usb flash drive repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb flash drive repair

hey guys,i found a few flash drives in my office that were not working. i opened the casing of 1 of them, a kingston data traveler with 4 gb memory . i found was that a the drive was dead short and the flash io controller ic and flash memory ic were not getting any voltage though the 4 usb connector pins showed 5 volts.i the saw three inductor coils 2 of them were working fine i checked this by the continuity test by using a multimeter the third inductor however had developed resistance which was the cause of the shorting, all i did was removed the inductor and bridged the empty pads on the board with solder,and voila it started working.................................................................
    Last edited by linston; 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM.

Re: usb flash drive repair

Congrats! I've fixed some flash drive just by resoldering the 5v and ground solder joints. Users break it a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by linston View Post
      hey guys,i found a few flash drives in my office that were not working. i opened the casing of 1 of them, a kingston data traveler with 4 gb memory . i found was that a the drive was dead short and the flash io controller ic and flash memory ic were not getting any voltage though the 4 usb connector pins showed 5 volts.i the saw three inductor coils 2 of them were working fine i checked this by the continuity test by using a multimeter the third inductor however had developed resistance which was the cause of the shorting, all i did was removed the inductor and bridged the empty pads on the board with solder,and voila it started working.................................................................
      I think you need to correct some text (I found that the drive was dead short there was no voltage at the two ic's) should read you found open circuit between the points measured, when you removed the coil and bridged the contacts you connected the input voltage directly to the ic's.

Comment

I found they fail (sometimes intermittently) is because the solder joints on the USB connector fail from mild forces when inserting and removing.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by linston
          all i did was removed the inductor and bridged the empty pads on the board with solder,and voila it started working
          Well, that's not really surprising. The Chinese "engineers" behind cheap PSUs have discovered quite a long time ago that all inductors are indeed useless . It's a secret discovery, though, so don't tell anyone else .

Congrats on the fix, by the way . 4 GB is pretty decent.

Comment

Working...
          X