Rack parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack parts

Sorry if I describe some components incorrectly but I have never worked with rackmount stuff before.

Anyways, A while back I briefly mentioned I got hold of an HP 9000 D-class system.

It originally came in that nice HP rack however someone shotgunned it and I was left with all of the internals...and the HP-UX discs which were taped to the inside of the machine.

...well, almost all the internals.
    While I managed to get a bag of bolts, the majority of the hardware that was in the rack had little "ledges" which were bolted to the front and back of the rack and the hardware sat on top of that as well as they were bolted to the front so they did not slide out. There was also a power bar which had those pass-through connectors that a lot of older AT and early ATX power supplies had (you know, that thing on the top right?).
    I was unable to keep the ledges or the power bar.
    If I'm to put this back in a full size rack I need to find both those sets of ledges and the power bar but are these stock rackmount components or are these kinds of things proprietary to HP?
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Rack parts

If the connectors are just AC, why get the power rail, just use a power strip and different cables.

Comment

power bar can be generic. i dont know why you need that though
      generic rack rails that provide ledges are available
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The power bar is actually what you'd call a "PDU". Power Distribution Unit. We just bought an APC one for the rack here at work. It's nice... two circuits, with LED load meters for each circuit. Cost $350, I think.

The rack shelves you can just make out of some angle iron.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Okay so the question regarding the shelves has been answered but I'm still curious about the PDU.

The one that was in the rack connected directly to the UPS unit that sat at the very bottom of the rack. I can't just replace it with a regular power bar as it (the UPS) outputs 230V and all the PSUs for all the hardware are currently set to accept 230V.
          Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
            I can't just replace it with a regular power bar as it (the UPS) outputs 230V and all the PSUs for all the hardware are currently set to accept 230V.
            cough
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the UPS is dead already. This thing is old. Are you going to play with it or leave it on 24/7?

Just set the PSUs to 120v and get a power strip. This thing is like 100mhz.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                I wouldn't be surprised if the UPS is dead already. This thing is old. Are you going to play with it or leave it on 24/7?

Just set the PSUs to 120v and get a power strip. This thing is like 100mhz.
                Actually, I did get a call back from the university because I inquired.
                Turns out the battery packs were replaced a few months ago (the whole system has been in active service for so long I can't get any of the hard drives to spin up anymore because the motors are so worn out). They still work and if I dragged home 500 pounds of UPS gear, damnit, I'm going to use it.
                Find Nedry!

Comment

Then I don't know. PDU will be expensive.

Comment

I'll have to fabricate something I guess.
                    Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                    X