Rust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust!

A client came to dispose a PC at my place as he couldn't find an e-waste recycling place that would dispose of his old PC for free. He lives in an upmarket and expensive house which is about 800m away from the beach and the ocean.

Externally the case looks like it's in good condition, but once I opened it up to strip it down for parts, I was shocked to find that the chassis had rust everywhere and the fan outlet in the rear has rust all around it. I think the case is an Antec one because it is decently built with 0.8mm steel and has the Antec style bezel.

Anyway the components inside seem to be ok except for the RAM which seems to be bad. The Gigabyte (forgot model) based AMD athlon XP motherboard with a VIA chipset seems to work fine and is filled with Rubycon, NCC and Sanyo caps. The AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU seems to work perfectly as well. The 7200.7 40Gb Seagate Barracuda IDE HDD has no bad sectors and no rust either so that's going into my media center PC.

But yes, I am quite shocked to have found a PC which has a rusted chassis. This PC is positioned indoors and under a table as well, so it had decent protection from the ocean breezes that contain salt etc.
    It makes me wonder how the house, the car and whatever else metal outside the home would feel like.

Since it is a decently built case, I have to sand all the rust off tomorrow and probably give it a coat of white paint on the chassis.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Rust!

Free PC components... SCORE!
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

computer cases are not made of bare steel but of steel which is probably electroplated with zinc. considering that our office is next to the sea and we dont have such problem i think there was some problem in the production of the electroplated steel made for this case.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Antec probably gets their Zinc from Fuhjyyu.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          Antec probably gets their Zinc from Fuhjyyu.
          Zing!

I have an Antec Sonata case (it houses my server) in my humid basement and not a speck of rust on it but I don't live anywhere near the ocean so it must be the salty air. That stuff rusts everything.

Just like now the salt they toss on the roads eats through the paint and rusts the crap out of our cars on the east coast.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-25-2009, 11:45 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

i have seen a bunch of badly rusted computer cases.
            mostly in factories,machine shops,garages,ect.
            one came in the shop with the bottom rusted out and an overpowering stink of cat piss.the family cat had been "marking" the pc for several years!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
              i have seen a bunch of badly rusted computer cases.
              mostly in factories,machine shops,garages,ect.
              one came in the shop with the bottom rusted out and an overpowering stink of cat piss.the family cat had been "marking" the pc for several years!
              yup, seen much of the same. You know its bad when someone brings a mechanical device to be serviced (VCR, DVD player, etc), and all the moving parts are rusted together from mice using their device as a bathroom. I'd hate to see what the rest of their house looked like....
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                Zing!

I have an Antec Sonata case (it houses my server) in my humid basement and not a speck of rust on it but I don't live anywhere near the ocean so it must be the salty air. That stuff rusts everything.

Just like now the salt they toss on the roads eats through the paint and rusts the crap out of our cars on the east coast.
                I spent one winter up a little North of Chicago and it completely ruined the exhaust system I had put in the truck just before I went.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I'm on the East Coast. I never knew that I needed to get my PC case Z barted just like the car to keep it from rusting too.
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

You don't need to a long as you don't salt your mouse pad to keep the ball from slipping.
                    [salt the road]

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

My Mouse doesn't have Balls amymore. Its Optical, and deballed.
                      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                      Rod Serling

Comment

My Antec P182 is about 50% plastic.

Comment

My mouse has got just one tiny ball....

On top!

That's Apple's 360° scroll wheel... it's soooooo nice to use but wow does it get dirty!

Then it sticks until you hold it upside-down to clean it.

Have Fun!
                          Keri

Absolutely NO double or triple entendre here.... move along, there's nothing to see!
                          Attached Files
                          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

LOL

While on rusty stuff, TVs that was from swimming pool on the hangers high up still rusted from the clorine/whatever is newer that tinted greenish had rusty steel bits (screws, tuners etc).

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I saw rust before on bikes, just from being humid, when I was in southern New Hampshire. LOL.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I've come accross plenty of rusted PC cases. It's usually worst around the fan grills. At least it improves ventilation!
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yes I agree... you are from NSW as well?
                                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Oh and seeing as Sydney had a half decent dust storm this morning... I'm expecting to see a wide range of PCs come in next week with iron rich dust around the fans. Muhahaha

Comment

I have caused surface rust on the unpained metal on a few PC's I have owned over the years. The rust was caused by the sweat/salt on my hands during our hot humid nasty days of summer. I always wash and dry my hands first now not to mention I put central A/C in this dump a few years ago.
                                      As many of you may know, I'm an animal lover....No I'm not a member of PETA and never will be. Some animals just have to be used for medical research. I just hate the people who abuse their animals that they keep as so called pets! I'm off my topic again...
                                      Anyway other things around here are causing rust now. My wife has this nasty little male chihuahua. I mean he is a nice loving little doggie and all but he pees on everything! I just happened to look at an old Pavilion 6530 that had its cover removed, and its rusted all to hell now! Boo Boo has been using it as his personal leg cocking station. The case is a mess but the parts that I wanted from it are still good. I moved that one so now he has started on a home built fast AMD PC that also has its cover off. Most of the stuff in that one I'm sending to RatDude after I clean and dry it. Got to clean up the case too as I'm going to build an AMD K6/2 450 mhz in it.
                                      Now just the other day my surge protector under my desk smoked out. My cat did that one. I hope that she got a good shock to her equipment while she was at work under my desk! Maybe I should rename her "Dottie Electra."
                                      Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

lol i have a CPU that would fit that board nicely now.
                                        My Computer.
                                        AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                        Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                        Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                        500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                        1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                        2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Working...
                                        X