very easy for a simple chipset even to extract data and translate EIA-608 to digital EIA-708 (this is digital CC data) and mux into upconverted video and out via HDMI or component. This is what quality upconverting boxes should have done.

I was that close to save up and buy DVDO box. The lack of CC support is what killed it.

If VLC was able to support the Intensity Pro uncompressed or MPEG2 low compression from analog input I would be all over it as well. VLC has outstanding CC decoding and font quality and quality video was very good.

The chipset for video capture devices that you can buy except few is what letting me down.

Also, ATi Radeon Theater 550/650 enforces compression despite outstanding 10 bit depth and potential for outstanding video but software and not able to adjust the compression up and down, support direct like VLC is what let it down BIG TIME. Very unfocused and fuzzy even they tried to hide the raggies by defocusing. I did use MythTV before but it was still immature and not easy to set up and use.

I had tried at least 4-5 capture even with tuner cards and all had these issues.

Oh yes, I tried Dscaler but the software development have not kept up so it got fell wayside few years ago. It had TONS of potential but chipset makers even ATI are very unwilling to have this info avaible with this such flexibility.

The only letdown with DMR-EZ28K is lack of video adjustment to fix the "errors". My analog TV doesn't react to this extremes due to correct low and high levels of adjustments. My LCD TV does not handle this well even it has RGB adjustments. What is needed is another six adjustments covering magenta, cyan and yellow. And ability to adjust in DMR-EZ28K is needed as well but it only have 2 levels of outputs. That is it.

I was seriously thinking of grabbing the LG 32LE5300 has this features built in already but people would think I'm crazy having two 32" LCD TVs in short time. LOL

The issue I'm trying to fix right now is COGECO cable is putting too green tint on the video signal. Adjusting this out results worse picture (purple). Not R-G tint.

Cheers, Wizard
            Wow, I've used both the 5 and 7 series with [true] YPbPr to the TV and I haven't experienced any problems with either one for OTA viewing or recording.
            [The 7 series uses CX23885 BTW. - typo??]

They can get by with a P3 because the CPU doesn't do the work, the card does.

You are going to have problems until you shit-can the S-Video.
            S-Video can handle HD-resolution but does not have the bandwidth for HD-quality.
            [That's what I saw talking about before.]
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X