Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The dust thread

Originally posted by AudioCraZ
    Just a few shots of some of the computers I got pictures of. We nicknamed the Dell the "Dell Planter". Ugh, how can anybody let a computer get this bad...
    In your 2nd pic - is that a Quantum Bigfoot drive?
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

That last 5 picture is so what? I routinely see that when I used to help out with a defunct pc store which is good one and owner ran that business for 18 years!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

That last 5 picture is so what? I routinely see that when I used to help out with a defunct pc store which is good one and owner ran that business for 18 years!

Reason I said this bit off-handily is it takes MUCH to shock us and only three made the mentionable status.

At my TV shop there is MUCH dust floating around that the P-233mmx with JTS 1GB HD kept going filled with dust. I repaired PSU (recap) and blew dust out few times over the years. Still working 7 years later and due for one.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

the dust thread!!! haha kool, since i now know how to post pics i thought id collaborate...

i kinda liked how this pic came out

Peace...
          Attached Files
          We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Dust that was collected around the exhaust fan made my brothers Thermaltake Mambo case rust! *sighs*

Shame that case was only a year old...
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Dust+humdity does to any cases that is not properly plated with platings to prevent against this.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                In your 2nd pic - is that a Quantum Bigfoot drive?
                Yeah, we laughed hard at that too... The poor drive already had quite a few dead sectors, but hey, they sure got years of use out of it.

Comment

No pics here but I clean out my PC's monthly. I have six dogs and six cats in the house with me. There just may be a few extra hairs floating around. Being that I'm a heavy smoker I too I always add as many fans as I can blowing into the rear of my PC cases. What I'm trying to do is blow so much air in from the rear so the PC isn't sucking cigarette smoke into the front of the case and the DVD drives. The PC is also up on the desk so its away from the few extra animal hairs.... My wife's PC is on the floor! It's that Free Hp Compaq that I just set up for her a week or so ago. I'm going to have to revisit it and make sure it isn't designed to be an animal hair tunnel fan.
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

This one came from an acer. The motherboard and PSU both had bulging cheapo teapo caps.
                    Attached Files
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Lots of dust...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Is the PSU in the last two images a Newton Power or Delta with Passive PFC? Almost looks like it.

Comment

^ Lol, that Intel heat sink in the first picture is well packed.

Comment

I had to work on a computer once that was packed full of dust. The bottom three-fourths of the case was completely full of dust with no room for air to flow. Somehow, that computer still worked. The problem it had was that Windows would freeze when accessing the floppy drive. It was an old Intel-branded Pentium Pro system running Windows 2000.

Comment

That was a long time ago but I remember it being a Delta 30,000 powered on hours at the time and all the Ltec caps were fine. Haha yeah that Intel heat sink was on a C2D E6300 1.86GHz

Comment

Working...
                              X