Samsung SyncMaster Model 731N Distorted Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster Model 731N Distorted Display

I received a Samsung SyncMaster 731N today from the local computer store. Monitor functions as expected, but the image is distorted horizontally (see images). I took apart the monitor, and swapped out the lcd panel and the ribbon cable to the lcd panel with no change. Multiple computer inputs and cables have been utilized. As you can see in the image, the OSD appears normal.

Nine capacitors on the power / inverter board are all Su'scon. On the video board, four capacitors are Su'scon and six capacitors are TEAPO.

There are several threads on badcaps.net for this monitor, but they are for no display.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

I can get and attach pictures of the power / inverter board and / or the video board if needed.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung SyncMaster Model 731N Distorted Display

Originally posted by jayoung View Post
    I received a Samsung SyncMaster 731N today from the local computer store. Monitor functions as expected, but the image is distorted horizontally (see images). I took apart the monitor, and swapped out the lcd panel and the ribbon cable to the lcd panel with no change. Multiple computer inputs and cables have been utilized. As you can see in the image, the OSD appears normal.

Nine capacitors on the power / inverter board are all Su'scon. On the video board, four capacitors are Su'scon and six capacitors are TEAPO.

There are several threads on badcaps.net for this monitor, but they are for no display.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

I can get and attach pictures of the power / inverter board and / or the video board if needed.
    I would suspect a problem on the signal (video) board, probably in the video input circuitry.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      I would suspect a problem on the signal (video) board, probably in the video input circuitry.

PlainBill
      Anything in particular to check?
      Attached Files

Comment

Anything in particular to check?
        I'd check voltages on U101 and U102 - the LDO regulators. I'm going on the belief that there is noise on the analog input signal, so the caps are also suspect.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

U101:
          A1
          AS117L-33
          BO637 26
          Pin 1 - 0.00 VDC
          Pin 2 - 3.30 VDC
          Pin 3 - 5.16 VDC
          Pin 4 - 3.30 VDC

U102:
          A1
          AS117L-18
          BO552
          Pin 1 - 0.00 VDC
          Pin 2 - 1.39 VDC
          Pin 3 - 5.15 VDC
          Pin 4 - 1.39 VDC

I had to order some parts from digikey.com for another job, so I ordered replacements for the 10 capacitors on the signal board at the same time. I was also thinking that there may be noise from 1 or more of the capacitors causing the issue. I see that the voltage on U102 is low also (1.39 VDC vs. 1.80 VDC). Not sure if that is from a defective regulator or not?

Comment

AS117L-18

I see that the voltage on U102 is low also (1.39 VDC vs. 1.80 VDC). Not sure if that is from a defective regulator or not?
            Definitely defective. A voltage regulator should be within 1% of its specs. In this case,

1.8 x 0.99 = 1.782
            1.8 x 1.01 = 1.818
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've tried finding a replacement for this part, but have not not been able to find an exact match to the part number. I have found AMS1117-18, LD1117-18, LM1117-18, L1117-18, etc., but no AS117L-18.

I think this is the datasheet for the original regulator:
              http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...A/AS1117.html?

Would this part be a possible replacement? I may be able to call digikey.com tomorrow morning and get this added to my order.
              http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...9-5-ND/2472287

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I have found AMS1117-18, LD1117-18, LM1117-18, L1117-18, etc., but no AS117L-18.
                Any of those will work. Just make sure the size/package is correct. They are "jellybean" parts and made by a lot of different manufacturers.
                Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-05-2012, 10:41 PM.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm going to throw a warning out here. At this point the best option is to replace the regulator. However, there is a significant chance the regulator is fine, something is loading down the output.

PlainBill

Comment

The ten capacitors and the replacement regulator are on order with digikey.com and should arrive in a day or two. Is is worth replacing the regulator and checking the outcome or should I go ahead and replace the capacitors along with the regulator?

Comment

The ten capacitors and the replacement regulator are on order with digikey.com and should arrive in a day or two. Is is worth replacing the regulator and checking the outcome or should I go ahead and replace the capacitors along with the regulator?
                      Regulator first. I don't think a bad cap (or caps) would explain that unusual voltage.

PlainBill

Comment

Did you check the input voltage to the regulator ?

Scratch that i see you were getting 5+ volts on input was it steady ?

Comment

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
                          Did you check the input voltage to the regulator ?

Scratch that i see you were getting 5+ volts on input was it steady ?
                          Yes, the input voltage on both regulators was steady.

Comment

Success!

Ordered arrived from digikey.com today and I replaced the 1.8V regulator. Plugged everything in and the voltage was steady at 1.80VDC and the picture is crystal clear with no distortion. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Hi All,

I have the exact same problem. I was wondering if I could use an ez1117 as the replacement for the as1117-18

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by trains58554 View Post
                                Hi All,

I have the exact same problem. I was wondering if I could use an ez1117 as the replacement for the as1117-18

Thanks
                                For the as1117-18, the "-18" indicates a fixed output of 1.8 volts. Since there is nothing after the ez1117, then I'm assuming the output voltage has to be set using external resistors.

Comment

Hi jetadm123,

Thanks for your reply there where no other numbers at the end and I did a little more reading and I think you are right about it needing external resistors.

Thanks

Comment

Does anyone by any chance know of any devices that have this chip in them?

Is the 1117m3 compatible?

Thanks
                                    Last edited by trains58554; 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Why not just use the part number provided in post #7 at digikey?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I will probably just end up ordering it from digikey but I figured that it does not hurt to look at the parts I have laying around.

Comment

Working...
                                        X