Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what tool identifies bad caps on live circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what tool identifies bad caps on live circuit?

Originally posted by stj View Post
    depends, if it's wet then it's fresh electrolyte.
    Or someone sneezed.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Re: what tool identifies bad caps on live circuit?

There is one exception you can use an ESR meter to measure the ESR of batteries since their ESR goes up as they age. This is especially true of sealed lead acids.

I would qualify a battery as a live circuit of sorts.

But yes the only way to measure live caps is with a scope checking the ripple.

I had a Uniden phone from 03 it's handset was humming like crazy to the point where I could barely hear someone on the line. The wart had a 470uf 16V cap in it ESR measured 7.8 I thought it was kind of high. But before I condemned it I checked the ripple it was so bad it was almost as if I was looking at pulsed DC. The GP replacement cap which I checked before installation later had an ESR of 0.32. The old cap showed no outward signs of failure.

As you can see measuring ESR and if you're unsure about the proper ESR checking ripple can help sniff out most caps.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
      X