Samsung Syncmaster 940BF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 940BF

This has been my daily monitor for over 3 years. Now, when I turn the monitor on it makes a buzzing sound. Sometimes if I turn it off and then back on again, I get an image for a second or two. There are no obviously blown caps, but that doesn't really mean much.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 940BF

Originally posted by xylopagus View Post
    Now, when I turn the monitor on it makes a buzzing sound. Sometimes if I turn it off and then back on again, I get an image for a second or two.
    We need a picture of the entire board. Your pics are chopped off. Use this guide as a start and then post your questions here. Start with post #13 and #14.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So, I've looked through the walk through/guide and all I've come up with is that I am, indeed, a "2 seconds to black" case. I can't seem to get any normal readings from my multimeter (it's old? I'm not sure how I could be so completely wrong that nothing comes out correctly).

Replaced the four similar caps with caps from a local parts store and the situation is the same (although my soldering job is absolutely terrible). I power it on and I hear sporadic buzzing for a bit and it looks like the screen is flickering at the same frequency as the buzzing. When the buzzing stops, I lose the image, but if I shine a flashlight directly at the screen I can still see it.

Here are some updated pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by xylopagus View Post
        I can't seem to get any normal readings from my multimeter (it's old? I'm not sure how I could be so completely wrong that nothing comes out correctly).

Replaced the four similar caps with caps from a local parts store and the situation is the same (although my soldering job is absolutely terrible).
        1) Put your multimeter on 200 ohms (if manual ranging). Touch the 2 probes together. What reading do you get?

2) Please list all the multimeter readings from the inverter transformers (using 2000 ohms setting this time) and we will intrepret them.

3) What caps did you get from the local store? What brand and "series"?

4) BTW, a poor soldering job can also cause 2 seconds to black. Wiggle the caps and see if they are loose or not.

edit: 5) PS. Try to get a 2000x2000 resolution for photos. This will give us better detail.
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-01-2010, 10:34 PM. Reason: photo
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The flickering sounds like a cap problem. Once you have verified retiredcaps request for the cap brand/series, one question: why did you replace only 4 caps? And did you use the exact same capacitance value? There are at least 2 (possibly 3) other caps you should have replaced. One is to the left of the inverter transformers. The other 1 or 2 are small startup caps and are probably hidden underneath the white glue (can't tell from your photo). The large one can generally be left alone unless it's showing some signs of leakage.

Comment

All the large caps that i have found to be faulty in the past (not many)

Have had leaks from the legs rather than bulging tops worth a look

Comment

Hello i have same monitor with leaking caps. Problem is that i cannot get 820uF 25v ones.
              Can i use any oter?

Comment

Originally posted by iro View Post
                Problem is that i cannot get 820uF 25v ones.
                Can i use any oter?
                1000uF 25V low ESR caps will work as long as it fits height and diameter wise.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thx.

Comment

Hello,

I have new qustions regarding this subject.
                    Monitor loses light after five seconds.
                    On this power supply all electrolytic capacitors are OK, but I have doubts about SMD capacitor that is placed downside on board position C230.
                    I measured it and it is 0,8 uF, but I don`t know what the value should be.
                    Did anyone encounter this problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X