Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 2013 macbookpro retina 13 water spill

Hi,

I would really appreciate if someone could share some information. I have a late 2013 retina macbookpro 13inch which had liquid damage. It was revived by a thorough m/b clean out. It worked for a couple of month. Now it has run into problems. Here are the symptoms and my findings-

Symptoms-

1) The computer runs very slow.
    2) It suffers quarter fan spins.
    3) Keyboard and trackpad no longer works.
    4) Charger light turns from green to amber even though there is no battery as I have taken it out.
    5) Battery not recognized when plugged in.

What I have tested-

1) Power rails- All come out normal except for the fact that G3H runs at 12.3V and not 12.6v.
    2) The Thunderbolt booster circuit does not show any power beyond the source at Q3080. I assumed this could be
    normal as no thunderbolt device attached but I could be wrong.
    3) Resistor 7110 (Chgr acin) should be 68.1K . However it starts at at 35 and runs to 55K when tested. Its unstable. Put in a new one with same results.
    4) Resistor 7102 (Chgr reset) should be 100. I'm getting an unstable reading of around 50. Changed it and still getting the same result.
    5) Battery connector J7050-

Readings taken when plugged in-
    All ground pins (7-18) go to ground so this is normal.
    Power pins 1-12 reads up to 11v but rapidly drops to under .3volts.
    SCL pin 13 and 4 reads 3.4volts
    SDA pin 5 and 14 reads 1.4 volts
    6) Near the SMC, resistor 5380(SDA) and 5381(SCL) both read 3.4volts . There is continuity from R5381(SCL) to the battery connector pin 13 and 4. There is NO continuity from R5380(SDA) to the SDA battery pin 5 and 14.
    7) There is normal continuity from the battery connector J7050 to the SDA and SCL pins of D7050 rc/clamp. The clamp gives 3,4 volts for SCL and 1.4 volts for SDA.

Items replaced with no difference in machine operation after change made-

1) Isl 6259
    2) Inrush limiter Q7180
    3) Q7130 m/fet
    4) Q7155 m/fet
    5) D7050rc/clamp

Any clues would really be appreciated. I am at a lost and am really hoping its not the SMC. Any suggestions before I go nuclear and start on the SMC? Thanks very much for reading this. I'm not very experienced nor knowledgeable but am trying to work through this.

Re: Late 2013 macbookpro retina 13 water spill

if computer runs slow then you got issues with VSENSE , so best way to figure is running ASD for your computer version , you will have 2 ASD OS and UEFI , run the UEFI , it will diagnose entire hardware and will display the error , and i suspect it will mention SMC IO ERROR or any VSENSE ERROR

in any case on rthe schematic you will find the SMC bus sections for VSENSE , its a mather of testing the resistors

Comment

also you have for sure issues on charger circuit as well, chek all dark solder components and also chek very weill for TP that were damaged due to corrosion .

big warning for all who does does UC cleaning and think everything is ok ... its a lamme work and never fix anything , UC and only the purpose of cleaning to prior to FIX .

so resuming , wask board UC , clean well with ESD paper wipes , then chek all components that are dark on the solder joints , test all components and resolder them all , if you dont do that , well you will always have issues , now or later !"

Comment

Thanks High Pulse, I will try this. Appreciate your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by larry19 View Post
          Hi,

I would really appreciate if someone could share some information. I have a late 2013 retina macbookpro 13inch which had liquid damage. It was revived by a thorough m/b clean out. It worked for a couple of month. Now it has run into problems. Here are the symptoms and my findings-

Symptoms-

1) The computer runs very slow.
          2) It suffers quarter fan spins.
          3) Keyboard and trackpad no longer works.
          4) Charger light turns from green to amber even though there is no battery as I have taken it out.
          5) Battery not recognized when plugged in.

What I have tested-

1) Power rails- All come out normal except for the fact that G3H runs at 12.3V and not 12.6v.
          2) The Thunderbolt booster circuit does not show any power beyond the source at Q3080. I assumed this could be
          normal as no thunderbolt device attached but I could be wrong.
          3) Resistor 7110 (Chgr acin) should be 68.1K . However it starts at at 35 and runs to 55K when tested. Its unstable. Put in a new one with same results.
          4) Resistor 7102 (Chgr reset) should be 100. I'm getting an unstable reading of around 50. Changed it and still getting the same result.
          5) Battery connector J7050-

Readings taken when plugged in-
          All ground pins (7-18) go to ground so this is normal.
          Power pins 1-12 reads up to 11v but rapidly drops to under .3volts.
          SCL pin 13 and 4 reads 3.4volts
          SDA pin 5 and 14 reads 1.4 volts
          6) Near the SMC, resistor 5380(SDA) and 5381(SCL) both read 3.4volts . There is continuity from R5381(SCL) to the battery connector pin 13 and 4. There is NO continuity from R5380(SDA) to the SDA battery pin 5 and 14.
          7) There is normal continuity from the battery connector J7050 to the SDA and SCL pins of D7050 rc/clamp. The clamp gives 3,4 volts for SCL and 1.4 volts for SDA.

Items replaced with no difference in machine operation after change made-

1) Isl 6259
          2) Inrush limiter Q7180
          3) Q7130 m/fet
          4) Q7155 m/fet
          5) D7050rc/clamp

Any clues would really be appreciated. I am at a lost and am really hoping its not the SMC. Any suggestions before I go nuclear and start on the SMC? Thanks very much for reading this. I'm not very experienced nor knowledgeable but am trying to work through this.
          Could be bios is corrupt. I would not just replace things unless you are sure they are bad. Any resistors and caps or diodes need to be measured out of circuit. With fets one sometimes can determine in circuit if it is not behaving or turning on when it should. Apple actually has many troubleshooting procedures to perform software wise before you get to the hardware, on their site. Do you have the service manual for this motherboard?

Comment

Thanks Keeney. Will look into it.

Comment

post mainboard picture before cleaning it.

Comment

Thanks Dell, I have already cleaned it i'm afraid. Thanks for the offer to take a look.

Comment

OK- I have measured around the Voltage sensors and have this situation. Thanks high pulse in focusing me on this area. The Apple hardware test is a little challenging as my keyboard and track pad does not work and I don't have a bluetooth keyboard yet.Tried with a USB keyboard and mouse but was not able to do it =

Pbus Voltage sense
                  Resistor 5488 PIN 1 = 12.31v Pin 2 = 2.058v

Resistor 5489 Pin 1 and Pin 2 = 2.058v Is this voltage right????

DC in Voltage Sense

Resistor R5498 Pin 1 = 16.35v Pin 2 = 2.44v
                  Resistor R5499 Both Pins read 2.44v Is this voltage right?????

Can someone please tell me if the voltage reading is normal? I Know the resistance values are fluctuating.

Comment

Another thing I would like to ask is concerning D7105 diode. I am unsure of the voltage reading.

Diode D7105
                    PIN 1 and 2 Reads 16.35Volts but pin 3 reads 16.11v. Is this normal?

Comment

So do you have picture on screen? Does keyboard work on another machine?

Comment

Hi Lauren, yes there is picture on screen. I don't have another machine to test the keyboard unfortunately. I do think there is a current sensing and charging circuit issue now. Highpulse I think was correct. Fortunately I have a working older macbookpro and I will start comparing the charging circuit and sensing mosfets on that one. The circuitry and components are sometimes identical so it should be a very valuable guide for a relatively inexperienced person such as myself. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by larry19 View Post
                          Hi Lauren, yes there is picture on screen. I don't have another machine to test the keyboard unfortunately. I do think there is a current sensing and charging circuit issue now. Highpulse I think was correct. Fortunately I have a working older macbookpro and I will start comparing the charging circuit and sensing mosfets on that one. The circuitry and components are sometimes identical so it should be a very valuable guide for a relatively inexperienced person such as myself. Thanks for your reply.
                          If you do not find something on the sense lines you could try disconnecting keyboard, trackpad or any thing on the USB and see if the fan improves. You can also verify fan is not bad and is operating by try on another machine. In the end it could be the operating software for those drivers has screwed up.Be glad to see what you find out.

Comment

Back from the dead.

Stuck my probes to measure voltage on on CHGR_AMON on the ISL U7100. Then stuck the probe on BC_AC OK Pin. The light on the charger went off. I wiggled the charger connector (J7000) and the light came back on. Only this time the g3h is now 12.6volts as it should be. It was reading 12.3 before. The SDA data line came back to life at 3.7volts I know I should be happy but without knowing the reason it will surely happen again. The green light still switches to orange even when there is no battery. I have to suspend this project for awhile as I have to go overseas but shall resume testing when I return. Will keep you all posted in case this information is of any use.

Comment

My guess now is that the problem is happening much earlier down the pipeline. Pin 1 and 2 of D7105 shows a slightly higher voltage than before. More importantly, the 2 pins also now have equal voltage of 16.33. It was uneven before. With the minimum values of resistors sensing voltage and currents I wonder if this is significant.

Comment

I do not have a schematic of the board is D7105 a zener diode?

Comment

Its a common diode array with 3 pins. I think the diode is fine. Do you happen to know if the newer macbookpros made with non-removable batteries turn the magsafe orange even when there is no battery? On older macs it stays green when you remove the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                    I do not have a schematic of the board is D7105 a zener diode?
                                    I do not know but that should be a easy find in the owner's manual. This can be gotten on the Apple site. I take that back the apple site does not have that information. So the fix-it site says the mag-safe is a updated version which could mean yes to your question. This is the complete tear down.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/18695

I would say if you had water and then some time later it stop working it may mean one of you connectors has oxidized which has caused the problem. I would look at all connection very carefully and if possible get rid of any oxidation with a pencil eraser or clean with so electronic contact cleaner like CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz
                                    Last edited by keeney123; 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                      I do not know but that should be a easy find in the owner's manual. This can be gotten on the Apple site. I take that back the apple site does not have that information. So the fix-it site says the mag-safe is a updated version which could mean yes to your question. This is the complete tear down.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/18695

I would say if you had water and then some time later it stop working it may mean one of you connectors has oxidized which has caused the problem. I would look at all connection very carefully and if possible get rid of any oxidation with a pencil eraser or clean with so electronic contact cleaner like CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz
                                      Thanks Lauren, never even heard of the spray but it looks really useful! We sometimes don't have access to these things in the Far East.

Comment

http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05103
                                        Extremely Flammable

Comment

Working...
                                        X