Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps HEGE HEGE DEX Chart

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gateway FPD2485W - Black screen, no backlighting, menu works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - Black screen, no backlighting, menu works...

Originally posted by M1Combat View Post
    Well crap. Have I been able to give ANY useful info as to what may need replacing and/or repairing?
    Looking at readings in post #5, all I know is that there is voltage but I have no clue as to what they really are. The accuracy is so far off the readings are not to be trusted.

If the reading were really 50V DC, all your caps would have exploded.

Some multimeters give false readings if the battery is low. You can try changing the battery and see if it makes a difference or not.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You have mains electricity and some voltage on your power supply so fuses are good

If this is just a one off sortie into electronics, unless you feel you have need of a good meter, I would just get a cheap digital multimeter.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat as M1Combat. Just replaced all the caps (same order including the one cap on the video processor board since there wasn't another cap for that one in my kit). I did replace the 2 caps on the inverter board as well.

I plug in, turn on, buttons light up, even sounds like the display is about to turn on but then goes into sleep mode. I tired to use a flashlight to see the splash logo or menu, but was unable at first test.

I need to go back through and take pictures + get voltage readings. My mulitimeter is pretty old as well, but when going through and testing all my joints, everything checked out.

I did have a small issue with getting one of the caps on the inverter board replaced. The through hole sealed, and I had a hell of a time getting the solder out of it (even with a sucker). I may have charred the through hole eyelet a bit on one side of the board, but when checking the voltage, it still hit 30-33v.

Interested in seeing what M1Combat finds out and if anyone else has any input.

Comment

One trick when you work on the double-sided PCB especially the ground plain (it sucks up heat from your iron like crazy), make sure to use at least 40Watts soldering iron. Add more solder to the hole you are going to work on, then get a stainless dental tool with sharp point (I got my from Harbor Freight) put it on the component side of the PCB, then heat the hole on the other side until the point of the needle come through hole, since solder will not stick to stainless steel, when you remove the sharp and you will have a nice clean hole for you new parts.
          I still waiting to find out if his new meter will read.
          By the way, you have to monitor hooked up to the running PC?
          Last edited by budm; 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

No... That was with no video input.

I'll get a new meter and re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronditto View Post
              I plug in, turn on, buttons light up, even sounds like the display is about to turn on but then goes into sleep mode.
              Do you have a working computer displaying your favourite wallpaper hooked up to the lcd?
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                Do you have a working computer displaying your favourite wallpaper hooked up to the lcd?
                I have not plugged it into a machine / device yet to test as I'm expecting to at least see the Gateway splash screen, as well as the monitors on screen menu system before concluding a victory.

Comment

I have not plugged it into a machine / device yet to test as I'm expecting to at least see the Gateway splash screen, as well as the monitors on screen menu system before concluding a victory.
                  Plug in a monitor. Your lcd may be working, but since it sees no signal, it goes into sleep mode.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    Plug in a monitor. Your lcd may be working, but since it sees no signal, it goes into sleep mode.
                    Shouldn't I at least see the Gateway Splash screen as that initializes before a video signal detection runs?

Comment

Here's another question I couldn't seem to find on the forum (so far). Do you need the front panel logic cable to be plugged in for the monitor to start up and display (when connected) when everything is working properly? It's a real pain to take that off and on each time I go to test.

Since the display hasn't turned on for a few days while going through this, I wasn't sure if that panel was necessary in the overall startup process.

Comment

@aaronditto -
                        "Do you need the front panel logic cable to be plugged in for the monitor to start up and display " - I dont know that we know this set well enough to say - a picture might help us know what you are talking about - Ive been on this forum for a year and no-one has ever had this problem. Do you mean you have to attach the whole of the front panel. The button board is usually detachable?

Can you at least try and attach a computer we dont ask people to do things just for fun
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Here's another question I couldn't seem to find on the forum (so far). Do you need the front panel logic cable to be plugged in for the monitor to start up and display (when connected) when everything is working properly? It's a real pain to take that off and on each time I go to test.

Since the display hasn't turned on for a few days while going through this, I wasn't sure if that panel was necessary in the overall startup process.
                          As long as the monitor was on ,and powered down by removing the AC cord it will power up without the front panel switch connected.
                          Most monitors will return to the last state they were in when power was removed.
                          As selldoor mentioned please have a siginal going to the monitor.
                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

OK so - I plugged it in, and the same thing (no display output). It does recognize that the DVI cable is plugged in, and the USB ports on the monitor work as well. It did not go into sleep mode this time, so I assumed it was getting some kind of signal.

I then took a flashlight to it in a dark room, and I do in fact see the Gateway on-screen menu in the bottom right corner, as well as web pages etc being displayed (very faintly).

That would indicate a problem on the inverter board correct? As I mentioned, I had a little trouble with one of the capacitors on that board. I fear that the through hole is damaged now, as I'm unable to get barely any solder to stick to the through hole itself. I can however, get solder to flow through the joint (to the other side). Is that enough to maintain conductivity?

Good to know that front panel doesn't need to be connected to test this. I just noticed during this last test that the ribbon cable is starting to get a little worn, and it looks like there is a small crack in the latch where the cable plugs into and locks down. If that latch breaks, am I SOL? Or if the ribbon contacts get ripped, is there replacement parts (ribbon and front panel board / latch) for that? I think I may be able to get the front panel connected and the ribbon cable secure one more time before it's destroyed.

Comment

Does the screen flash up for a second before going to black or does it not flash up at all?

Are there any pictures of the damaged hole so that we can advise you what to connect the leg too?
                              Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                              Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

There is no "flash up" or anything after plugging in the power and DVI cable. Solid black. Seeing the screen using the flashlight method was the closest to a possible success so far. My biggest fear at this point is not getting that damn front panel ribbon cable re-attached LOL.

I will take pictures of each board and my work thus far later today when I take it apart (again) to review.

Comment

There is no "flash up" or anything after plugging in the power and DVI cable. Solid black. Seeing the screen using the flashlight method was the closest to a possible success so far. My biggest fear at this point is not getting that damn front panel ribbon cable re-attached LOL.

I will take pictures of each board and my work thus far later today when I take it apart (again) to review.
                                  On the wiring connector from the power supply to the inverter you should see aprox. 20 volts, feeding the inverter fuses.
                                  And an a back light on/ off signal of around 3v.
                                  Last edited by alexanna; 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM. Reason: on off voltage
                                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
                                  X