Lg 50pk950 hdmi inputs stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lg 50pk950 hdmi inputs stopped working

Has anyone successfully repaired one of these without having to replace the Main Board?

The service manual talks about redownloading something called EDID in the troubleshooting section specifically for this symptom....anyone know what that is and how to do it?

Shopjimmy has a good photo of the Main Board:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebt60955...50pk950-ua.htm

Re: Lg 50pk950 hdmi inputs stopped working

Tried firmware upgrade yet?

Comment

You could have had an hdmi controller IC go bad. It happens especially if static electricity or a surge went into an hdmi input. This is labeled IC200 on your board..
      Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-29-2015, 11:56 PM.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I didn't do the firmware upgrade because it says it has the latest firmware version; do you think it would still be worth a try or will it even take the same version again?

Yes, I realize it might have a bad IC and I hope it doesn't. I don't fancy changing one only to go to all the trouble and have that not even be the problem.

The schematic is available on Elektrotanya and you guys can read about the EDID if you want. Can I link to it here? Anything against the rules about that?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

You can link it here. EDID would not normally cause this fault - without valid EDID most sources would fall back to lowest common denominator, i.e. something like 720p or 576p which is likely to be supported by all platforms...
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              You can link it here. EDID would not normally cause this fault - without valid EDID most sources would fall back to lowest common denominator, i.e. something like 720p or 576p which is likely to be supported by all platforms...
              Thanks, Tom. There is some troubleshooting in the S/M for no HDMI if you want to read it. I use Elektrotanya sometimes and that's where I found the S/M:

Probably don't need to tell you, but just don't click on the ads. The download link appears below the "document preview" where it says, "This file is downloadable free of charge: Get Manual" (it will say get manual after it loads)

Comment

Bumparino!

Comment

You can measure the +3.3V_HDMI and +1.8V_HDMI supply voltages for the HDMI switch(IC800) and see if they are right. One of the steps in the troubleshooting guide is to check/redownload the EDID, but a service remote must be used. Another step is to measure IC800 and see if there is any data on it's HDMI outputs, but I presume a digital scope must be used for that. Here is link to training guide for your model: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3442af9b32.pdf
                  Last edited by Neelix; 02-03-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to supply all that info! I will see what I can do! I might just try to find a replacement main board if it's cheap enough.

Comment

99% of the time, bad HDMI is surge damage to HDMI receiver IC, which unfortunately is quite diffficult to replace, without replacing whole main board.
                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Shame your not in UK as I now have an IR rework station

Comment

So it looks like I need to replace the Main board, which sadly, I cannot find for less than $250.00 (U.S.). Too much to make it worthwhile. You guys have any sources for this board? Here are the numbers:

board number: EAX61557904

part number: EBT60955910 (subs to EBR68027905)

Comment

Also, I noticed a little green tac-switch on the Main board (SW700) and naturally I wonder aloud, "What happens if I press this little button? Could it be the magic button that somehow sends the TV into a blissful state of rapturous joy?" In other words, is this some sort of a reset button or just service mode button of some kind? Anyone know what it will do? I assume I would press it while the TV is on? Would sure be nice if solving this issue was as simple as that.

One thing that keeps nagging me is the guy that previously owned this kept going on about his son using the TV for gaming and how afterward, he would have a hard time switching back to another HDMI input and he kept rattling on about the"SIMPILINK" feature of LG TVs being to blame. Any of this have any sense to anyone? I suppose it could have been damaged by frequent hot-swapping?

Comment

SIMPLINK is LG's name for CEC, it lets you control amplifier volume / Bluray player / etc from your TV remote. I can't imagine that causing any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                SIMPLINK is LG's name for CEC, it lets you control amplifier volume / Bluray player / etc from your TV remote. I can't imagine that causing any issues.
                                Yeah, I didn't think so and I dismissed his words. Any thoughts on the mysterious green tac-switch?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

SW700 is for reset yes(page 133 of training manual), but they don't say what exactly is reset when pressing the switch

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                                      SW700 is for reset yes(page 133 of training manual), but they don't say what exactly is reset when pressing the switch
                                      So I guess I could try pressing that when it is on and see what happens...

Comment

Try it as a last resort, if you have nothing else to try and don't care if the board gets trashed somehow. Maybe try doing it with the power off first, just in case doing it with the power on causes damage.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X