Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP G62 won't power on. Burnt IC - Can't identify.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP G62 won't power on. Burnt IC - Can't identify.

Hey guys,

I have an HP G62-358CA laptop that won't power on. When the power button is pressed the machine powers up then shuts off (within half a second). I've opened up the case and found a burnt IC near the RTC battery (PQ67). I can't read the label due to damage and therefore can't find the part number.

None of HP service manuals go into "schematic-level" detail so I haven't been able to figure out this ICs function nor where to find a replacement for it.

Is anyone familiar with this part of the circuit that can lend a hand in identifying this part?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: HP G62 won't power on. Burnt IC - Can't identify.

Try this schematic: http://lqv77.com/download/697/ It doesn't match 100% (there's no PQ67) but i'm sure you'll find what you need if you take a close look, as the main blocks seem to be the same. What i can tell you about that part is that it's a power mosfet in SO-8 package, but the rest is up to you to find out.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I wonder if this is what happens when cheap chinese AC adapters are used.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3. I found the part. If only the burnt IC hadn't fused to the system board then I'd be able to replace it!

Comment

Use a heat gun and you should be able to remove it.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I would cut the legs off the IC.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I had already tried the heat gun (I have a reflow station). The IC basically fell apart. The board seems to have been damaged too as a couple of the legs wouldn't come off and lifted the top layer of the PCB. Luckily, the three pins on the IC where the PCB started lifting are all connected internally and there is another connection point nearby. It might end up being a bit of a hack, but it may just work. Here's to hoping!

Comment

You also might want to check some of the surrounding components to see if they shorted to ground, which in turn could have caused that nasty failure.

Comment

Originally posted by docksteaderluke View Post
                  Luckily, the three pins on the IC where the PCB started lifting are all connected internally and there is another connection point nearby. It might end up being a bit of a hack, but it may just work. Here's to hoping!
                  That would make it the source then. Don't be fooled by that - the pins aren't connected together for convenience, but because the device must switch fairly large currents. My advice would be to find out where that trace is going and use a nice heavy stranded wire to bridge it to the new mosfet, soldering to all 3 pins of the source.

Comment

Nice. That was my plan.

In the datasheet you provided the AO4712 is used in conjunction with an AO4496. On my board I've found an AO4712 used in conjunction with a NIKOS P2003BVG (in the power circuit, whereas the one that fried was down by the CMOS battery). Upon looking at both datasheets the specs of the two chips are similar but still a bit different. How sensitive are these circuits. Will it matter if the power/current ratings are off by a bit?

Comment

The Nikos device is weaker. Now to answer your question: Small differences don't really matter, it'll start up with almost anything if that mosfet was the only problem, but do have a temperature probe handy to check if your replacement runs at a reasonable temperature.

Comment

hi how do you solve this problem, if this is done, I have the same problem, hard to find ic NIKOS P2003BVG

Comment

If you like Chinese product, you can get it from here

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs...047271808.html

Comment

ok thank u

Comment

They are on eBay also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-P2003BV...-/371080454742

Probably more reputable seller too (been around longer, anyway!)
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                              X