Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dressing up (a "450W" ATX supply) for Halloween -- YueLin YLP-013

Originally posted by needtoseepics View Post
    @kc8adu, how low is the resistance of low-esr caps, because if I calculated it right
    (I used the "Wire Resistance Calculator" from cirrus, found here:
    http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html
    ) 22AWG wire for 1.2ft (7in there, 7in back) ought to be adding 0.019 Ohms of
    resistance, in series obviously, to the capacitor. So, is this a considerable amount
    for these components?
    let's take the 1000uf caps as an example.

Nichicon PL 1000uf 35v comes in a 12.5mm x 31.5mm, and a 16mm x 20mm.
    Judging by the relative size in the pictures, it looks like yours are the 16x20.

Nichicon 16x20 PL series has .034 ohms impedance at 20deg. C. and 100KHz.

At low frequencies, you're adding over 50% to the impedance of the capacitor. At 100KHz, the inductance of the wires will also add appreciable impedance.

Everything I notice seems to say "Low ESR", but.. low,
    compared to what?
    "High" lol

Actually one company's "low" is another's "high", and a third company's "ultra low", it's just a marketing term. Only the data sheet will tell you what you need to know.

I haven't seen any hard numbers like, for instance, is 1 Ohm
    considered "High ESR", is 0.1 Ohm High ESR? If 0.019 Ohms is enough to push
    a Low-ESR component out of that status, then I suppose that must be the case.
    PL series are on the high impedance end of "low" impedance.

With the PL series and those in it's range, .02 ohms resistance is probably less of an issue than the inductance those wires are adding. I'll bet the Jamicon GP caps had higher ESR than the total of the PL and the wire resistance. Once you start putting multy kiloherz spikes of high current through those wires, that's when you have a real problem.

On the other hand, if this were a motherboard using a .007 ohm Nichicon HZ series cap, or a .005 ohm polymer cap . . . well, you can do the math.

At what specific numerical value does a component become "Low ESR", and, if
    I know that, then I could add 0.019 to the ESR of such a typical component,
    and see if it is still low or not.
    Again adding pure resistance is different than adding resistance and inductance to a high frequency circuit. You want all your impedance in the capacitor itself, then just choose the capacitor that matches the ESR and ripple current rating you need.

Comment

Hello, I need the schema of this power supply because when I cleaned I did a short and splatter, various resistances and perhaps diodes and transistors was burned and I don't know which are these components

Comment

For those interested, the company who made this is Yuelin computer technology co., ltd. They are in 8f-1, 3, Wu Chuan 1st Rd., New Taipei City, 24892 Taiwan.
        Complicated address, eh? Quick search led me to them.
        Popcorn.

Comment

Working...
        X