Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soyo-SY-P4I875P -Bad video card or motherboard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soyo-SY-P4I875P -Bad video card or motherboard...

I have the SY-P4I875P DRAGON 2 v1.0 Black Label motherboard which I recapped back in 2010 and fixed a blown mosfet near the cpu, thanks to this forum. Needless, to say I have gotton my moneys worth on this motherboard and original video card, which I built back in 2004.

However, tonight all of a sudden I get a garbled screen during the POST. It looks more like garbled blocks. Anyway, I spent sometime investigating my issue i.e. I disconnected the hard drive tried a different agp video card (known to work on my other pc), with the same result. Also tried different memory and that did not make any difference.

I did notice 2 mosfets by the agp slot ON 65N02R. They physically fine, but I was wondering if they possibly went.

Anyway, its getting late and I wanted some initial thoughts what else might be wrong. I have not tried a different PSU, given it is relatively new.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what to possibly try next would be appreciated. Maybe, if it s the motherboard, it might be on its last leg. But I want to try a couple more things before I give up.

Thanks

Re: Soyo-SY-P4I875P -Bad video card or motherboard...

So is it only during POST/BIOS and then it goes away?

Or always when it's on?

It wasn't clear from the post.

Comment

Maybe i875 based motherboards aren't meant to last

After all the effort I put into this Asus P4C800-E Deluxe https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11694 it lasted a year or so, then died without warning

I reckon you're probably
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Tried a different monitor too?
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

From the very start (POST/BIOS) it remains garbled. It does not clear up. I also did try different monitors, with the same results.
          Last edited by richr69; 08-07-2013, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I inserted an old PCI video card and the screen was not garbled when I booted the PC to the BIOS screen. So it does appear my AGP slot may be defective.

Comment

It turns out it was my Radeon 9800 pro 256M agp video card. I came across, after googling, the process of baking the video card. I decided to give the oven bake option a try. I pre heated the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. After baking for 7 minutes, the issue no longer exits. My video card appears to be working agin.

Comment

Quick update for anybody that comes across this. This fix did not last. Eventually obtained another video card till I built my new system.

Comment

Those Radeon 9800 video cards run too hot with the stock coolers. You need to use flux when reflowing the video card and after the reflow, change the cooler to something bigger and preferably with a copper base. The RAM tends to run hot too, so RAM heatsinks are highly recommended. Also, if the video card is positioned like in any other standard ATX case (i.e. GPU facing down), you need to support the video card. I find that both the Radeon 9700 and 9800 GPU is too close to the AGP connector and so it's very easy to crack the GPU BGA if the card is bending down.

Both the Radeon 9700 and 9800 use leaded solder, so you can try the reflow again. High chances this will fix it again. This time change the GPU cooler, though.
                  Last edited by momaka; 05-22-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X