red vertical lines in black areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

red vertical lines in black areas

I recently repaired a veiwsonic VP201 by replacing the large cap (400/150) on the PSU board, thanks to helpful posts on this forum. The monitor now comes on and stays on, hooray. The new issue is that in dark or black areas there are vertical lines of red, single pixel in width across the entire screen. Like mini pin-striping. This is very visible in dark/black areas. For instance when the back-light first comes on with no PC input. Also when the PC is plugged in via the DVI or VGA cables, you can see it in mid tone areas too, it seems to make those areas flicker or look like they are vibrating. Also it makes the display look as though it is in a low color mode. Remember the days of 256 colors? Doing some research on this and other sites, my guess is that it might be the inverter board. But as I'm only an amateur/hobbyist when it comes to electronics, I though it would be good to get more opinions before I go opening the case again. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Re: red vertical lines in black areas

Was it your monitor - did you see it working before you fixed the cap issue.
    If it was yours and was ok before then you may have not replaced the cable that goes to the panel correctly or dislodged it slightly. Try removing it and replacing - if it is a flat cable clean both ends. Hopefully it will be something simple like that although you could have damaged the panel putting the cable back. It is unlikely to be an inverter problem.

Edit_ didnt mean cable back - meant putting the panel back into the case
    Last edited by selldoor; 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by point5 View Post
      Doing some research on this and other sites, my guess is that it might be the inverter board.
      The inverter board only controls the operation of the ccfls bulbs.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It is my monitor. It was working before I replaced the cap on the PSU. But only for minutes at a time. It would get hot and shut down. Then after a period of cool down time you could turn it back on, and it would work until it heated up again and shut off. And by shut off I mean the display would go dark, but the led on the front of the display would stay lit. It was the backlight that would shut off. Anyway that issue is resolved. I dont recall having the vertical lines issue prior to replacing the cap on the PSU. But to be fair this display sat in a closet for a year or more until I came across this forum and saw people with similar issues and learned how to repair the unit. So Its been quite a while since I used it on a regular basis. It may very well have had this issue as well, and I am not remembering. I will try cracking the case again and reseating the cable connections to all boards, and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

It's a possibility that when you were taking the monitor apart, you might have damaged one of the flat ribbon cables that connect the LCD panel circuit board to the LCD panel itself. These ribbon cables span the width of the LCD panel. With your finger, try pushing down on the cable in the vicinity of the red line. If the line changes color or goes away, then you've found your problem.

Comment

Actually its not one line its lines across the entire width of the screen - evenly spaced. I am posting a pic of what it looks like. Since I can't do a screen cap and my camera is not taking good enough pics to show, I recreated what it looks like in photoshop. This picture shows what my a section of my whole screen would look like. I didn't think I needed to make a graphic the full 1600 x 1200 size of the display. Just imagine this pattern the full width and height of the screen.
            Attached Files

Comment

Are you able to try the screen on another PC/laptop.

Does it stay the same when you adjust the brightness.
              Is it just on Black - what happens if you put up an all white,red,green,blue
              yellow picture .

Does it make any difference if you adjust the colour/temp in the OSD
              Is there a factory reset.

When you say you have tried VGA and DVI are the cables connected at the same time - if so try separate.

Have you got the service manual -a quick flick suggests you have to actually select the input you want to use? ( Exactly what model have you got.)

Presumably you have another screen - does that have the same problem.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hey point5 did you ever figure this out? I bought a ViewSonic VX2835wm back from the dead by replacing all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply board. However I have the exact same problem with the red vertical lines you described. The monitor was working fine before the PSU died and I have used another computer and monitor to rule out any video card or external cable issues.

So far I have tried:
                1) reseating all the internal cables
                2) checked the conductivity of the internal video cable, all the wires have conductivity
                3) resetting to factory defaults.

So far no luck.

So only two options I see at this point is try replacing all the caps on the video/controller/logic board. Or buying a replacement one on ebay, etc.

Any one know if replacing the caps could work or is that a waste of time and I should just bite the bullet and get a new logic board.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by picofaradpjf View Post
                  Hey point5 did you ever figure this out? I bought a ViewSonic VX2835wm back from the dead by replacing all the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply board. However I have the exact same problem with the red vertical lines you described. The monitor was working fine before the PSU died and I have used another computer and monitor to rule out any video card or external cable issues.

So far I have tried:
                  1) reseating all the internal cables
                  2) checked the conductivity of the internal video cable, all the wires have conductivity
                  3) resetting to factory defaults.

So far no luck.

So only two options I see at this point is try replacing all the caps on the video/controller/logic board. Or buying a replacement one on ebay, etc.

Any one know if replacing the caps could work or is that a waste of time and I should just bite the bullet and get a new logic board.

Thanks.
                  If doing all the things SellDoor suggested did not work then probably one of the ribbon cables from the TCon Board to the LCD screen has become damaged. They are not repairable. Try the suggestion of putting a little pressure on each cable that is over an area with red stripes if they go away or change color then that might be the problem. However, if the lines go all the way or most of the way across the screen then it is unlikely that you have torn all of the ribbon cables as they are somewhat protected by the TCon shield and the TCon being screwed down. In that case the problem probably resides on the TCon board and could be an SMD Capacitor or other component. It will be fairly time consuming to track that problem down and may involve several components. It might be cheaper (time wise) to look on Ebay for a Non-Working model the same as yours and buy it to replace your LCD screen. Look under the section on condition and you will see For Parts or Not Working as a choice. Just make sure the screen is not broken (cracked) before you buy it. Then it will just be a simple matter of changing your boards for the others.

PS. Watch the shipping cost. Some idiots try to get around paying Ebay their fees by jacking the Shipping Costs way up and selling for a dollar or so.
                  Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
                    PS. Watch the shipping cost. Some idiots try to get around paying Ebay their fees by jacking the Shipping Costs way up and selling for a dollar or so.
                    I thought ebay changed their fee structure for the above scenario.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fvf.html

What's a final value fee?

If your item sells, you're charged a final value fee based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer, excluding any sales tax.

How is the final value fee calculated?

For most categories and selling formats, the final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer. The item's total cost to the buyer includes the item price and shipping cost plus any other costs to the buyer (less any sales tax). Any shipping discounts are not included in the final value fee calculation.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      I thought ebay changed their fee structure for the above scenario.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fvf.html

What's a final value fee?

If your item sells, you're charged a final value fee based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer, excluding any sales tax.

How is the final value fee calculated?

For most categories and selling formats, the final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer. The item's total cost to the buyer includes the item price and shipping cost plus any other costs to the buyer (less any sales tax). Any shipping discounts are not included in the final value fee calculation.
                      I had not seen all of that. However, if you look at items like what I was talking about you can see shipping jacked up to $100.00 or more. Ebay charges a fee to your account based on how much you pay in shipping cost or at least they have in the past. That fee was less than the fee to sell an item if the selling price was high like on a tv etc. I hope Ebay has stopped people from doing this. I don't have a problem with Ebay making a profit on my sale. If I think that profit is too high I will just stop doing business with them. I think trying to get around their sales fees is a rip off of Ebay. It is the same as running out on your rent or jumping out of a taxi without paying. One of the problems we have in this country is there are too many people who don't have a problem with doing those types of things. And there is my rant for today!
                      Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Working...
                      X