• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cap Identification please.

Originally posted by stj View Post
    what if it's not on the vcore?
    what if it's on the 3v3 line?

im not saying it's not on vcore - i'm saying dont assume anything without checking .
    not if you intend to downrate the parts anyway!
    yes you're right, its better to be safe than sorry.

I've noticed a few of the OST RLP 1000uf 6.3v 8mm caps on the board are starting to bloat a bit, does anyone know what decent caps they could be replaced with?
    Last edited by flewpastjupiter; 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

0.13ohms esr 555ma ripple.
      that's pretty crappy actually

rubycon YXG is closest.

or just be done with it and stuff it full of 1000uf 10v panasonic FR's or 820uf polymers!!!
      Last edited by stj; 07-23-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Any ultra-low ESR caps will do, I got some stash of Rubycons MBZ 1000/6.3 in D8x11.5 mm.

I got eyes so I can see it's part of the Vcore. If you are unsure than check continuity between CE717 and CE718(9). Just remember this board was still under ASUS influence - reversed polarity markings.
        Last edited by Behemot; 07-23-2017, 08:48 PM.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
          Any ultra-low ESR caps will do, I got some stash of Rubycons MBZ 1000/6.3 in D8x11.5 mm.
          I found some cheap-ish panasonic fm's on Ebay - EEUFM1A102L would these be suitable to replace the OST RLP caps on the board?

I got eyes so I can see it's part of the Vcore. If you are unsure than check continuity between CE717 and CE718(9). Just remember this board was still under ASUS influence - reversed polarity markings.
          Yes there's continuity between CE717 to both CE718 and CE719 I checked it earlier.

Comment

NEVER buy caps on ebay - 99.9% of them are re-sleeved chinese shit like chang/cheng/fuhkyu/suntan etc.

Comment

Yes there is loads of dodgy cap sellers on ebay, but this one is a genuine seller in the UK, I've bought caps from him before.

Comment

nationality has nothing to do with it.

post the ebay link.
                (some of us can spot fakes)

Comment

I would just like to know if the panasonic fm caps would be suitable to replace the OST RLP ones on the board?

Anyone know?

Comment

they could, but FM are unusual and i get doubly suspicious when i'm told they are on ebay.
                    usually it's FC and FR being resold or faked.

what's the sellers price and for what part number?

Comment

they could, but FM are unusual and i get doubly suspicious when i'm told they are on ebay.
                      usually it's FC and FR being resold or faked.
                      So they could work, thats good to know because they are slightly cheaper than buying them at Rscomponents or Farnell, once they've added the delivery charge or handling charge both of them charge far too much for delivery of a dozen or so caps. Its just my spare pc so I don't wanna spend too much on repairing the board if I can help it.

what's the sellers price and for what part number?
                      Here I'll post the ebay link and you can have a look yourself, thanks for the help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000uf-10v...72.m2749.l2649

Comment

there is no handling or delivery charge at RS, even for a 50p item.

Comment

there is no handling or delivery charge at RS, even for a 50p item.
                          I didn't know that! there used to be a handling charge added on. I last ordered somenthing from them about 6 years ago and because the order was under 100 pounds they added a 10 pound handling charge on top.

Thanks for the help stj and everyone else

Comment

Just an update, finally got it sorted *wipes sweat from brow* first motherboard I've ever recapped.

Unknown vented 680uf 6.3v replaced with Nichicon L8 fpcap 680uf 6.3v

17X OST RLP 1000uf 6.3v replaced with Rubycon YXJ 1000uf 6.3v

The vented cap measured 3.9 ESR 757uf. All the old OST's were still 0.00 esr, even the bulged ones but I'm glad I've got them all replaced now.

The hardest part was clearing the holes, I ended up using a stainless needle on them. It was a bit of a struggle with the Antex XS25 as its only 25 watt, but I found adding plenty of solder to the tip helped with the heat transfer. These are all tips I've learned from reading these forums.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by flewpastjupiter; 07-28-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

you should get an award for doing that with an antex!!!

Comment

Hehe, they're supposed to be equivalent powerwise to a cheap 40w iron according to Antex so I thought I'd risk it, whether thats marketing bull I don't know. What I do know is if I ever recap another board I'll be using something with a bit more power.

Comment

you should get an award for doing that with an antex!!!
                                  Award awarded
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Oh man, not sure whether I even want to see how the joints look like

Get a transformer pistol for this, some decent one, if you are beginner, 75 VA is just enough. I've mastered 150VA through time
                                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                      Award awarded
                                      Thank you Per I am honoured
                                      Oh man, not sure whether I even want to see how the joints look like
                                      They actually came out better than I thought they would, but I'll never use a 25 watt iron iron again

Get a transformer pistol for this, some decent one, if you are beginner, 75 VA is just enough. I've mastered 150VA through time
                                      A what!?!?!?

Comment

he means a soldering gun.

i wouldnt, if you want a good cheap iron then check out our thread here about the bakon 950d

Comment

None of those pens will ever work as well as transformer soldering gun, it's just physics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X