Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips PHP-X19 2 seconds to black problems

Philips PHP-X19 monitor Problems.

Ok, here goes. I've got a Philips PHP-X19 monitor that my son uses for his PC. We've had it for at least 5 years, and it does get used a lot and I'm forever telling him to switch the PC off when not in use (incidentally, the power supply on the PC fried last year and had to be replaced).

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago the monitor started experiencing the “2 seconds to Black” problems. I've been doing some internet searches and I've found some useful articles on this forum. Coincidentally my Technika 22” TV/DVD had also gone kaput a couple of weeks before and I got this working by replacing 2 bad caps on the power board (I'll post this on another thread).

Feeling confident, I decided to have a go at fixing the Philips monitor. After wrestling the back cover off (and this was not easy. Lots of plastic clips to prise open), I managed to get access to the power board. 2 caps were slightly bulging (470uF 25V Xunda caps) and I replaced these with the same rating caps bought from Maplin (unbranded – should have gone for Panasonics that I can get from RS Components, but Maplins was closer). The rest of the caps visually seemed ok. I plugged the various connectors back in (left the screws off for now) and managed to get a stable image on the monitor for about 20 minutes, then it resorted back to the same problem. I then replaced the other 4 big caps with the same rating Panasonic FM caps (680uF, 25V Xunda caps) but still got the same issues. My soldering was a bit ropey on the initial repair so I re-soldered the 2x470uF caps. Still getting the “2 seconds to black”.

When I did get an image on the monitor it was tinged red/pink, and I've seen elsewhere that this could be an issue with the CCFLs. I could also see the faint image in the background, without shining a torch. So I stripped the monitor down further and managed to get access to the tubes. As you can see from the attached images these are black at the ends and are probably knackered. Both sets of CCFLs are black at the ends.

Before I go and order replacements, is there anything else I should be checking? Is it worth recapping the rest of the power/invertor board? There is a bit of scorching on the board near 2 transformers, but I can't see any damage on the reverse side of the board. I've got an ok multimeter so can check some basics. The monitor is in pieces at the moment and I can get some more pictures. We don't get much sunshine or daylight this time of year in Scotland, or any other time of the year for that matter, so getting decent pics is tricky.

Caps replaced – C216, C215 (470uF 25V), C214, C213, C212, C211 (680uF 25V).

Attached Files

Re: Philips PHP-X19 2 seconds to black problems

Costs so far are about 4GBP for parts (probably cost more in petrol driving to Maplin and RS!!!).

Comment

What I would do at this point is connect the signal card, IPS (inverter / power supply), and CCFLs together and hook up AC power observe if one CCFL is the source of the pink glow.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

This is a very common problem with this monitor

All these things seem to go at the same time ,lamps,caps and the 2 drivers i have marked in the picture MTD3055VLT4 N-Channel Power MOSFET 60V/12A, DPAK if i remember the number correctly .

If you replace all the caps apart from the large one and the lamps and you are still getting 2 secs to black you may have to change the 2 mosfets.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sabre - thanks for the suggestion. The board on the reverse of these components looks slightly scorched. I'm hoping it is not the lamps as this makes the job expensive and probably not cost effictive. I'll try the lamp test later and see if I can rule them out.

Comment

Did you replace the little 220u/25V one? On my monitor (different brand, but same power supply & probably same manufacturer) that had to be replaced before it would work.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom,

I've only replaced 2x470uF caps (these were bulging slightly at the top) and the 4x680uF caps (looked ok but I don't have an ESR meter to test). I found the same monitor on a different post and the other caps should be:

4 x 680uf 25v
              2 x 470uf 25v
              3 x 220uf 25v
              1 x 10uf 50v
              1 x 22uf 50v

I suppose I could replace the others before going any further as this is a relatively cheap fix, although I'll have plenty of spare caps as RS sell in packs of 5. Maplin do sell some singles but have a limited range and the last 2 I bought from them were unbranded.

The monitor is completely stripped at the moment and I hope I can get it back together!

Comment

I suggest you follow my suggestion and test the CCFLs. It is pointless to replace caps, transistors, etc if two or more CCFLs require replacement. The pink tint is positive evidence that you have a defective CCFL.

If all CCFLs light, ignore the advice about the transistor. If you decide to replace the defective CCFL, replace all electrolytic caps (except the 450 volt one) at the same time.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill, ok I'll give it a go tonight and hopefully won't fry myself in the process!

Comment

Originally posted by roobarbthedog View Post
                    PlainBill, ok I'll give it a go tonight and hopefully won't fry myself in the process!
                    Well, do be careful. We need as many people as possible trying to same monitors, tvs, etc from the landfill. I've worked with high voltages for many years; I still prefer to power things up by using a switched power strip.

PlainBill

Comment

I've got a switched / surge protected strip to use. A possible daft question, but given that the monitor is stripped down, how much do I need to reconnect in order to test the tubes? The tube assembly cables have a decent length and could be plugged into their connectors and sat outside the monitor assembly. This also means I don't have to touch anything when I switch it on! If I connect everything up it is awkward trying to get access and see what is happening.
                      Last edited by roobarbthedog; 01-16-2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I only suggested the transistors be changed if you changed the lamps and caps and still have 2 secs to black .
                        Do as bill suggested and test the lamps before you go any further you will probably find all 4 have a pink tinge done several of these and all had the same problem with the lamps ,bulged caps and two instances of the trans being scorched (darkening of the board near the inverter transformers .

Comment

Originally posted by roobarbthedog View Post
                          I've got a switched / surge protected strip to use. A possible daft question, but given that the monitor is stripped down, how much do I need to reconnect in order to test the tubes? The tube assembly cables have a decent length and could be plugged into their connectors and sat outside the monitor assembly. This also means I don't have to touch anything when I switch it on! If I connect everything up it is awkward trying to get access and see what is happening.
                          You have to hook the CCFLs to the power supply / inverter which must be hooked to the signal card, and of course the control panel must be hooked to the signal card. The LCD panel itself is not required.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok. The monitor has 2 CCFL assemblies, each with 2 tubes. One assembly at the top of the screen, one at the bottom. I could get the top one out ok, but the bottom one is tricky. Anyway, each assembly has has set of White/Black and Pink/White wires, plugging into the Inverter / Power board. I sat the top CCFL assembly outside the monitor casing and plugged the various connectors back together. I used a laptop and VGA cable as an input source.

First test had both CCFL assemblies connected up. The upper unit had a slight pink tinge (hard to tell as only stayed on 2 secs or less). I ran through several combinations as follows:

Both CCFL assemblies connected to their normal power outputs: 2 secs to black
                            Top CCFL assembly only in normal power output: 2 secs to black
                            Bottom CCFL assembly only in normal power output: 2 secs to black
                            Top CCFL assembly only in power output connector for bottom assembly: 2 secs to black
                            Bottom assembly only in power output connector for top assembly: 2 secs to black
                            (didn't test the final combinations of the assemblies in their opposite connectors).

I also used my laptop VGA out selection, while the monitor was powered up, to cycle through various VGA out options. Each time the monitor (and the CCFL sitting outside the monitor) lit for 2 secs before the lights went out (the image didn't look too bad with just one CCFL inside, but was a bit pinkish).

Do the above results suggest that both the CCFL assemblies are failing, or could it be something else like the CAPS I didn't replace.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Compare your lamps to pictures at

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have the blackened ends on the some of the tubes. When they are on they are slightly pink, but not as bad as the ones in the photo link.

Here's a question - there are 2 tubes in each assembly, and there are 2 sets of wires (a white/black pair and a pink/white pair). Can I plug one set of wires in to light up just one tube or do both tubes need connected at the same time?
                                Last edited by roobarbthedog; 01-17-2012, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Maplin dont sell low ESR caps <to be accurate, they sell 2, a 6800uf and 4700uf both 63v> - perhaps you should change those 470uf 25v Maplin ones to Panasonic low ESR before reassembling.

Comment

You need both tubes connected otherwise you'll get 2 seconds to black no matter what. And i second the advice of changing the caps on the inverter again, with proper Low-ESR units.
                                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

That was me being impatient. Maplin was open on a Sunday. I should have waited until Monday for RS Components. It will not cost much to replace the rest of the caps with Panasonics and to swap out the two from Maplin. I'll do this tomorrow.

Comment

I've now changed all the capacitors to the same rating Panasonics (FM series, except for one FC). I managed to get a picture for 10 seconds before the usual "2 seconds to black" problems started again. The tubes do look blackened at the ends and have a slight pink glow. It's now getting to the point where I need to decide if it is cost effective to continue.

One thing I did notice is that when I did a multi meter continuity test on some of the connections on the board, mosts points highlighted in the attached photo appears connected to each other. This is where the inverters are soldered in. Is this correct? I can't see any obvious shorts, but there are some jumpers on the front of the board connecting some PCB tracks.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X