Laptop Damaged USB Port - Missing Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laptop Damaged USB Port - Missing Component

A decoupling there cap still wouldn't have anything to do with your sound.
    It would be to keep EMI picked up by external USB cables out of the power rails inside the machine.
    Biggest possible affect of it missing would be a little more static noise in the sound.
    That would be because the power to the sound IC chip could get some EMI noise in it.
    I suspect your sound ribbon cable got loosened [or something similar] when you dropped it and you inadvertently fixed it when you reconnected everything.
    Is still better to have that cap there.
    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
      A decoupling there cap still wouldn't have anything to do with your sound.
      It would be to keep EMI picked up by external USB cables out of the power rails inside the machine.
      Biggest possible affect of it missing would be a little more static noise in the sound.
      That would be because the power to the sound IC chip could get some EMI noise in it.
      I suspect your sound ribbon cable got loosened [or something similar] when you dropped it and you inadvertently fixed it when you reconnected everything.
      Is still better to have that cap there.
      Yea, I suspect you do know what you are talking about. It is very strange though because there is only 1 ribbon cable connecting to that board from the motherboard, i had the board in and out several times when the sound wasn't working and it was always the same thing, there was voltage to the speakers, but no sound, and no 5V to the USB, as soon as i fixed that component in the sound came back and i was getting 5V on that rail (although the pin was broken).. I don't know, it is logical what you are saying, maybe it is just coincidence and I was not connecting something correctly.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by graham01 View Post
        My repair jobby: http://i39.tinypic.com/2j3lke0.jpg

Thanks for all your input guys
        Nice soldering... I've seen laptop motherboards -from the factory- with those kinds of bodges on them. I'm guessing the tiny pitch of the PCBs and the very small components means the occasional misplaced component or incomplete trace.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
        X