Wonky Topower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonky Topower

I've known about bad caps for a long time now, but I think I may have just been bitten in the rear by some Fuhjyyu caps!

I bought this Topower "450" watt unit a few years ago and for the most part, it has performed exceptionally well nearly 24/7. Recently, I used the entire system that it has powered since new to build a budget HTPC, and of course, the PSU went in to the HTPC case along with everything else. Obviously, the only thing that has changed is that the system runs slightly warmer now, due to the confines of an HTPC case. Out of no where, I'm suddenly seeing voltage fluctuations along the lines 11.78 to 12.08 volts on the 12+ line, when it was rock steady for years before. This of course made me nervous enough to pull out my DMM and have a look at things. Yep. The voltage is not steady at all! I decided to pull the thing out and take it apart to look for physical signs of failure, but so far, I see none.

Now, guess what did find? Yep. I found Fuhjyyu capacitors! Not just a few, mind you. Lots of 'em. In fact, every cap in the thing is a Fuhjyyu! Sheesh! Something tells me that something is on it's way out, and I think these nasty caps have something to do with it.

So... would any of you care to make a suggestion? If it's worth re-capping, I'll give it a shot.

It makes a handy paper weight right now, but I'd rather have it powering the HTPC that the wife is looking forward to using.

Re: Wonky Topower

Err... This odd silence after 36 views has me thinking I might just pick up a Corsair and save the repairing of the current PSU for a rainy day. I'm pretty sure my big soldering gun is buried in storage right now, anyway.

I'm still curious for opinions on this thing, though. Feel free to speak up, or type up, as the case may be.

Comment

I have a Topower build Be quiet PSU too, which is full with bloated and leaking Fuhiyou capacitors.
      Replacing the Fuckyou is not the hard task unless the psu is running fine.
      My PSU has developer another failure at the 3.3v line (voltage is only at 2,5v and it shuts down) so it has not returned to normal operation with the new capacitors.
      Any way, the build quality apart from the bad capacitors is not bad, soi think it is worthwhile to do it on an rainy day....

Comment

yes just replace all the fuhkkyu caps and run it again.bet its stable.looks just like one i did for a friend last week.
        same board in a fancy case with yellow lexan windows.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
          I have a Topower build Be quiet PSU too, which is full with bloated and leaking Fuhiyou capacitors.
          Replacing the Fuckyou is not the hard task unless the psu is running fine.
          My PSU has developer another failure at the 3.3v line (voltage is only at 2,5v and it shuts down) so it has not returned to normal operation with the new capacitors.
          Any way, the build quality apart from the bad capacitors is not bad, soi think it is worthwhile to do it on an rainy day....
          look for a sense lead on +3.3

Comment

Working...
          X