Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lifted the solder pads help!

Hi folks,
    In the process of recapping a Viewsonic vx28wm monitor (same power board as the Hanns G mega thread) i appear to have lifted the solder pads off some parts of the power board.
    My initial thread questioning as to how i would go about fixing it along with initial pics is located here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23342
    I am a self confessed newbie in all of this but did take the time to practice my soldering on a practice board and i thought my recapping on the main board went very well for my first time and all that.
    However when i started in the power board things did not go to well. First cap was fine but then when i was checking the sturdiness of my second cap (wiggling it!) the solder pads popped off at the bottom then when i was uncapping the third cap (yes i uncap recap as i go) i noticed that one of the soldering areas popped up after i removed the existing cap.
    On further reading it appears it could be done to excessive heating ( i have a 60w iron - non controllable), excessive time of contact with the iron tip, old board and of course hamfistedness!
    I believe it was down to my excessive heating, inexperience of soldering and hamfistedness........but whats done is done.
    Can it be fixed is of course my question?
    The trace is intact at the moment, the joints on the second cap are connected well to the soldering pad and the capacitor along with the trace. I have of course stopped any more desoldering as i am obviously doing something wrong.
    So is there an easy fix for this? How would you guys proceed from now on knowing that the possibility of another one popping up is quite high.
    I will post a pic tomorrow in the light of day so you can see the lifted solder pad, indoor light isn't great for these kind of shots.
    Any thoughts welcomed

Re: lifted the solder pads help!

We will have to wait to see the damage to work out how to fix.
    60w is hot you would need to work very quickly on small joints- I usually remove most of the solder with soldermop before trying to pull the cap out - others will have their tips
    I work with a 45watt iron.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi All,
      Please see the photos below of my lifted soldering pads from the power board.
      Any ideas on the best way to fix this much appreciated.

Cheers
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you incinerated q601 as well or is that another issue?
        The pads all seem to be connected to the traces, but are there traces on the other side of the boards as well. If not I would try just gluing the pads back to the board with epoxy or superglue. Let it dry well then have another go. use leaded solder and work quickly.
        If you have any non conductive mastic sort of glue you could glue the cap to the top of the board before you solder - will give it bit extra support. Dont bother with the wiggle test. Thats my two cents- others may have other ideas. If it all fails it looks quite easy to glue the caps in then re create the traces.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi Selldoor,
          Yes from what i can see the traces look attached and undamaged - just lifted.
          As for 601, that is the state i found it in when i opened the case. From reading the forum feedback this board runs hot and i was told that this type of burn residue is normal, guess i will find out if i can get it back up and running.
          Too late to quit now, in far too deep as this stage

Comment

Working...
          X