Samsung UN46B6000 lightning strike issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN46B6000 lightning strike issues

To begin with,this set is almost 3 years old. Saturday evening I was playing Playstation3 on it when lightning struck really close to my home.
    Before I saw the lightning or heard thunder Iheard a click come from the area of my tv. It is connected to a cheapo inline surge protector so I know whatever happened to the set is my own fault.

Here is what's wrong. I still get a good clean screen. Menu works,ETC.

All HDMI ports seem dead as well as onboard audio. I connected my Dish Network box up to the component connectors in the rear of the tv and I'm getting good video.Had to get a cheapo soundbar so we could get audio from the Dish Network box also.

What part of the TV would you recommend me circuit testing? Is there one board that could be replaced to fix my problem?
    Thanks to all who read this and answer.

Meauxjeaux

Just wanted to throw in a quick edit. This is a LED edge lit LCD panel for those who are wondering.
    Last edited by Meauxjeaux; 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM.

Re: Samsung UN46B6000 lightning strike issues

Since HDMI is dead you're gonna need a new mainboard. HDMI uses a special encryption chip, that due to stupid copyright laws, is not available to buy anywhere.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

What's especially bogus is the fact that unencrypted data is available immediately on the outputs of the chip (or going to T-con.) All the encryption in the cable is utterly useless.

http://www.tgohome.com/HDCP-flaws/
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        Since HDMI is dead you're gonna need a new mainboard. HDMI uses a special encryption chip, that due to stupid copyright laws, is not available to buy anywhere.
        Thank you for the quick response. Are you saying I can purchase a new mainboard and my ports will work again? What about sourcing a used/refurb board?

Comment

Originally posted by Meauxjeaux View Post
          Thank you for the quick response. Are you saying I can purchase a new mainboard and my ports will work again? What about sourcing a used/refurb board?
          Used would be fine, most are pulls from TVs < 3 months old which have been hit/dropped (sometimes in shipping, new in box!) damaging the screen making them useful only for parts.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I understand that there is firmware updates available from Samsung for this set.
            So query for Tom and Th3_uN1Qu3 - is it possible that the fault could be rectified by installing a new firmware - OP has access to screen and menu so should be possible to do an update but I dont know if it would do any good.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

It would be strange for all four to go wrong at once... as well as the audio.

OP - After the strike did the inputs stop working immediately or just later on?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                It would be strange for all four to go wrong at once... as well as the audio.

OP - After the strike did the inputs stop working immediately or just later on?
                They quit working immediately. Also,when the set volume is turned up I can hear an audible ticking/thumping noise coming from the set until I turn the volume all the way down.

Comment

I would say you could diagnose it if you have a multimeter; to me it sounds like a bad voltage regulator or something shorted.

Comment

I have a good Fluke Multi-Meter. Not sure what i need to be checking though.

Comment

Take the back cover off your TV and take pictures of the main board. (The board with inputs on it.)

Are there any other functions that aren't working - can you test the digital audio output, VGA and the composite video inputs?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Take the back cover off your TV and take pictures of the main board. (The board with inputs on it.)

Are there any other functions that aren't working - can you test the digital audio output, VGA and the composite video inputs?
                        I plan on taking the back panel off this evening when I get home from work. I'll definitely post up some pics when I do.
                        I tried hooking up the digital audio fiber cable from my Dish box to the TV but still god no audio from the TV speakers.

Comment

The audio optical is usually an output, not an input. You'd need a device such as your soundbar to receive the signal, if it has a digital input.

Comment

ahh,gotcha. Well I have a soundbar but it is only RCA inputs

Comment

We dont get many LED tvs on here (yet?) so it would be good if you could do
                              a picture of the chassis of the tv with the back off then one of each board
                              ( May help others in the future) - this is my usual request, but just the front of the boards will be good unless/until you have to take them off.
                              Please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246
                              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                ( May help others in the future) - this is my usual request, but just the front of the boards will be good unless/until you have to take them off.
                                Please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

I'll do my very best to get y'all some good pics. I'm a newb here so please be patient with my site navigating skills,lol.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get the pics. We had a Hurricane down here and had some damage that needed tending to before tackling this TV problem.

Anyway,here's the pics.I searched very closely for any burnt circuitry on the front and back of the Power board and the Digital board and could not find anything.
                                  My set is also starting to power on and off by itself when turning the set on in the morning.It will do this for about 7 minutes before staying on for good.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

some more pics
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post

Well,I posted the pics as you said and nobody will give me any responses.I know I'm a bit late to post the pics but we just got over a hurricane down here in south Louisiana and it's been pretty tough to find time to tear this TV apart for pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                      X