Servers what is required cpu ram hdd etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Servers what is required cpu ram hdd etc

So what would be required 100,000 to 10,000,000 active users.
    The server would be using PHP and MySql.
    With 50,000 to 2,000,000 hit's per minute.
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Re: Servers what is required cpu ram hdd etc

for a forum?
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

my friend has asked me to ask this he wants a server to run his site that will not slow down at all even with those number of accounts/hits/users.
      I guess it would have a forum too as well as ad hosting
      My pc
      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
        So what would be required 100,000 to 10,000,000 active users.
        The server would be using PHP and MySql.
        With 50,000 to 2,000,000 hit's per minute.
        It would probably be best to find a site that is as similar to the one you want to set up, and then find out what they are running on. Hardware requirements would vary tremendously depending on what the software has to do do.

Don't forget the network. 2M hits per minute is a huge load. If the average packet is 512 bytes that's 2M * 512/60 = 17 MBytes/sec. That's beyond what a 100baseT line can carry when maxed out.

I'm guessing that "a" server is not going to be the answer if the thing is really that busy. More like a group of servers with a router set up to spread the hits out among them.

Comment

mathog your math is farily messed up. Just because people will access 'a page' dosen't mean they will be downloading at a 17MB stream. Web sites are bits and pieces of data, unless this is a download server.

why not just go with a regular host like 1&1? its cheap, and they manage the backup, and have some serious bandwidth

Comment

This is totally impossible to answer without allot more details on the software setup
            For bare html files nginx could handle this load on a really slow computer

If we are talking dynamic content served via PHP on Apache (or worse on IIS) then it's going to take more than one server

The question you have been asked is akin to "what color does a car have, if it's a station wagon?"
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              If we are talking dynamic content served via PHP on Apache (or worse on IIS) then it's going to take more than one server
              thats not nesseccarly true. it all depends on the content, how many database queries your scripts use

you can get a badass dual 12-core operon server with linux server, 24gb of ram, some 15k SAS raid 10 hard drives, one for OS, one for mysql, and it can handle a hell of a whole lot without having to have 2 servers.

Comment

Yea yea, sure
                But I don't really consider that a "normal server" (at a certain point leased dedicated servers becomes very expensive, usually much cheaper to rent two smaller ones than one monster machine)
                And btw, for large sites like that it's the only thing I consider, some homebuilt hosted from home solution will simply never be reliable enough (for me that is)
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                X