Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, wow. Just, wow.

I was image searching 3500W ATX PSU's when I saw THIS:

See that "compatible with blah blah" thing? Ummm... yeah. Here's what it REALLY says:
    Compatible with Windows 7.

"Compatible with Windows 7?" This is bad.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TechGeek; 05-29-2015, 02:36 PM.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Um, wow. Just, wow.

chinese knockoff. you gotta open it up and see what you're working with. I guarantee the caps will either be Capxon or a brand you never heard of. me personally I wouldn't trust it if I had a new motherboard. could be loaded with fake components and open circuit caps

Comment

Yeah.... I feel like it is somewhat copying Cooler Master's older PSU designs.
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

screws on the left side, look in the grill.
        it's got a passive-pfc choke.

Comment

Title's my reaction. With a LOOOOOOOOOOOOT of TLC, that thing could be a good PSU, couldn't it?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
            Title's my reaction. With a LOOOOOOOOOOOOT of TLC, that thing could be a good PSU, couldn't it?
            By the looks of it I wouldn't expect it to be better than a beefy Deer with thin heatsinks (need to replace mine anyways,I have a defunct Deer with thicker heatsinks,almost Bestec grade thick and can replace my anorexic heatsinks) and a jet engine fan running at full speed,if not even worser components.

In all seriousness. I've seen Leadman being copied more than Deer,so I'd expect to be that or a low-end Codegen.

OTOH,I've just beefed up my Deer. Now,other than the thin heatsinks,it's actually close to a Macron before recap. Wish I had some good heatsinks though,like those in older Allied PSUs. (not the L shaped ones)
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Soooo the chinese are rating 300W units at 3.5kW now? Haha. At least it doesn't have T shaped heatsinks, and the main transformer is tall enough to be seen from that angle.

But yeah putting Windows 7 compatible on a PSU is pathetic, but they'll do anything to try and market for more sales. Just like those old PSUs that would say "Intel & AMD ready!" Yeah, like the PSU knows what CPU its powering

Comment

well, this is just for marketing..

For all tech geeks,well it's looks like funny.

but for the common people with almost zero knowledge how computer works, sometimes they ask whether the things that they buy is compatible or not..

i've run a small computer store in my city, some times they ask something like that.
                for example, they use windows xp,and they want to buy a mouse..
                they ask me, if the mouse is compatible with their computer..because blah blah blah..

Comment

i've run a small computer store in my city, some times they ask something like that.
                  for example, they use windows xp,and they want to buy a mouse..
                  they ask me, if the mouse is compatible with their computer..because blah blah blah..
                  Yeah, that's pretty silly but I guess it's a somewhat relevant question because as far as I'm aware, almost no OEMs use PS2 anymore, and even some new boards don't come with PS2. But for people like me, I prefer PS2 over USB, because I hate the fact that USB needs a driver.

Not trying to derail the thread

Comment

i use ps2 because i have a nice kvm-switch

Comment

All PS/2 here as well .

Comment

I have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. I don't use the mouse a lot anymore. The keyboard is used often, though.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

^ Hot-keys FTW

Comment

Okay.....

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Is that power supply compatible with Windows 8 though, and will it work when the monitor is in portrait mode? I'd hate for it to crash if Windows didn't support it properly.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if somebody asked me that when they are looking for a power supply.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                  Okay.....
                                  You said you don't use the mouse very much. So if you want to get around any operating system without the mouse, you need to know a lot of hot keys, which is why I made that statement.

Comment

Okay. I have a good Logitech wireless mouse that works really well. Several years old and still going strong. I love Logitech's mice.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

I use PS/2 here too, I've got a PS/2 compatible USB trackball (yes trackball) mouse plugged into a PS/2 adapter but my keyboard is proper PS/2. What I want to know is there anyone who uses a trackball mouse anymore except me?

Comment

I do!!!

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X