and yet another Samsung 400 series plasma panel bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and yet another Samsung 400 series plasma panel bad

just picked this one up with a broken HDMI connector which was shorting out the main board. I had a main board here and it was from a insignia model Samsung knock off. Had to modify the back cover a bit to make it fit but however after powering it up I thought I had a perfect 720p picture but long and behold I'm presented with vertical lines on the screen. just lovely. why the hell did Samsung cheap out under Walmart Samsung models with their 720p panels? X buffer IC's or just horrible. Very little active cooling in one small aluminum bar going across the bottom that they're all attached to be cool them off.. this is the fourth or fifth panel I have run into the same problem. This TV is a pn50B400.

I can't sell this piece of crap. I just get to sit here and watch it grenade
    Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-03-2015, 01:38 AM.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Re: and yet another Samsung 400 series plasma panel bad

oh and by the way you know what the funny thing is? this mainboard that came out of its insignia counterpart that panel had the same problem except way worse it was just filled with lines and one chip on film was actually smoking. Way to go Samsung

anyway thet panel of doom is a model S50HW-YB05. so anybody runs into one of these TVs to repair for the possibility of resale run from it as fast as you can
    Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-03-2015, 02:09 AM.

Comment

The B-series has been very problematic for Samsung. Of all vendors, panel failures are most common on Samsung -- LCD or plasma. It's probably because Samsung's attitude to warranties is to ship the customer a refurbished TV, more often than repairing their TV. But, at least the Y-main is worth a little, I believe, as it is a common failure.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Good to know. I have two of them.

Comment

At least you can have fun. Take off the X-buffer heatsink, see how long it lasts... I'd be interested to see a Sammy PDP self destructing...

Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

actually Tom I did this with The insignia version of the Samsung that I pulled the main board from for this one. I was thinking just like you at the time I had one before go up in smoke another one lasted about 5 minutes and funny thing is when the TV was on with a white full screen haha all of a sudden I start getting random color lines all over the screen popping up over a five minute span.

Eventually one of the ribbon cables smoked so bad it Shut down and it started clicking on and off in a reset. this was being caused by a direct short to VA to ground. I wish I would have taken a video of it now. It was about a year ago. by the time it decided to short out and start shutting the power supply down there were black lines white lines red lines blue lines green lines purple lines and black bars spanning about an inch wide all over the screen it was completely jacked up. the funny thing is you could smell it burning in the atmosphere they had this really toxic plastic burning smell it was weird. during the 5 minute span near the end the power supply was shut down like every 30 seconds and come back on while VA ribbons wpuld momentarly short to ground until it finally died completely
            Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-04-2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I firmly believe that if they did a better job with the heat sink for these X buffers these panels would not be having a problem. The problem is is that down in the bottom of the TV space is extremely compromised so they cut down on the amount of heat sinking for these Buffers. when I look at any other 50 inch PDP panel the heat sink is moderately big thick and built well this one is a strip of metal

Comment

Haha sounds amazing, I might just have to do it myself on a bad panel sometime.
                This is a bit more extreme:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkvQ9aWM0DE

Comment

omg!! freakaftr8 currently is looking in the garage for the old arc welder transformer! Haha

Comment

Awesome! I had to watch it a few times!

Lets crank it to the max... ABSOLUTE POWER!

Comment

Working...
                    X