Asus K53U charging light orange, variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus K53U charging light orange, variable

I never paid much attention to the charging light on my son's old beat up Asus K53U. However, yesterday for the first time while plugged into the charger the light kept turning on and off, and when on, it only went to orange. It wasn't very regular, maybe 10-20 second cycles. The Asus "charging" and "not plugged in" big icons would pop up on each transition, which was annoying as hell. Previously I only ever saw those when plugging in or unplugging the charger. So I uninstalled that software. The LED kept going from off to orange and back again. After an hour or so of that the battery charged up to 99% and the charging LED switched to green and stayed solid.

Today the battery is still at 99% but the charging LED is flashing from orange to off and back, staying in each state about 1 second.

A voltmeter didn't show any problems with the charger itself (with no load.) The socket where it plugs in had broken loose before and is now epoxied in place. I poked it a bit from the outside with a toothpick and it seems to still be solidly attached. Wiggling the various sections of the charger didn't make any difference - it isn't acting like a bad connection in the charger.

Any ideas what this might be? Is this the laptop trying to tell me that the battery is going bad? That would be the only indication if that is the case, since the laptop will still run several hours on a charge.

Thanks.

Re: Asus K53U charging light orange, variable

Found a manual, and the flashing orange charger light supposedly means the battery is low and OFF the charger. Well, it is on here and the battery icon has the plug superimposed here. That is, the machine seems to think that the battery is unplugged and low (flashing orange led) and ALSO that it is fully charged and plugged in (battery icon.)

Comment

Whatever this is it is getting worse. Now the power LED turns completely off instead of going to orange. When Windows 7 is running every time it transitions the damned ASUS ATK driver pops up a graphic saying "on battery" or "on ac". The usual W7 power icon changes shape too.

Here is the really strange part...

If the battery is removed and the charger plugged in the machine runs with no problems. I only tested it that way for 10 minutes, but since the power on/power off cycles are never more than 30 seconds, that should have been long enough. In this mode the power LED is green and stays lit constantly.

If the machine is run on battery it is fine too. It will run for about two hours, no problems.

However, if the battery is in and the AC charger is active the power LED cycles from green to off. It does that whether or not the computer has been turned on.

Have any of you encountered a situation like this before??? What was the problem?

Comment

the fets for charging the battery or the Charging IC its bad
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
          the fets for charging the battery or the Charging IC its bad
          The battery charges at a reasonable rate, so probably not the FETs per se, but the control circuitry for them. That would fit your IC hypothesis.

Comment

Working...
          X