• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony CECH-ZED1U Playstation 3D LED TV - Two Red Flash

Thanks, that was rather confusing!

Comment

Originally posted by as1 View Post

Hola, acá te deja la imagen con las indicaciones, fijate que hay una pata que no se conecta. Lo que te recomiendo es que uses alguna plaquita como la de los adaptadores de SOP8 a DIP para hacer las conexiones. Saludos
      Hola, tengo una pregunta para usted, me podria decir el valor de ohms de las resistencias R201 y R202?? estan alado del eeprom, por accidente las desolde y las perdi. gracias

Comment

Muy bien, creo que ya tengo todo, ahora que sigue??
        Attached Files

Comment

Can somebody help me? i accidently desolded 2 resistors when i was taking off the eeprom chip, the on board number for these resistors are R201 and R202, they are on the right side of the eeprom U4,, if somebody can tell me whats the ohms value of these two, that will be great, thanks in advance

Comment

I can't tell you for sure; but usually resistors like that are of two types. Either they are pull-up/pull-down resistors (in which case they'll be a few kohm) or they are series current limiting resistors (10-100 ohms typical). Most likely they will be the series type with this type of device. A clear, detailed picture of the area in question will help tell which - it needs to be very sharp so that the individual traces can be seen. The value is rarely critical, and for the series type I've used a blob of solder as a short circuit before without issues (the resistors are primarily used to reduce EMI rather than improve the operation.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

hi tom66, thanks for your reply, i still have the resistor R202 on the board, the only one i need is the R201, i said i lost it too because i wanted to make sure it was the right value,, and the value for R202 is 22 ohms, do you think R201 has the same value??? i try to take a clear picture of the area, but this is the clearest i could get it
              Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately the photo needs to be much clearer. I need to see something like this. (This photo was taken with a smartphone - a Galaxy S4 to be specific. Use of a camera with true macro capabilities will help.)
                http://i.imgur.com/NWQlgCs.jpg

It may also help to clean the board with a little IPA or flux cleaner before taking the photo.
                http://i.imgur.com/G3tPkFt.jpg

In order to figure out what the resistor is, it's necessary to know how the traces connect in that area.
                Last edited by tom66; 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

hi tom66, i couldn't get a better picture of the area, i just soldered a 22 ohm resistor on R201 and on R202, and now the LCD is working ,, do you think it will affect the lcd later on if that's not the right value of the resistor?? thanks in advance

Comment

It should be ok if it's working now

Comment

I have one of these monitors, and I haven't heard anyone mention the control buttons on the back of the unit. There are several buttons on the right rear. From the top down:

1: on-off
                      2: input; i.e. HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 or Composite
                      3: Volume up
                      4: Volume down
                      5: Menu
                      6: 3D

Hope this helps.
                      howie8
                      PS Anyone know where I can get a video driver for this monitor?

Comment

FIXES for Sony 3D Display. I want to share my fix for this great monitor.

I have it fitted with 2 TurboFans - as it was ultra hot compared to any monitor I owned - so I did this after reading it on the web.

Then I had the 2 red leds blinking problem all of a sudden.
                        I tried all keys/combinations to reset the monitor with no luck. Even tried by remote control (using an Android phone).

So I ordered a flashed EEPROM from eBay and butane solder to replace it.
                        While it arrives I couldn't stop reading this forum, which is great BTW.

Then I read on the net about shorting the EEPROM.

Datasheet for pinouts:

What I did was, grab a small wire:
                        Shorted pins 6 and 8 (SCLK to VCC). Turn on the monitor. No luck.
                        Shorted pins 6 and 4 (SCLK to GND). Turn on the monitor. No luck.
                        I noted one of the pin may not be soldered properly. So I applied some heat to the wire and touch the pin.
                        I was getting tired of no luck, and honestly about the monitor. I recalled someone said that heating the chip will fix it. So I did that. I heated it with a small flame from a lighter, 5-10 seconds. Turn on. No luck.
                        No luck means: Blue LED. Then Green LED. Then Red LEDs blinks 2 times.

Then I unplugged it from the AC. And plugged it again.

BINGO! Pressed Power button, Blue LED, Green LED, then Yellow LED, as it had no signal. Yellow LED is what you want to see.

I know this worked because I tried hundreds of stuff and none worked. Anyway I've ordered the EEPROM to replace it in case this fails again. But I'm really considering for the next time I will repeat this procedure and will put WP# to Ground to avoid the monitor to make changes to the EEPROM again.

That will hopefully fix the issue for good.

Comment

For the reference none of my settings were changed after the "EEPROM fix".
                          I did the fix following a wiki on Samsung (never thought it would work on my Sony):
                          http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/UnB...y_EEPROM_Reset

For those of you thinking that setting HDMI control off and Quick Start to yes will prevent this from happening: they were like that before failing (red led blinks 2 times).

For those with a non-working menu key (refurb models?), I used Android remote control to get into the monitor's menu (just select the generic 'Sony' brand). I did that to set brightness/backlight to 2 which lowered the temperature of the monitor (and probably power consumption).

Please share your experience with this fix.

Comment

The monitor is still working. I still cannot believe I fixed it, I turned it off and on in different ways, by pulling the power suddenly, etc. The monitor is still working flawlessly.

Took me 24 hours of work and research. I think it may fail in the future because I didn't turn ON the Write Protection (WP#) of the chip. Will share with you any outcome in the future.

I agree with someone here commenting that there are bugs in the firmware that corrupts the EEPROM, probably random or garbage writing in some sensitive areas. Interrupting the CLK line probably caused the CPU to reinitialize the EEPROM.
                            No user data was lost. I do not believe heating the EEPROM has anything to do with the fix.

Comment

The Display failed today. So after some tests I concluded that the problem is the EEPROM again. I refused to let this Display go because it was a gift to my nephew.

After an hour of different tests I now can say with confidence that heating the EEPROM is the only way to make my Display start. This after the damage of course. The heating is mild, the EEPROM is warm to the touch. Not hot, not even close to the CPU.

Heated slightly with a 25W light bulb for 10 seconds and the Display will start normally, flawlessly each time.

Heating must be applied each time you turn on the Display, unless you do not turn it off - which is not practical. Therefore I'm going to place a resistor on top of the EEPROM and wire it to the +5Volts from the USB port.

Why does the EEPROM show this behaviour? Is this the case for anyone else?

I have some ideas. As the Display is refurb this could mean that it failed initially (before refurb) because of temperature. This SONY display is really not well designed at all. Extreme temperature that can even be smelled from the distance, as it literally cooks the components.

For the record, I have placed 2 fans on the back, one ran by USB just on top of the CPU through the vents and another one directly on the Power source but outside the monitor, on top of the small square. I've opened some vents on top to help ventilate that area also.

My theory: if the temperature problem is not taken care of it could cook the EEPROM. Once the EEPROM is cooked it will start to behave erratically sooner or later. Another theory, does a 'cooked' EEPROM fails in winter and works fine in summer? It was my case!

Or is this a flaw on the design of this particular EEPROM? Replacing it will not fix the problem as many mentioned. Why? Because temperature problem is not solved.

So apart from cooling we now need heating to make the Display boot...

Comment

I wonder if it may have to do with the actual part itself. Maybe a different, but still compatible, EEPROM could be used.
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi all.
                                  Did anyone had a good copy of the U4 25L6406E.bin
                                  I've downloaded it from this forum, but zip is corrupted.
                                  Please share it with me if anyone have a good one.
                                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi all,
                                    What do you think would happen if, on a Display with an EEPROM chip that's still good, you grounded the WP# pin by putting a bead of solder between WP# and GND?
                                    Would this write-protect the chip?

Comment

Originally posted by pzacheo View Post
                                      After an hour of different tests I now can say with confidence that heating the EEPROM is the only way to make my Display start. This after the damage of course. The heating is mild, the EEPROM is warm to the touch. Not hot, not even close to the CPU.
                                      That is very interesting. You mentioned that you ordered a new EEPROM. Did you try installing it and did you have the same issues? I'm also curious on how your resistor heating mod turned out. These EEPROMs are rated to operate all the way up to 85°C but I think a good number would be around 35°C <b>IF</b> I had to heat it up. It is definitely not ideal. I installed my EEPROM about a week ago.

I plan on doing more tests but I have to wait until my new oscilloscope comes in!

Originally posted by xir1111011 View Post
                                      Hi all,
                                      What do you think would happen if, on a Display with an EEPROM chip that's still good, you grounded the WP# pin by putting a bead of solder between WP# and GND?
                                      Would this write-protect the chip?
                                      I actually plan to remove power from the WP# if my TV takes a dive again. This would ensure a write-protect. The only thing I would consider is if shorting the two pins together would be good for the rest of the motherboard. Something will be trying to provide voltage to WP# and you will be shorting it to ground. The best solution to test would be to isolate WP# and then ground it. You could carefully attempt to lift WP#'s leg from the board.
                                      Last edited by lazyace; 05-30-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzacheo View Post

Or is this a flaw on the design of this particular EEPROM? Replacing it will not fix the problem as many mentioned. Why? Because temperature problem is not solved.
                                        Hola, en mi caso reemplazar la EEPROM fue la solución, yo creo que Sony compro memorias de segunda que no pasaron el control de calidad y por eso comprando una nueva se resuelve.

Saludos

Comment

I repaired one of these today with the help of the contributors to this thread but feel it's doomed to fail without finding the root cause. I google the part number looking for instances of "corruption" and there were very few hits making me think it's a design flaw of some sort in the support hardware.

Meh, when it fails again I will have a closer look at the supply. Maybe it's diving below the chips threshold at times and beating it up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X