Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical security for wireless networks

http://youtu.be/kRhyvRAUG6k

This is one of the less-discussed wireless security issues, as far as I know.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Physical security for wireless networks

Can the public get access to those cell jam paints? I seem to remember something almost like a paint for the walls, you turn it on and zap any signal from getting through. Never said if you can use it to paint outside of house, but that would do the trick. It is bad enough you have to mount small speakers to generate white noise on the windows to stop laser snooping.

Comment

I believe if I approach the manufacturers about this problem, most (if not all) of them would put it in the "too hard" basket.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Over two weeks ago I contacted Belkin with few hurdles; as I expected, it appears that Belkin has put this problem in the "too hard" basket.

Comment

Physical security is the responsibility of the administrator/owner.

If you allow someone physical access to your home router, a simple reset button can be enough to get access as most home ISPs use DHCP and most routers ship with no wifi password by default.

That said this is a nice find, and I will continue to not use WPS

Comment

Originally posted by exevolution View Post
            If you allow someone physical access to your home router, a simple reset button can be enough to get access as most home ISPs use DHCP and most routers ship with no wifi password by default.
            All you need to do is get the WPS PIN and/or push the pushbutton for this function - as per the video, I extracted the wireless passphrase with those two methods - no special tools required!

Comment

I disable UPNP.. WPS.. Anything that can be a vector for attack.. I've never used UPNP and it's now one of the biggest security concerns facing router/computer manufacturers..

Edit: Not only do I disable on router I usually take out windows support aswell.. Somehow upnp server streams can still receive and still work oddly...

This podcast sums it up nicely.. https://media.grc.com/sn/sn-389.mp3 ( Learned ALOT here https://www.grc.com)
              Last edited by Yatti420; 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                All you need to do is get the WPS PIN and/or push the pushbutton for this function - as per the video, I extracted the wireless passphrase with those two methods - no special tools required!
                Both of which still require physical access to the device. If someone has gained physical access to your hardware then you've already been compromised so while interesting this isn't really that much of a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by NUKLEAR-SLUG View Post
                  Both of which still require physical access to the device. If someone has gained physical access to your hardware then you've already been compromised so while interesting this isn't really that much of a big deal.
                  Exactly, it's hardly a security flaw. It's like saying there's a security hole because anyone with the wireless password can get access, or anyone can get access by plugging an ethernet cable into the router..

My front door has a security flaw, anyone with the key can get in.

Comment

UPNP issues are far more scarier.. Zero authentication.. Lots routers (among other devices) are flawed.. D-Link fixed the DIR-655 .. I don't know about anything older however..

Comment

Here's a story which could gain traction on this issue: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t...ght/true#M6375

Comment

Gaining a bit more traction:
                        https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...ur-own-crypto/

Recently, I made posts to Netgear, D-Link, Belkin and Linksys with the attached service bulletin; no response from Netgear with Belkin and Linksys looking into it, but D-Link said that they stand by their security features.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is all home kit, designed for the average consumer. It's not really an issue, if someone has physical access to your hardware it's game over anyway.
                          The kind of person that breaks into houses does not do it do get on my wifi but to steal my TV and shiny stuff. Any business being cheap and either using home kit or not employing a pro is asking for trouble.
                          The far smarter thing would be to access the router and change the DNS settings.

p.s. Linksys is owned by Belikin now.

Comment

smart people dont use the router DNS.

some isp supplied Belkin-sys routers ignore the setting and use a hidden DNS server for tracking.

this was discovered a couple of months back when the server went down and people all over the u.s. and a couple of European country's couldnt get online and the ISP's couldnt work out why!!!

Comment

...some isp supplied Belkin-sys routers ignore the setting and use a hidden DNS server for tracking.
                              Can you point us to more information about this? Can this flaw be made less serious? Can it be eliminated?

Comment

all anybody knows is some models - probably isp-supplied use a fixed DNS and ignore the settings in the menu's
                                the DNS seems to be connected to the router manufacturer and not the isp's
                                (BTW. Nokia fones do this too.)

as for doing anything about it,
                                all i can say is try to replace the firmware:

https://openwrt.org/
                                http://www.dd-wrt.com/
                                http://www.gargoyle-router.com/

and use a NON-ISP DNS server.
                                http://www.opennicproject.org/

Comment

More traction on this issue: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/home-rou...ews-19245.html
                                  A visiting tradesperson could get the PIN number or push the WPS button.

Comment

a lot of router default keys are atleast partly based on the mac address.

Comment

I was at a german restaurant and the company next door had an unpassworded AP. I connected, found a shared printer on a computer. got the driver, connected and printed out that they should secure their access point. I also pointed out that they had shared access to a bunch of access db's-customer list and their quickbooks file (albeit was passworded). Next week it had a password on it
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I found good search terms to find the physical security problem, being "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" and "physical security" - the issue is slowly but surely gaining traction.

Comment

Working...
                                        X