Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > Custom Tweaks, Modifications, and Revisions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #361
Spork Schivago
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Corning, New York
My Country: United States of America
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: The ghetto mod thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TELVM View Post
Rubber bands rock!

There seems to be some clear plastic sheet between fan & heatsink, what's that for Momaka?
I like this mod by Momaka and I might use it.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #362
Dan81
BOOYAH!

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

My ghetto mod for this year must've been a cooling fan to cool myself because it was hot in here. I simply used an Allied AL-8400BTX PSU (the one I've repaired in the PSU section here) and a 92mm AVC 12v fan wired up on the PCI-E connector (at least it's worth something ) along with a jumper wire between green and black. (PS_ON and GND)
ASUS P5QL Pro, Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 2GB DDR2-800, 2x H-L DVD-RW drives, Allied AL-A400ATX 400W, AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, Delux MG760 case

Second rig:
ASUS P4B533, Pentium 4 2.8GHz, ASUS Radeon HD3450 512MB DDR3, 1GB DDR400, Pioneer DVD-117, 3com NIC, 80GB WDC HDD (IDE), Deer DR-A300ATX 300W, JNC RJA-52 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #363
eccerr0r
Fried

City & State: CO
My Country: USA

I wonder if my Coolmax PSU fix is ghetto enough... It this jury rig a kludge, bodge, or ghetto fix?
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachm...7&d=1501352814
The two brown jumper wires were added by me to fix the burned track underneath.

If I had twisted the wires together and left them above the board, epoxied down or not, then I suppose it would count... LOL
eccerr0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #364
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech

i draw the line at bodging psu's - i dont want to risk anything downstream.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #365
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccerr0r View Post
I wonder if my Coolmax PSU fix is ghetto enough... It this jury rig a kludge, bodge, or ghetto fix?
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachm...7&d=1501352814
The two brown jumper wires were added by me to fix the burned track underneath.

If I had twisted the wires together and left them above the board, epoxied down or not, then I suppose it would count... LOL
That's not a bodge but a photo of the very rare solder sloth upside feeding on some vegetation.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #366
eccerr0r
Fried

A lot of these are calculated risks I suppose. Main reason why I went ahead and kludge/bodge fixed this is because this is in the primary circuit - if primary fails, everything is down, anyway - unlike if the control circuitry is bodged, then the output could go out of spec and cause downstream damage. The burned tracks were too weak to reuse so I had to use the solder to make up for the loss of the foil.

I figured that the main risk of repairing this is repeat insulation failure, and that I spent extra effort trying to ensure that it doesn't fail again. I'm not sure how others would have repaired this damage, or could have just treated this as a total loss/parts unit (which I was intending this PSU to be when I first got it).
Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #367
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents

i would have cut the burned section of pcb out, and rebuilt it with epoxy.
then probably lined or partially butchered the casing!
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #368
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork Schivago View Post
I like this mod by Momaka and I might use it.
Go for it. Just beware that those rubber bands dry-rot and degrade very quickly. When I made that mod, I didn't know better. Luckily I didn't use the computer like that. I replaced the fan with a better one and got rid of the rubber band.

Quote:
A lot of these are calculated risks I suppose.
Exactly.
There's no guarantee you won't get a bad PSU even from a reputable manufacturer that manages to burn itself out and the rest of your equipment. With repaired PSUs, at least I know what was wrong and what I fixed and how I fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diif View Post
That's not a bodge but a photo of the very rare solder sloth upside feeding on some vegetation.
lol
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #369
diif
Badcaps Veteran

Here's one from yesterday/today. A vestel taken off the wall still with two HDMI cables plugged in.
I possibly should have looked on ebay for a board and I wasn't given the remote so haven't tested it yet.
I will be sealing the wires once I've tested the repair as they are bare strands of copper and not coated magnet wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170817_181016.jpg (699.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170817_180958.jpg (719.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170818_111002.jpg (651.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170818_130549.jpg (636.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170818_201855.jpg (614.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170818_201903.jpg (453.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #370
eccerr0r
Fried

Maybe we need a different thread for bodge/kludge jobs and leave this one for the ghetto, I think that HDMI fix is too "professional" to be a "ghetto" fix (and perhaps my burned track fix too...)
Old 08-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #371
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by diif View Post
Here's one from yesterday/today. A vestel taken off the wall still with two HDMI cables plugged in.
I possibly should have looked on ebay for a board and I wasn't given the remote so haven't tested it yet.
Dang, I thought I've done some fine trace repairs, but never so many next to each other. I admire your patience for this one.

On that note regarding removing equipment with the wires still connected... I had a 17" CRT monitor that I forgot was plugged in the wall. So when I lifted it up and started moving it, all of a sudden the CRT pulled away from my hands and fell on the floor. Surprised the crap out of me when that happened. Luckily I have a carpeted floor so nothing broke. Also had a similar accident with the VGA cable plugged in another CRT monitor. But them D-SUB bastards are built tough and made to handle rough handling (lol ).

As for ghetto mods, I am working on a video card + fan upgrade for one of my old PCs. Just made a metal bracket to hold an 80 mm fan to the case where the add-on card screw to. Will take pictures when it's done.

Quote:
Maybe we need a different thread for bodge/kludge jobs and leave this one for the ghetto, I think that HDMI fix is too "professional" to be a "ghetto" fix (and perhaps my burned track fix too...)
Yeah, I thought about that too when I made the "Worthless/Pointless" repairs thread. I figured that since a lot of my ghetto repairs are worthless, I wouldn't need to... but now I see that we may need one indeed. In fact, you can see that a lot of the "mods" I posted here in the past are actually repairs.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #372
diif
Badcaps Veteran

Thank you for your kind words Momaka, it was you worthless/pointless repairs thread I was looking for, perhaps I should have tried harder (used search).
The repair probably took about an hour on and off, so pointless from a labour point of view vs cost of a replacement board maybe, but more an exercise in can it be done. Certainly quicker than waiting for a replacement board if I can find one.

Last edited by diif; 08-20-2017 at 01:38 AM..