NEC LCD1970NX vertical 2" line on screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEC LCD1970NX vertical 2" line on screen

I have an old NEC Multisync LCD1970NX that has screen problems and not quite sure the cause.. Has anyone experienced these issues and attemped a repair on this one ?

- Monitor runs fine at 1st then after 20-30 mins there will be a small black vertical line that appears on screen (3-5 pixels wide). This line may seem fuzzy with multicolors in it.
    - After an additional 5 mins (25-35 mins total) the vertial line widens up and ends up as 1"-2" wide band on screen. It is colored black at first then alternates to black / white band over time.

If I leave the monotor on the vertical line may disappear occasionally and leave fuzzy text on screen in that 2" region & then revert back to the black or white 2" vertical bar on screen.

I have not tried to open up monitor and troubleshoot this one yet but thought I would ask if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Thanks for any help
    -Mike

Re: NEC LCD1970NX vertical 2" line on screen

Originally posted by mikejtt View Post
    I have not tried to open up monitor and troubleshoot this one yet but thought I would ask if anyone else has had similar experiences.
    I suggest opening it up and looking for bad caps and/or poor solder joints. Look for discoloration on the PCB where something may be very hot while running.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hello. i am reviving this old thread because i have the same problem here.
      it is an "old" Nec Multisync lcd1970NX with Lg panel. googled around (because yesterday Badcaps.net wouldnt work for me) and saw other people with the exact problem. i have lot of pics, but you can also see a video on tube posted by a nec victim : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=666WwTYU8xU

a strange fact (maybe not important) is that when connected to the D-Sub the picture is offset (first and second pic). meanwhile in DVI connection it's centered (third pic).

the boards are full of nichicons and panasonics, and all seem ok. measured some voltages in the t-con. any other idea?
      Attached Files

Comment

Does look like a t-con issue. Have you disconnected the ribbons cleaned and re attached?
        Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
        Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

yes, even checked every pin from the main board to the t-con. but now sth weird happened. the display is all black, doesnt show anything. measured again, there is 12V and 3.3V in the t-con but no 15 and 20V anymore. i did nothing except reseating the lvds.

Comment

Very Strange....

You need to trace where the 15v and 20v comes from and see if it is still supplying the T-con or if its failed before it gets there.

There are no fuses on the board that I can see is there?
            Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
            Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

ok, lets go further. new voltages:
              Attached Files

Comment

Reseat the lvds again - upside down? - it has been known.
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

i am sorry selldoor but i didnt understand your question. what do you mean, if i mistakely put it upside down? i double-checked and the connection is ok. in beep mode i checked with my dmm every single connection between the t-con and main board and there is no fault, even when pressing and depressing the lvds. i think the problem is in the little circuit which i have measured the voltages.

Comment

Sorry - badly worded - Yes I did mean had you got it upside down. I know it
                    sounds unlikely but it has been known to happen.

What did you use for ground when doing the test. Possibly try checking voltage
                    regulators and get the part numbers and data sheets to see if they are working
                    correctly.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

thank you selldoor.
                      a quick résumé of the situation:

the NEC which came to my computer service store yesterday had vertical lines all over the left half.
                      this problem was very common among this party of NEC monitors, feedback all over the web. but no-one had ever succeeded in repairing it. next day saw this thread and thought about troubleshooting this case.
                      after playing with the lvds with my dmm, the monitor failed to show the erratic display any more. after re-measuring, the voltages werent all right.
                      i am very confident with myself that i havent shorted anything in the t-con during testing. lets call this mini-circuit a tcon-psu.
                      did i really screw it?
                      or, it was in its last hours and just died in my hands?
                      are the voltages 20V and 15V correct for a t-con?
                      if not, could they be responsible for the vertical lines, the original problem?
                      if yes, i really should repair this mini-psu inside this t-con.
                      if not, i should give up and the NEC vertical lines issue will remain a mystery.
                      thank you for your patience.

Comment

i used the ground in the t-con. anyway it was the same as the ground in the main board.

Comment

I have recently got another LCD1970NX that appears to be operating correctly. I then swapped the power supply from the good monitor to the one that had the lines..
                          PSU details..
                          PART NUMBER : 4H.B0170.001 VERSION : 1A ( 1 DC cable op version)
                          OTHER NUMBER : Other # : BK0001700105, J81000392, LCD1970NX-USB
                          The monitor would show a black line for 2 sec then disappear and the monitor operated correctly for hours. If I put the flakey psu into the other 'good' monitor with control panel in 5-10 mins this monitor shows a 2" wide vertical yellow bar on the screen.

There is something wrong with the PSU it appears and not the IO board in these units.

Comment

Working...
                          X