Please Help..Viewsonic VX2235wm-5 CCFL Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help..Viewsonic VX2235wm-5 CCFL Location

Please can somebody just help me here ..I just want to inspect the CCFL bulbs in my Viewsonic VX2235wm-5 Monitor which has a Chimei A220Z1-H01 LCD panel...Thats ALL..(see Photos 1 and 2)
    I have removed the back from the monitor>>>the plastic Frame that surrounds the panels and has on it the Power On/Off and Adjustment control >>> and the angle metal frame that holds what I understand the LCD Panel in position against a reflector panel and the metal frame..that has the Power and Logic boards on it.........
    SO At this point the LCD panel can basicly lift up like a hinge but still has attached to it plastic looking things that no doubt feed information to a long narrow circuit board which is held to the units metal frame by 3 screws(see photo 3 )....Hopefully I have at this stage lost nobody with my description cause I need to know if I have to remove the complete LCD Panel by disconnecting the Ribbon cables (see Photo 5) at the circuit board that feed the Logic Board (see Photo 4 )..then unscrewing the 3 screws holding the circuit board to the metal frame and carefully removing and putting the panel safe ... I have attached a close up photo of the Ribbon Connectors (Photo 6 ) as to be honest I just do not know how to disconnect these...and am hoping for direction here..
    Now if I was to remove the LCD Screen...
    This would leave me with the metal frame and clipped inside it is what I have described a reflector screen the same size as the LCD panel ....

SO I am sure I know where the bulbs are located...but what is the correct method/way to inspect them.......
    Do I unclip the reflector screen from the metal frame ?? and will that expose the CCFL Tubes...
    I have attached photos 8 and 9 where I think the bulbs must be but if they pull out from there..Well ???

I really need an opinion here....as soon as possible ..I apologise if I have used incorrect names in identifying everything but I have tryed my best in my post and with the photos to make it reasonably straight forward ..Thankyou..
    Attached Files

Re: Please Help..Viewsonic VX2235wm-5 CCFL Location

Yes those are the ends of the tube assemblies but you can't pull them out by the ends, you will have to take the circuit boards off and remove the metal cover. If there is enough play in the ribbon cables you may not need to pull them out but I would in order to avoid breaking them. They should just pull straight out of the board mounted connections. Just be careful not to twist or bend them too much. Some ribbons have reinforced plastic strips attached to help pull them out with but I can't tell if these do from the photos.

You probably don't need to disconnect the long thin board from the actual LCD layer (I wouldn't) but will probably have to remove the screws and lift it out of the way to get the metal cover off. Be careful an pay attention how things come apart
    Last edited by SteveNielsen; 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Steve..Many thanks for your reply..I am in debt to you....Just to ensure I fully understand I will be grateful if you have a quick look at two more photos that I have Attached.....

One shows the Ribbon Latches or whatever they are called..and the second photo I have marked with text with what I believe I have to do .IE ..disconnect the Ribbon cables from the Circuit board ..Take the 3 screws out ( circled in Yellow ) which I presume are holding the circuit board to the metal frame and the LCD Panel and the Circuit board will be left as one piece on the towel by lifting the complete metal frame off ..

I am not familiar with Ribbon Cable Connectors but I understand one might just use ones fingernails to lift the BLACK Part and the ribbon just pulls out ..but I sure welcome advice on this.....Once the LCD panel with the circuit board attached is put out of the way in a safe place.. It makes sense to me that I just unclip the silver reflection plate from the metal frame and see what is behind it ??? ...At this stage I just want to visually inspect the bulbs and do a continuity test on them and if OK ..Immediately put everything back together...

Again Many thanks for your reply..
      Attached Files

Comment

I retract my statement about disconnecting the ribbon cables. I don't think those are the type of connectors that the end of the ribbon just slides into and out of.

Instead of disconnecting them I would disconnect the other wires to the boards, remove the screws holding the circuit boards and the tape holding the cables, and drape the boards with ribbon cables still connected over the top, then you should be able to get the metal cover off and be able to see how the tubes are in there. On a couple of monitors I've dismantled it was tricky to get the metal housing the tubes are in out of the rest of the assembly to actually inspect them without pulling the glass and several layers of reflective/dispersing film up a bit and even trickier to get back in place.

Comment

Steve ..Please do not retract your statement...Just minutes before your reply arrived I decided to lightly apply my fingernails to the Black piece and they do indeed lift up ...I took out the 3 screws from the circuit board and lifted to an upright position just to ensure nothing was holding it from underneath and simply lifted the metal frame off ..The ribbons just disengaged from the connector..and the LCD Panel with circuit board was sitting on the box supporting it from underneath...I am learning all the time and really thats what this exercise is all about...

So now I have the Metal frame with the Silver Panel in it.( Is this a Front silvered Glass?? )...I have carefully looked around the side and like the LCD panel there is a series of clips holding the two together ..so I will Spring these one by one with a small knife and If I am right I just lift the metal frame off ...(Its a good job I am doing this upside down which enables easy disengaging of each PLUS I do not have to touch anything bar the extreme outsides to move to safety)
          However on reflection I will wait a few hours just in case you reply with any warning for me.....I am not going to fall over at the final hurdle..

As I see it there is a glass Panel ..held in the metal frame ...Is there anything actually connected to the glass panel ??? Probably not or I hope not....???
          I should have had more confidence in my own ability ..You have no idea how much reading on Google and sending posts etc to various forums and you were the only one that got back to me with a constructive reply that enabled me to move forward on this...Cheers Hk
          Last edited by hairykiore; 07-04-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Good deal on the connectors. I would not disconnect anything you don't have to, those plastic film ribbons seem easy to break, so if you can just flop the skinny long board connecting the LCD out of the way I'd do that instead of trying to pull all those things out.

All displays are different but the few I've taken apart have a glass (or acrylic) panel and several layers of plastic film of varying reflectivity and translucence to diffuse the light from the tubes across the thing. Those I have seen have nothing connected to them except for the plastic sheet that contains the actual LCD array. If you have to remove the glass and film layers be very careful and put them back in the same order as removed. I suspect if you lift up the edge of the glass enough (with the layers of film) you should be able to get at the tubes without removing all that stuff. I haven't seen your particular model nor can I find any detailed information on it. Those I have seen the glass holds the tube assemblies in place.

Comment

Ok..but there is no way on this monitor I can see anything within without removing the glass (or acrylic) panel ...Then I will be able to see what I am up against .. Will get back to you when I have it off...I intend to take photos etc so I can make up an instruction sheet for its disasembly ..but where would I put It???

Ok the glass (or acrylic) panel has a plastic surround ...and it apparantly has to be carefully prized off at the ends..the top and bottom unclip easily..its the ends which are a problem ...I am 3/4 way around but its the Bulb Wire End I now have to attack ...I actually emailed the agent if they had a technical sheet on this monitor days ago but as yet no reply...

OH Dear..I have the plastic surround off and I see what you mean ..As you say there is two layers of a plastic film on top of a glass panel ??

I wonder if and how I take out this glass panel...

Now to ensure everything is as it comes off ....I wonder if the person who told me to check the CCFL tubes actually knew what has been involved doing it..
              Hk
              Last edited by hairykiore; 07-05-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Steve...I have attached two photos of the Glass screen... (#1 ) is the best plus a photo of each corner (#3 and #4)....

As you say it does appear to me that the bulb assemblies (top and Bottom) are actually attached to the glass screen ...Possibly with the Chrome Metal bead at the top and bottom of the glass having a part in holding everything.. ...If they are attached somehow to the glass screen it would seem that the wires coming from the inverter would have to be unplugged ...the alloy tape removed holding the wires to the metal frame which could allow the glass /bulbs and wires to be removed as one...

Of course I wonder if its safe to lift the glass at the non wire end and have a peek?

Sorry for the photo quality as its night time and I took them in the bathroom under a heat lamp?

I would welcome any comment ..Thanks..
                Attached Files

Comment

The metal beads are channels that hold the tubes. Looks like it might be simplest to put the glass face down on a towel and lift the frame off the glass rather than lift the glass on this one, then the channels with tubes should slip off the edge.

Comment

Steve ..As usual you are right cause I have done that and at the final hurdle ...and everything is sitting waiting for later today in daylight when I will carefully slip the channels off the edge...I presume I have to be very careful and ensure I slip them off evenly so I do not get a bow in them....I am hoping that they pass the test when removed as over here goodness know where or if I can get replacements ....Once checked I will be very happy to get everything back together again ..Hk.

Comment

Glad to hear it As long as you continue to be as careful as you obviously have been then I am sure you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X