RCA RLED4778A No Backlight no Pic No Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RCA RLED4778A No Backlight no Pic No Response

Should there be about 65ohms between any rails ? I'm getting that between the 1.8v supply and ground.

Comment

that would generally indicate a shorted CPU to me.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I don't see a separate micom to control standby functions. Do cheaper sets like this use the main processor for that ?

Comment

I ask because standby seems to work. When power button is pushed light turns blue and set is unresponsive until power plug is removed and reinserted.

Would be a strange fault for the processor to work and then freeze up, no ?

Comment

Yes, this uses one processor to do both, and it is odd. It is also plausible the regulator is bad.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I tore the heatsink off it. It is a Renesas RA... uses 1.2, 1.8 and 3.3v supplies. The question is are the lower voltages switched on at power up ? Will check that when I can.

I remember the voltages at the regulators testing good.

Comment

1.2V is the core, 3.3V is IO.
                1.8V might be for analog interface. It's odd for it to use both 1.2V & 1.8V.

Comment

That info is according to their website. Can't remember the full part number atm.

Now that I think about it I believe the 1.8v and the 1.2v lines share the same low resistance to ground. Is there anything in common between the two other than the processor ?

Comment

Capacitors, and sometimes 1.8V will be used by memory or other ICs on the board.

Comment

Crap. A shorted mlcc is nearly impossible to find isn't it ?

Comment

Ordered a main board. Hoping for compatibility as it's not an exact match as per sticker data.

Will post back...

Comment

I'm sure that will fix it,as it sounds very strongly like a bad voltage regulator to me on the main board...
                          Vizi......oh....oh..... are notorious for the exact same problem.....0.12 volt out of spec on one regulator and nothing else then powering on,non responsive after start up....
                          Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

This board was suffering a short, likely in the main processor.

Comment

Replacement main board fixed the tv. I measured the five regs on the good board vs the bad board and they are identical. Well, one reg was 0.02v lower can't see that causing a problem...

This working board also showed the same low(ish) resistance to ground from the reg outputs so now I don't really know what to think as to what the actual failure was.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I have the same TV on my bench with the same problem - it initializes occasionally when power is applied, will turn "on" according to the power LED, but won't turn off.

I'm new to flat screen TV repair but not to electronics. The supply voltages are present and within spec when the machine is turned on but there's no other sign of activity.

mmartell, can you tell me where you found your board, and if it's an RCA board? If it's a Sceptre or some other board, does that make any difference beyond the startup screen?

I did see the other thread about the Sceptre TV.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comment

I found the board on ebay and it was an RCA though I was prepared to use another brand hoping that the only difference would be the splash screen.

These are rare boards. Search for the "12035..." number (going from memory). Then match the sticker on the back as best you can.

Comment

Update:

I froze the board for a while (in the freezer) which didn't help so I baked it at 300ºF for 10 minutes. That was 2 days ago and it's worked fine ever since!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                      Standby light lit and set responds to power up by changing red standby light to blue. Other than that no indication of any life. Will not go back into standby and power must be cycled at the mains to go back into standby.

All voltages present at PS after power up.

I'm thinking main/driver board/tcon in that order.

This is an LG panel and probably other internals. One and a half years old.

Need advice on how to narrow this down as I'm not familiar with failure modes on this set and there are no schematics/manuals that I can find.

Pics are of PS, main, driver board. Tcon buried atm.

Hello I'm Dominic
                                      Looks like we all have the same problem, searched with all my contacts and still no luck, any luck on your end?

Comment

Read the previous 3 or 4 posts to find out two different resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinK View Post
                                          Update:

I froze the board for a while (in the freezer) which didn't help so I baked it at 300ºF for 10 minutes. That was 2 days ago and it's worked fine ever since!

Kevin
                                          I found that freezing the processor caused the display to come on. I tried Kevin's suggestion of baking the board at 300F, but two caps just popped and now I am looking for a new board (I might try replacing the caps if the board is not available.) Maybe should have tried 250F?

Comment

Working...
                                          X