Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Originally posted by dullishpage View Post
    If you live in the Bay Area, there is Jameco, they have will call.
    At least Jameco has a decent variety, but they do not carry low ESR caps. Replacing garbage with junk(for this application) isn't a repair, it's an exercise in futility.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Jameco didn't have some of the right capacitors for this repair, so i used digikey, except for two which i missed when ordering. I got those from Jameco, their capcacitors were rated 2000hrs higher than panisonic, they seem very decent and I have used them on over 50 motherboards and they have been installed and working 2+ years, after all its a Hanns-G monitor, you can't rebuild it into a SamSung or Viewsonic, lol...
      Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      At least Jameco has a decent variety, but they do not carry low ESR caps. Replacing garbage with junk(for this application) isn't a repair, it's an exercise in futility.

PlainBill

Comment

I just recapped my power board for the 3rd time. This time I purchased all low ESR panasonic, and nichicon caps that were recommended from this site. And I replaced every cap this time. When I had not low esr nte caps on the board it would give me a blue led and show video for a short time, now with the new caps it's back to doing absolutely nothing, no led, no video, no electronic hum. I am pretty much out of patience at this point, is there anything that I could possibly be missing?
        Sorry if I sound rude, just really irritated with this

Thanks for the info
        Jason

Comment

Originally posted by outbreak View Post
          now with the new caps it's back to doing absolutely nothing, no led, no video, no electronic hum.

This is pretty much the same thing PlainBill said in post #123.

If you have no power LED, the first thing to check is to see if you have 5V standby voltage. If yes, then check to see if there is 5V DC on the main/logic board. The logic board will instruct the SMPS to start via PS_ON or some equivalent pin.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello Badcaps Vets,

I picked up this Hanns-G HG281D monitor at work, no power problem, no blue led, nothing. I read through all the threads and haven't ever done any soldering ever. I'll look through the youtube links.
            Would it be smart to just order the caps suggested for power issues as mentioned in earlier threads? - (C603,606 and 707 & couple more small one) Also what other smaller caps are suggested to replace for power issues? I'm attaching some pics there is some glare from all the lighting to used if they're not clear enough please advise and I will retake during the day.

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by holun5 View Post
              Would it be smart to just order the caps suggested for power issues as mentioned in earlier threads? - (C603,606 and 707 & couple more small one)
              No. Luck at the post just above yours. Start by taking voltage readings and then we can proceed from there. It might end up that you will need to replace caps, but what if you just have a blown fuse?
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi Retiredcaps,

Ahh that's an idea, I'm at work and won't be able to test with the multimeter until tomorrow night as I am traveling. Where would I be able to find the fuses on the Hanns-G HG281D or where can I start to look?

Thanks,

Holun5

Comment

Normally there is a fuse right by the AC plug. It will be marked something like F100 where "F" on the PCB stands for fuse.

Fuses come in all shapes, color, and sizes which is why you have to read the pcb board.

A good fuse will measure less than 1.0 ohms.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps I'll start by checking the fuse then check every cap with the multimeter as described in the thread. I'll update in a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by holun5 View Post
                      Thanks retiredcaps I'll start by checking the fuse then check every cap with the multimeter as described in the thread.
                      A multimeter will NOT be able to measure the ESR of capacitors. A multimeter can measure capacitance, but in the SMPS environment, we are more concerned about ESR.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay, here is an update with my Hanns-G 28" LCD monitor.

I first replaced the caps on the power board and it did not do anything for my LCD. I experienced the same symptoms as before, shakiness and shutoff after a minute or so. I gave up for a few months but then decided to replace all the caps from the main board and BINGO! The LCD works just like new again.

I 'm so proud of myself and I have this forum to thank, so THANK YOU for introducing me to all these cap issues

Originally posted by algomez View Post
                        Okay, I just ran the fan test and I get the same result. I pointed the fan to the power board, I turned on the monitor and it stayed on for about 5 minutes then it shut off and the blue power light stayed on. I hit the power button again and it would shut off. Turning on the monitor again would stay on for a few seconds then shutoff. I did notice shakiness in the screen text.

I pointed the fan at every circuit board aswell and same thing.

Not sure what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by algomez View Post
                          I first replaced the caps on the power board and it did not do anything for my LCD. I experienced the same symptoms as before, shakiness and shutoff after a minute or so. I gave up for a few months but then decided to replace all the caps from the main board and BINGO! The LCD works just like new again.

I 'm so proud of myself and I have this forum to thank, so THANK YOU for introducing me to all these cap issues
                          Congratulations.

Recapping both boards is what I wrote in this other related thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Fixed my power supply issue using this site, THANK YOU to everyone who posted! Now it seems the logic board is not working despite replacing several of the electrolytics on the the logic board (granted used ones, but it didn't make it worse or better). Monitor turns on and stays on, but it will flash a solid red image every 3/4 of a second if set to 1920x1080, other resolutions will either go blank (most likely cause the monitor does not support them), and for other resolutions the screen will flash slower or faster, but still remains a solid red. No image of any kind shows up other than wavy lines and seems worse when using the HDMI compared to using the VGA input. Will take pictures, but I am working on this monitor after someone else, so many of the solder joins are pretty bad shape, even after trying to clean them up.

When trying to upload pictures, I get this:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
                            Last edited by HostileHST; 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by HostileHST View Post
                              Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
                              Follow my sig file in the above posts exactly to upload your pictures.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Outside of it looking rather dark, I got it to work. Ended up touching up all the pins on that huge IC in the middle of the HDMI/VGA board, then I did more clean up on some solder joints that looked bad on the power supply plus fixed some bad traces, then I took the board at the very top of the LCD and redid solder joints here and there and too my surprise it's working, BUT, I OWE IT ALL TO THIS GREAT WEBSITE FOR ALL OF ITS SUPER AWESOME INFORMATION!!!

Comment

Does anyone sell complete boards for these things?I took mine apart, no visual problems and I currently don't have the time or the will to troubleshoot it piece by piece.

Comment

Originally posted by kukri View Post
                                    Does anyone sell complete boards for these things?I took mine apart, no visual problems and I currently don't have the time or the will to troubleshoot it piece by piece.
                                    About all you can do is check eBay and ShopJimmy; google the board numbers.

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Does anyone have a list of "all" the electrolytic capacitors with corresponding board numbers for both versions of these monitors? I'd be willing to re-open mine to get the info if it helps anyone.

Comment

I have the x seconds to blank. The led stays on all the time, but nothing else.

I've read this entire post, but I'm unsure if the fix is to recap both boards.

If so, can I get some help with which caps to order?

Pics attached. (ok, not attached... I keep getting errors) First it was no security token, now it just says failed to upload.

I have C8,31,32,33,34 and CS20-28 on my power supply board.

I have a message in to the admin requesting help with the uploads
                                        Last edited by Greg4050; 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg4050 View Post
                                          I have the x seconds to blank. The led stays on all the time, but nothing else.

I've read this entire post, but I'm unsure if the fix is to recap both boards.

If so, can I get some help with which caps to order?

Pics attached. (ok, not attached... I keep getting errors) First it was no security token, now it just says failed to upload.

I have C8,31,32,33,34 and CS20-28 on my power supply board.

I have a message in to the admin requesting help with the uploads
                                          The 'Security token' message means the pictures were too large. The maximum allowed is 2000 pixels in any direction.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X