Mechanical Switch Keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Switch Keyboards

Does anyone use them? If so, what do you think of them? I personally like them compared to those chintzy rubber dome keyboards flooding the market. I am typing this post on a machanical keyboard, a Dell AT101W with black ALPS clicky switches. Very nice sound and tactile feel to it.

Re: Mechanical Switch Keyboards

I really like mechanical keyboards i just cannot justify spending 80$ and up for a keyboard.

I spend 25$ or so

Comment

I don't use them because I type a lot and after a while it hurts my fingers.

Well, it's true I haven't tested any new models so I don't know if they're the same as Model M keyboards or other keyboards around that time, the last mechanical keyboard I used was on a HP Vectra, it was similar to this one:

Currently using a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, on my second one... feels almost the perfect amount of downward pressure for my tastes:

Comment

I also have that same exact keyboard .... actually 3 of them

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
          I also have that same exact keyboard .... actually 3 of them
          You mean the Dell AT101W?

Comment

sorry no i wish i did i have the curve 2000

Comment

They're almost always better because nobody tries to make the world's cheapest keyboards that way, but I have used some I didn't like, their main problem being the keys didn't bottom out firmly but were mushy. I don't think any of the bad ones had Cherry or Alps keys.

There are some very good rubber dome keyboards, like the ones made by NMB that were included with old Compaq computers. They're all considerably heavier than the cheapos.

The place to go for keyboard info is GeekHack.org's keyboard forum:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSES...rv7&board=31.0

Comment

My brother has a mechanical keyboard he just bought for like $150 or so. It's Razer branded I think. I hate it. It's noisy and feels too hard for my tastes, I'm a rubber domed keyboard fan
                Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Mechanical is all I use. I have half a dozen old Keytronic keyboards from the P2 and P3 era. Maybe ugly, but they just don't break! The $25 soft touch ones last about 6 months. The cheap wireless ones are worse.

Comment

Personally I don't see the purpose of mechanical keyboards. I prefer keyboards with keys that are easier to press. Feel free to attack me. LOL

Comment

I prefer the mechanical keyboards -- it's what I am familiar with. They last a long time, and have a feel that I enjoy.

(I have a "mushy" keyboard that is good quality. But I don't think good quality "mushy" ones are made anymore.)

I have two "Unicomp" clicking keyboards, still being manufactured on IBM's old "Model M" equipment in Lexington KY. Search for their Yahoo! storefront. Good price. Warranty is not the longest, but you won't need it -- they are good keyboards.

Comment

I used to love the old clackety clack original IBM XT keyboards.
                        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Code:
                          http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by JuniperSprouts View Post
                            http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml
                            I write all my Wild Wild West fan fiction about Dr. Loveless with one of those.

Originally posted by smason
                            I used to love the old clackety clack original IBM XT keyboards.
                            I had a clone of one and could never get used to its Enter key being one key too far to the right, and I kept hitting the keys next to it. The IBM AT keyboards had a better layout for me and had to be at least as heavy and noisy. That keyboard wasn't compatible with the XT, but the successor 101-key Model M was.
                            Last edited by larrymoencurly; 11-13-2012, 12:38 AM.

Comment

I'll always remember when I had a IBM model M at school, my next door neighbor would complain about all the clattering from the keyboard. Now I just use the quieter rubber dome after using an IBM branded one that felt OK, but still have a little taste for the "proper" feel for a particular rubber dome keyboard that I can't explain...have to try to like...

Comment

I haven't ever used a mechanical keyboard. Even the old Compaq keyboard I have with no Windows keys (which looks just like the IBM Model M, aside from the brand name on it) has rubber dome switches.

Comment

Working...
                                X