usb firmware help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb firmware help

question for you guys I have 7 generic usb sounds cards all the same model that are part of my home automation system however I am tired of the randomly getting out of order on reboots what I would like to do it is pull the firmware from one of them and rename each one what I am having trouble finding is a firmware dumping program that will do it. I am hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks,
    yonu

not enough info

You want to change their HW id's? Can you manually set the resources so they are always in the same order? How does this work with home automation? Who makes these?

Comment

Re: usb firmware help

I have treyed changed resources hell they are even on 2 powered hubs but that hasn't helped. in the home automation they serve as the mic ports so that it can tell where the voice control is coming from and also as the speaker ports for each rooms voice commands and separate audio zones I have no idea who makes them I picked them up on ebay about 4 months ago for like 1.50 each shipped the only markings on them is a label with model hy554 usb 3D sound. windows simply sees them as a usb audio device in device manager and as sss usb headphone set everywhere else and from what I can find by google the sss usb headphone set comes from the device firmware. So I figure the best solution is to change what is in the firmware.

Comment

Things like this have poor software support. If there is no firmware update from the manufacturer then you are going to have serious problems. Crack one open and see what chip they use. Maybe there is a generic or reference design with firmware updates for it. You are trying to reverse engineer a piece of hardware that you don't even know the maker of. Just a thought; you might be able to differentiate them somehow under linux.

Comment

will have to check the chip and nope have tryed it in windows liux and macos they all read as sss usb headphone set

Comment

I was unable to find anything on the chip that identified a manufacture so here is a pic of the chip if anyone can help me out.

Thanks,
            yonu
            Attached Files

Comment

The chip marks aren't useful: the only reference is a post on the NSLU2 Linux wiki for a sound server mod. One guy bought an usb sound card with the same chip and managed to hear only heavily distorted sounds; attempts to find the manifacturer were unsuccesfull and he links a picture where the chip is claimed to be a fake.
              After the fake Kingston pen drives scam, our beloved chinese crap manifacturers are moving to counterfeit usb audio chips?

Anyway post the USB ID (just read it with "lsusb -a" on a linux console or under Device manager on Winows): unless it's fake too, you can know at least the manifacturer.

Zandrax
              Last edited by zandrax; 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM.
              Have an happy life.

Comment

it actually has 2 ids one on the hid side and one on the audio side

Hardware ID HID\Vid_0c76&Pid_1605&Rev_0100&MI_03
                Hardware ID USB\Vid_0c76&Pid_1605&Rev_0100&MI_00

Thanks again

also the audio I get from them is as good as my Soundblaster live outputs

Comment

Finding squat on the ids. I think you're going to write an app to keep them in order. A lot easier than rewriting their firmware unless you physically access the chips. There may not be a software way to flash them.

You can try to find what chip they are copying and any documentation on that. I can't see any memory on that device, any flash or eeprom on the back? It might be all in one and not writable.

Comment

nope the onley think on the back is a screen that says audio 008 and thanks was worth a shot

Comment

that VID points to JMTek, one of those HUGE OEM manufacturers.

i'd say if that chip is a knockoff, it's probably designed after a C-Media chip (CM10x).
                      but even with those you wouldn't have much luck with the firmware thing.

maybe you can find a workaround... i.e. some device that connects them in a specific sequence after the os has loaded, with some pause in between.
                      you only need 2 lines per device (D+, D-) so this could even be done with relays.
                      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                      X