Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung Ps50c680 2/6ths of screen black. Replaced y buffer. Scrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Ps50c680 2/6ths of screen black. Replaced y buffer. Scrap?

Hi Guys

I have a samsung 50" plasma with large areas (horizontal bands) of the screen permanently black. Tv works fine above and below them and menus also do not show up within the bands.

The Y buffer has 6 tabs going to the panel and tabs 4 and 5 seem to be the culprit...matching the black band areas which are equal to 1/6th of the screen each.

I have swapped the y buffer board but this has not cured it...exactly the same fault remains.

I am suspecting its the panel as I cannot see how anything else could give this effect...anything else I can try before scrapping?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Samsung Ps50c680 2/6ths of screen black. Replaced y buffer. Scrap?

Are the connections on the X-main side ok? The fault you describe is very unusual. Any cracks in the panel?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Good to have an unusual fault for debating.

Panel appears undamaged.

I haven't paid much attention to the x main...connections seem fine. The 4 tabs don't seem to be correlating to the banded area. Could there be something there?

Comment

could we have a picture of the fault? what you're describing kind of sounds like a panel issue these black bars at span horizontally consist of individual lines in a group it sounds and what you're saying is the menu coincides with in the area above or below the black bars but you can't see anything through them right? It kind of sounds like a panel issue and I have seen this a few times with Samsung's. somehow wear the ribbon cable meets into the panel where it is fused they become detached from the connection where it goes into the phosphors. Not repairable
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I can post a pic later but its simply an approx 8" solid uniform black band approx 4" off the bottom of the screen.

It may just be the most boring pic ever...

Comment

This is Badcaps. That shit is exciting around here

Comment

Well played mmartell!
              Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Well, feast your eyes on the enclosed pic.

The band is black not grey as may seem on the pic.

Thanks chaps
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the pic, maybe my diagnosis about tabs 4 and 5 may not be 100% accurate....

Screen is 25" high in total. top section is 8", black band is 13" and bottom is 4".

So, it may be tabs 3,4 and 5 not working

Comment

Originally posted by caveman11 View Post
                    I have swapped the y buffer board but this has not cured it...exactly the same fault remains.
                    I think you can rule out the buffer so either panel or ribbon/connection. Do you have any history on this set ?

Comment

Working...
                    X