Samsung 912N Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 912N Problem

Thank you for your response retiredcaps. Those are good questions and I will answer them this holiday weekend. As to Nothing, the screen goes dark, ie the backlights switch off. Blue power light also goes out at that time too. Then I unplug the VGA cable and then I can turn it back on again and get the screen saver. And I have tried a couple different VGA cables. And I will post logic board photos as well.

Comment

Front and back of the logic board:
      Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps something here: on post #1, the heatsink on the bottom of the left hand photo is energized with about 70v. Is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by LAS View Post
          Front and back of the logic board:
          What is the part number for IC600 and IC201?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Perhaps something here: on post #1, the heatsink on the bottom of the left hand photo is energized with about 70v. Is this normal?
            Heatsinks are likely live. Since your power mosfet is probably attached to that heatsink, it will register high voltage.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) IC601 is APL5522. Datasheet is attached

2) Measure pins 1-4 while using pin 7 for GND (black probe).

3) Report readings.
              Attached Files
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

IC601 (APL5522)
                Pin 1 3.3v
                Pin 2 4.25v
                Pin 3 4.2v
                Pin 4 2.5v

IC201
                A81SC
                C423

Comment

As to IC201, I did a little online research as well as here on Badcaps, and it looks like it cross references to 24C08 if I'm not mistaken. With that, I was able to find a datasheet and this is what I found with the black probe on pin 4 Vss (ground):

1 less than 1v
                  2 less than 1v
                  3 less than 1v
                  4 Ground
                  5 SDA (Serial Address/Data IO) 5.11v
                  6 SCL (Serial Clock) 5.1v
                  7 WP (Write Protect input) 5.11
                  8 Vcc (+) 5.11 and spec calls for 4.5-5.5

I'm not familiar enough with this package to know if it's good or bad, but should the whole top row all be at 5.1v?

Comment

IC601 (APL5522)
                    Pin 1 3.3v
                    Pin 2 4.25v
                    Pin 3 4.2v
                    Pin 4 2.5v
                    IC601 is fine. What is part number for IC600?
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

IC600
                      A43AG
                      FDS9933A

I googled each number, and while I came up with a part # for A43AG, the package didn't match. I googled FDS9933A, and it looked more like the part on the board. Datasheet is attached below. A dual channel 2.5v specified Power Trench MOSFET. Finding myself on a roll, I took some voltage measurements using a mounting screw as a ground point:

Pin 1 S1 12.4
                      Pin 2 G1 12.4
                      Pin 3 S2 5.0
                      Pin 4 G2 .5
                      Pin 5 D2 5.0
                      Pin 6 D2 5.0
                      Pin 7 D1 0
                      Pin 8 D1 0
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LAS; 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

FDS9933A
                        Test this mosfet for shorts. See section 2 Shorted Transistors/MOSFETs

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=19
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

S1 and G1 measure .2 ohms;
                          S2 and G2 measure .3 ohms.

The two D1 pins look like they are joined together on the schematic, as do the two D2 pins.

All measurements are done with the chip out of the circuit and on my dining room table. It was also the first smd component I have ever removed from a board, and it went easier than I expected. Putting it back is another matter, but I'll get it in.

Looks like two shorts, yes?

Comment

S1 and G1 measure .2 ohms;
                            S2 and G2 measure .3 ohms.

Putting it back is another matter, but I'll get it in.

Looks like two shorts, yes?
                            1) Shorted. Replacement at digikey for 99 cents.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...ACT-ND/1849924

or Newark for 59 cents + 15% off

http://www.newark.com/fairchild-semi...6?Ntt=FDS9933A

2) I like this video for soldering SMD (short 9 minute video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
                            Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Oh, my I finally get to use my coupon!!!

I will also be ordering an NPN transistor to calibrate my soon-to-be-arriving Blue ESR tester kit. My bill just doubled.

Thanks Retiredcaps. Your insight is very much appreciated. I will get back to the list as soon as I make the repair and will report how it went.

LAS.

Comment

At 58 cents, I would get 2 since it is your first SMD solder attempt. If all goes well you will have a spare.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This good advice Retiredcaps. I also watched the Youtube video last night - that guy is really good at what he does and my big takeaway was flux, flux, flux.

Comment

I had read earlier about the use of an 1157 auto bulb - but I was mistaken. .
                                    You probably read about using an 1157, but as a load for the power supply.

I often use one just to see if the supply can handle a load, sometimes the 12v supply will measure fine, until you put a load on it.

Really the best substitute for a suspect CCFL, is a known good CCFL.

Now and then I get an unrepairable monitor (broken screen, MCU made from unobtainium) and I'll keep the CCFLs for testing.
                                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

That's interesting smason. When you put a load on a bad 12v power supply, what happens? Does the reading go way down? Pop a fuse?

Also, can anyone recommend a source for a Samsung ccfl wire assembly for testing purposes? Digikey? Mouser? CCFL Warehouse?

Comment

That's interesting smason. When you put a load on a bad 12v power supply, what happens? Does the reading go way down? Pop a fuse?
                                        Usually the output voltage just drops, or disappears. Depends on what's wrong with the supply. Most often it just works, which tells me the power supply is fine, and to concentrate on other circuits.

Here's an example. Plasma TV, dead. No 12v. Unplug the Z sus board and the 12v is fine. Is it the Z sus shorted, causing the 12v to drop, or is it the power supply unable to supply the Zsus?
                                        Quick easy test, clip an 1157 on the power supply with the Zsus disconnected. If it lights bright, and the 12v stays stable, bad Zsus.

Though technically you could measure the resistance of the 12v inpit to the Zsus and see it's shorted, but that's an example.
                                        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Also, can anyone recommend a source for a Samsung ccfl wire assembly for testing purposes?
                                          1) These guys have some pre-harnessed ones on blowout sale for $4.50. I can't tell from the picture if they are the typical 2 wire connector or not.

http://ccfldirect.com/blowoutlamps.html

Shipping is $3.99 for USA customers.

The pre-harnessed ones are really nice and easy to replace.

Give them a call or send them an email.

2) I know budm has an entire stack of them from his volunteer job at the recycle facility.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=32
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X