X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yay... a Samsung PS-50Q96HD!

Final best settings

Vs 211V (orig: 207V)
    Ve 114V (orig: 94V, high Ve removes burn in artefacts on edge of panel)
    -Vsc -201V (orig: -190V, high -Vsc improves discharge in dark areas of panel)
    Va 65V (do not tweak, leave at factory default)
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Do settings like these shorten panel life ?Not that it's not a worthy trade off if so.

Comment

Vs going to 211V won't harm much. I did briefly up Vs to 225V, but wow, did it buzz!! I imagine that would significantly shorten panel life because it increases the energy of the sustain process, and that increases the rate of ion implantation in the panel... which is what causes mal discharge in te first place. That is why I want to avoid putting it too high.

I have usually found old Panasonic plasmas (FHD and HD) to be "sparklies free". Panasonic designed the drive waveforms better than Samsung...

13,000 hours on it, not too shabby... Most Samsungs I get have a lot less life on their clock.
        Last edited by tom66; 01-26-2014, 11:15 AM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Note - I eventually knocked Vs to 215V. The main reason behind doing this is it makes the panel warm up quicker - 90% of sparklies are gone in 2 minutes using this configuration, and the last go within about 20 minutes.

Time to tackle a 52" Sharp AQUOS next.

Comment

Uh remember the Pioneer? still running after sixty thousand hours and still running absolutely perfect with no sparkles after A fine tune
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Yeah and I have had Panasonic plasmas with the same hours as Samsung/LG and yet never a single sparky... Samsung and LG failed to get it right first time with those drive waveforms ... as panel gets older, they need to adjust them.

This Samsung had just over 13,000 hours.

Comment

basic principle quality over quantity
                Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Funny you should say that....

I had a Samsung 42B457 that had 14,800 hours.....

There wasn't a sparkly in sight.....
                  --Maybe that issue is more with the 50" series.......

My 42C450 with only 2,500 hours when stone-cold however, has some slight mal-discharge in black areas, (very slight red spots) which isnt really noticable, so Ive not done anything about it yet. All volts as factory settings

I have a LG 42V7 thats de-cased and on the bench at work, that no matter What you do with voltages etc, set-up/dn, has green sparklies, Was improved by reduction of Vs by 5v but not cured.

Luck of the draw probably!
                  Last edited by Alastair E; 02-06-2014, 01:21 AM.
                  TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                  http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                  PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I think it's a matter of generations of panels... Q series and C series were 2007 panels and B serious is a 2009 panel... More time to get it right in other words. 42V7 is also 2007. But Panasonic did better research... My university has a couple of 2001 Panasonic plasmas which are still working perfect. Hardly any burn in either.

Alistair, try dropping "cell light" or "brightness" user option and the sparkles may go.

Comment

glad its fixed tom even better when the sets cost nothing i guess did it need many parts in the end to get it sorted?

Comment

£25 for power board from a friend, £6 in FETs and resistors to fix that power board and it fired right up.

Comment

not bad at all then nice when there a easyish repair you had anymore luck from the free sites?

Comment

Have been busy clearing out what I do have - so none yet as I haven't posted in the past few weeks.

Comment

same as too be honest as may have to move flat soon.Theres been loads of faulty ones on my local gumtree lately about the £30.00 mark but people are also asking the same for smashed screen ones i never pay anything for a smashed screen set if i can help it.

Comment

Thanks Tom--and sorry to mess your thread up with my different model set issues...

BTW--That offer still stands in way of thanks, Let me know if you need anything--Got lots of different make stuff, not just those we discussed.
                                TELEFIX

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I'll certainly consider that, thanks! I try my best to do component level repairs but sometimes it's very difficult to do, in the case where others have messed around before.

Comment

I'm getting back into component-level on these 'new-fangled' flat-screen sets.....

An old CRT guy me, started out in the Trade in 1980--There were still Valves (Tubes) in common use in sets of the day--And I miss them terribly!
                                    --Its mad, I still remember all the 'common stock-faults' of the sets from that period.....

A phone-call from a customer, make and approx age given, plus a description of the issue, and sure enough, we could likely fix it on the first attempt--Those were the days, of screens so grimy from tobacco you could hardly see the picture,--let alone the TV chassis, and the mouldy toast hidden under the I.F. Strip in an old Thorn set, because the previous engineer didn't dare eat it due to the dirty state of the house--Only finding it due to you trying to hide the toast the woman insisted on giving you, with the weak, cold cup of--something-- it came with, in the stained cracked cup with cat-hairs on!

Doing yourself a huge injury carrying a 26" SABA Telecommander down three flights of stairs, and making a 26" Philips G9 do a double-summersault while tripping over a ruck in the carpet, landing upside-down and still working afterwards......Those were the days, We had some fun!

You youngsters got it easy!
                                    TELEFIX

Comment

Working...
                                    X