mobo memory problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mobo memory problems

I'm having a problem with an ASUS P5KE that ASUS sent me as a replacement for an older mobo on warranty.

It has four memory slots. The two yellow ones are A1 and B1. Those are the ones I need for dual channel.
    The problem I am having is that the board only posts when I have memory in the A slots but will not post if I have any memory in the B slots.
    They replaced it a few times. Some times they confirmed the problem, Sometimes they said it worked for them, but then I had the same problem again.
    I also tested different memory. I even sent them my memory, and they say it worked for them. They tested it outside the case, with a video card, so they could see that it booted, but they did not have sound so they could not hear the post beeps.
    I tested it in the case without a video card, and relied on the post beeps to see if it posted ok.
    They suggested that I test it outside the case, to see if that makes any difference.

If you want you can watch this 15 minute video to see how I tested it.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/213167231/asusp5ke.wmv
    Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Re: mobo memory problems

1. Do not put on this particular site as it delays users to this awful 60 second penalty and choices of paying to get it quickly.

2. Video is HUGE. 136MB. No way to d/l that.

3. What is PSU are you using? What CPU and what kind of memory are you using and ARE they 1.8V (DDR2) and matched pair?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Pentium D 820 ( on their supported processor list, they agree it should work).
      Seasonic 550HT new.
      Kingston KVR1066D2N7K2/2G ( on Kingston list for this mobo, Asus agrees it is the correct memory.
      Detailed
      Specifications: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 1066MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR2, 1.8V, CL7, FBGA, Gold)
      It comes in a kit of two.

Comment

i have one of those boards at the shop.
        2x 2gb modules in the 2 yellow slots work fine.
        can you try another pair of modules?
        bum ram from kingston is rare but it happens.

Comment

2 X 1GB modules in the yellow slots is supposed to work.
          I'm writing this because its not working.
          I also tried 2 X 2BB of the kingston 800 with the same results.
          I'm trying to find out why its working for them ( they say ) but not for me.

Comment

Decent stuff but I have questions:

D 820 is 800 FSB, the one you showed us was Q9300 cpu what is going on? Heatsink goo should be spread thin all over on the CPU heatsink if contact base is *smaller* than CPU's heatspreader. D 820 is 95W CPU so need careful attention to cooling and PSU rating. Later CPUs like pentium duos, 45nm C2Ds, etc are under 65W or less for most of the line currently and newer 45nm C2Ds are rated around 45W.

Is PSU OEM or Retail?

And I recommand getting another DDR2 pair sticks at DDR2 800. Crucial would be adviseable, or Mushkin if you can get.

When populating the memory, it goes like this: A1, A1 B1, A1 B1 A2, A1 B1 A2 B2 in the filling order, each bank matched pairs in like color memory slots and must be same speed 800 is 800 so on. Not all over like you did in the video. The kingston 1066 type might be marginal sticks. What is other sticks you have because it is not same as the other two?

PS: I have P5K and E2200 then E5200 using 20pin ATX & 4 pin CPU PSU. Excellent board. Then swapped PSU for later one using 24pin plug. Still no issues, I used kingston valueram then crucial. DDR2-800. P35 is rated for these. Asus tweaked settings to run memory at 1066 if using DDR-1066, which I don't think good idea to do so if you are after 100% reliablity.

Sure the D 820 cpu known good CPU that works in other boards ditto to Q9300? Which is also is 95W cpu.

Also what kind of video card also?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The video used a Q9300 to see if it was any different than the D820.
              The PSU is retail.
              The video tested the memory in each slot seperately because says it is supposed to post that way. That would not be how it is to be used. If it cant post with the memory in each slot then there is a problem

The point here is that ASUS says they tested it and it worked for them.
              So, I am looking for ideas as to why it is not working for me.
              They said to try it outside of the box. I am skeptical about why this should make any difference, but I will try it.
              They tested it with this same memory, so I also don't see why it should not work when I try it.

Comment

My point is they could had tested with their memory of this same kingston's part number.
                Remember, Kingston buys memory sticks and chips and assembles them. So one batch can be good but another is not.

This is why I recommended trying Crucial or Mushkin, try to get DDR2 800. 1066 may not be good speed for that P35 chipset especially if this model of memory sticks are barely rated. Asus sometimes is fussy with memory timings.

Second, what kind of video card, could be bad?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Actually, I sent them my memory, and they say they tested it with that.

The problem I'm having is trying to see why it works for them and not for me.
                  They say to test it outside the case, they way they did.
                  I'm looking for ideas along the lines of what could be causing the problem.

Comment

Do that and see what happens? Plus, cannot test PC without video card which is necessary. Mainboard without onboard video beeps without video card installed. That is another reason it could be a problem.

The case is low quality. It flexed lot when pushing in memory sticks in there.

Everyone is commenting little because we did give our suggestions to you and are waiting for the results. My suggestion with memory still stands, make sure video card is not a problem.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The yellow slots are A
                      The green slots are B.

Dual channel has a few options, but for two modules they go in the two yellow slots.

I'm using the D820
                      Kingston 1066
                      Palit hd2600xt video card

So this is what happened.
                      I tested it outside the case and it worked with two modules in the yellow slots !!!!!!!!

So now, what is the problem?
                      I'm getting a new case for a different system that I'm building in a few days.
                      I'll try it in that case and see what happens.
                      Could it be the mobo or the case???

Any ideas on why this is happening?
                      Last edited by travistee; 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Problem solved:

I had some extra standoffs in the case.
                        I removed them and it works fine now.
                        Two 1066 modules in the dual channel slots.

Comment

Groan!! Are these metal standoffs?

Second, good for you to go hunting for a decent case. This case you have is not even fit for a cola cans.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

They are metal,
                            I think brass.

Comment

Working...
                            X